Wading sandals? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wading sandals?

nickcsus
09-16-2004, 01:42 PM
So am I crazy or not?

I have problems with my feet and find wading shoes very uncomfortable. I own a pair of inexpensive Hodgeman but find them (even at size 14) too painful and tight. My compromise has been to try using my stockingfoot breathable Hodgmans with either water shoes or rubberized sandals (like Teva's).

Now for the innovation. A friend suggested I get a pair of replacement felt soles, cut them to the right size, and shoe goo or epoxy them to the bottom of the sandals. This should I suppose give me more traction in the stream. I do OK for now, move slowly, and use my Leki hiking staff (much better and less expensive than the Simms staffs with the ball head, this one has an L-shaped head that gives more support). Whaddaya think? Am I going to kill myself or is this going to help me as I search for steelhead?

Nick

MJC
09-16-2004, 04:08 PM
You have more of a chance of killing yourself without the felt then with it. It is also a simple job to glue some felt on. I like Barge cement but any contact cement will work. Rough the rubber sole up a little with a corse grinding wheel, (caution, it comes off fast). You can also use indoor/outdoor carpet in place of felt.

flytyer
09-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Nick,

Gorilla Glue is even better than barge cement, can be had in bigger bottles, is easier to apply than barge cement, and it can be found at Lowe's and Home Depot along with most other home improvement or hardware stores.

JDJones
09-16-2004, 07:40 PM
Choata makes some wading sandals and you can get them with felt soles, maybe even with stream cleates. I got mine with regular rubber soles so I could also wear them on the street.
You may have a problem trying to get them in a large enough size to fit over (size 14) waders though.

nickcsus
09-16-2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys, looks like I have a project for the weekend! I will let you know if I make it back alive from the Feather River next Friday!

Nick

nickcsus
09-26-2004, 11:00 PM
Boy what a difference! I did up my sandals with the felt bottoms and it was amazing! I felt very stable out there and while not overconfidant, I was stable and had a much more enjoyable time on the water. Thanks for the feedback!