catch and keep colorado [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: catch and keep colorado

uzibear
09-14-2004, 05:13 AM
well, i've been looking at every reccommended stream i can find and i get excited everytime i see an eye grabbing "gold medal". however, i've got my heart set on taking a few trout home for dinner. it seems that makes me a derilict around here. i'm used to fishing off the south coast of Norway, and there we fished for food! any info on best places to catch and keep around here (i live in boulder). the closer the better, but i don't mind driving to find a good spot. i appreciate any advice on where, when (i'm eager to get fishing now) and what to use. please read: i am a total newbie with only one day on the water and four flys lost to trees. no info is too basic for me. plus, i've read a basics of flyfishing book, but have considered taking a class. i don't think i wan't to shell out for a guided trip, and i was thinking i might just be re-learning what i've read in a basic $20 class. is it really worth it? also, anyone need a fishing partner around here? will haul gear, can drive, am desperate to learn :razz:

Dble Haul
09-14-2004, 09:58 AM
Maybe I've missed something, but how has wanting to keep some fish to eat made you a derilict around here? As long as it's legal to do so, you shouldn't have any problems from anyone here about that.

FWIW, if you can find a class I would recommend taking it. It can provide much more than a book or video simply because it's so interactive.

Good luck.

Brad
09-14-2004, 11:10 AM
You missed his key phrase, "I live in Boulder". Boulder is full of Tofu eating, dredlock wearing, trust fund hippies. Of course you are going to be ostracized for killing any animal if you live in Boulder.

Dble Haul
09-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Ah, now I see. I understood "here" to mean the Forum, not Boulder.

Clear now. :)

uzibear
09-14-2004, 03:16 PM
ohh, i'm trying to use a little bit of humor here. all i'm saying is that most "classic" areas i hear about are catch and release only. mainly i'm trying to find the best places to catch and keep nearby.

sean
09-14-2004, 03:30 PM
The supermarket?

Skilly
09-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Probable Costco will be your best bet.

But, their should be some local lakes that have a put and take fishery.

Sorry thats the best I have to offer.

Skilly

LabanTayo
09-16-2004, 08:54 PM
the st. vrain, big thompson, and most of the rivers on the front range have catch and keep water. then it comes down to what kind of trout to catch. on fast water, bigger flies are better for the beginner. size 12-14 wulffs, trudes and humpies. i was just there a few weeks ago and did great with browns and cuttbows with white wulffs. most of the bigger fish will be deeper in the fast pocket water. fish pockets, creases and runouts of pockets and the still water near the banks. good luck.