BWO Blanket Hatch [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: BWO Blanket Hatch

Brad
09-21-2004, 10:09 AM
We fished the in Wyoming on Sunday. It was overcast and rainy. We encountered a blanket BWO hatch in the early afternoon. I threw half a dozed beatis imitations without any luck. There were just too many naturals on the water. I remembered reading somewhere that during very heavy hatches to try something different. For the next hour or so we killed them on an 18 black ant. The ant had to be floating without drag but the fish hammered it. Just something to keep in mind.

Brad

Dble Haul
09-21-2004, 10:21 AM
What water were you fishing? I didn't quite get the info in your opening sentence.

Good advice about trying something different in a blanket hatch...thanks for sharing.

Brad
09-21-2004, 12:34 PM
I decided not to hot spot the water that we were on. They have enough greenies on that water already. If you make it out this way we can go. I wanted to take John D but it is quite a drive.

Brad

Dble Haul
09-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Fair enough....I just thought you might have omitted it by mistake in your first post.

Thanks for the offer. If I'm ever out that way, I'll give you a holler. :cool:

John Desjardins
09-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Brad, if I remember the stretch of water your talking about those were probably some nice fish. ;) Good tip to think different.