"Tails" Of Two Fish 9/22/04 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: "Tails" Of Two Fish 9/22/04

Paxton
09-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Had the pleasure of fishing yesterday and today with Jim Simms, his friend Frank and son Chris. Yesterday we fished SB on a North wind day and although we all picked up fish.. tough day....together we sighted 6 fish in 8 hrs.. All but one fish, were caught via blind casting.
Today, for me, was a day of extremes and quite eventful! A 'Tail" of 2 fish at the extreme to say the least. We fished the outgoing bay side in the morning and I managed a 3 inch silverside, which was snared via the retrieving of my 4 inch silverside fly. :) Not much of a fight.....but at least not skunked :chuckle:
The PM we went east side, fished the incoming and I picked up my very first F.A. :eek:
I've read about it, I've heard about it, but to be honest, was totally unprepared for the encounter I experienced. I was and 6 hrs. later, am in total awe of this remarkablke species of fish! In less than one minute I lost 200 yds. of my 250 yds of backing. Forunately the tippet didn't break, the reel didn't start smoldering, the rod didn't explode and the knots all held. :)
I feel like I won the Gold medal at the Olympics. I will never forget my first F.A.!
Special thanks must go to Jim Simms....as the school of FA's exploded, he told me when and where to cast....yelled at me to run down the shore to retrieve line before I got spooled (I knew to do that, but was in such awe, I just yelled to Jim..."I'm almost out of backing" ). Thank you James!!!!
Now I understand what many of you described on this site. It is a special experience and one that I hope everyone who reads this thread experiences soon, if not experienced already!
Ron

Slinger
09-23-2004, 01:33 AM
This is a good year for the Alberts. They seem to be in good numbers all over. I dropped a couple in the Canal this morning and tuned them up in South County this afternoon. They have been known to turn jaded stripermen into fanatics. Of the few I got today, one was a brute making the others look small, I really thought that he was going to destroy my 10 wt.
Slinger

jfbasser
09-23-2004, 10:13 AM
The truth about the Alberts this year is directly related to the quantities of surf candies that Slinger tied over the winter. It was a tough winter here in the Northeast and at last count in March, Slinger had tied 1,862 surf candies. At the canal the other morning I found one in the parking lot which Slinger i.d.'ed as his! He claimed he dropped it but I know I saw him covertly chumming the rips in the Canal with them. He has also been seen chumming with them out is truck window as he goes over bridges. He is expected to run out this weekend. After that I expect the Albies will make a quick exit:biggrin:

Dble Haul
09-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Oh yeah, Paxton.....oh yeah..... :cool:

Things are lookin' good for the weekend crews!

See you all out there. :)

BigDave
09-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Awesome report...talk about a day turning around in the right direction!

jimS
09-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Ron, (Paxton), handled the FA like a pro. It is amazing that a fish can make a man's heartbeat increase, start twinging the appendages; but that is what a false albacaore will do to you.

There are quite a few around. Be ready with fly in hand ready to cast. They are here one second and gone.

Great job Ron. The ultimate will be to get Amy into them! See ya Saturday.

Simms

Paxton
09-27-2004, 07:19 PM
Thanks to the photograpy of Chris Simms, here is (if I did it right) is a pictue of the F.A. I caught earlier in the week. Thought you guys might appreciate it.
Ron

Paxton
09-27-2004, 07:21 PM
Obviously not done right...will consult with a neighbor tomorrow :-( Sorry about that!
Ron

Dble Haul
09-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Tease! :) :wink: