Funny Fish on the Cape - 9/20 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Funny Fish on the Cape - 9/20

jimS
09-20-2004, 07:39 PM
The last couple of days Albies have been showing in Nantucket Sound, and into the channels off Morris Island and the west side of N. Monomoy. As False Alabacore are known to do, they are here a few seconds and gone...

I have observed this for the last couple of days. Today they were busting on the incoming. Using a deep eel for bass, I switched to a size 4 half-and-half. While doing the switch, they began busting around me, and were gone by the time I made the switch.

Watching and waiting, they seemed to be gone as the tide rose. Nearing the time I was ready to leave the area, they began busting withing casting range. I lead the pod, bang, I'm on. I wasn't sure that it wasn't a blue, but after 100 yards of backing gone, I was pretty sure it wasn't a blue.

Long story short, I landed my first ablie, about 30 inches and estimated 10-12 pounds. Awesome fight, and what a beautiful fish. They were feeding on silversides as attested by the ones that were upchucked.

Get out there, they are there now!

Simms

rooster
09-20-2004, 10:10 PM
Hey Jim,
You lucky bugger. Sounds like you really did make it back to New England.
Congrats on #1 Albie, you are one ahead of me. Hope you and Mr. Ed have a great trip.
I just returned from CO, let the small bulls walk at the start of the trip and then couldn't find any bull willing to take the arrow! You know how it goes. The 5 of us did get 3 bears, one real nice mulie buck and a small elk, so ..., carne asada next June in W. Dennis.
CA crew says HI!
Talk to you soon.
Cheers,
DK

striblue
09-20-2004, 10:10 PM
So Jim... maybe this is another strong argument to opt for the North tip of South Mononomoy this weekend.

Slinger
09-21-2004, 12:29 AM
Dennis, I didn`t know you were an archer or we would have had a lot to BS about. Second to these FA`s there`s nothing I like more than sitting in a tree with my Darton! Rhoddy opens in a week but I`ve fallen under the spell of these funny fish.
Slinger

FishHawk
09-21-2004, 04:24 AM
Jim great news. Guess you'll know where we'll be when I hook up with you. A shot at the albies from the North Tip seals it for me. Just my .02
FishHawk :D

Roop
09-21-2004, 07:17 AM
That's one hell of a first albie to land, nice job.

GO catch some more.

rooster
09-21-2004, 09:12 AM
Yup Slinger,
If it wasn't for archery and flyfishing..., I'd probably be a good golfer! A mans' gotta have his hobbies!
We will talk about "catch and release" bowhunting next spring!
Cheers,
DK

BigDave
09-21-2004, 09:54 AM
30" albie is a trophy around these parts. Well done!