Leaders/tippets for Fall on the Cape [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Leaders/tippets for Fall on the Cape

pcknshvl
09-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Basic questions: What kind, how heavy? I imagine short and stout for int. and sinking lines, with heavy flouro tippet (wire for blues)... I use a 10# bonefish leader for my floater and poppers for salmon on Puget Sound, usually about 12' long or so, but I imagine that may be too light for the Cape.

Thanks for the input!

Tom

juro
09-09-2004, 10:20 AM
You'll get an assortment of replies but since you are not going to be here during the flats season I would say:

- beach with sinking line... 4-6ft 15# tippet minimum, 20# with big flies in messy surf

- quiet estuaries and inlets with smaller flies and intermediate or floating lines... 7-9ft with 12# minimum, 15# better

- all purpose 7-9ft with 15# tippet in fall

No need for flouro, just bring some good ol' ultragreen maxima from Fred Meyer's on the way over ;)

Steel leader to mono is best done w/ surgeon's knot for blues

pcknshvl
09-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Flats season? Isn't that where you'll be guiding me (check your PM)?

Basic level mono seems to be the ticket, otherwise--Thanks!

Tom

juro
09-09-2004, 11:46 AM
The date offers a primo tide, but we can only pray for bright skies and/or bunker. Flats behavior is already shifting to fall activity so we will need to be flexible depending on weather and what's happening on the flats at the time of our outing.

Most likely we will in fact be on the flats, but if the weather fails it will be best to have options in inlets, rips, surf and estuaries where the fall bounty of bait brings the fish to feed.

My logs indicate the likelihood of larger bunker 3-4" that time of year which are the very best for big fish action on the fly. The smaller "pea" bunker are fed upon by the swarm like popcorn, where the large juvies are eaten like chicken fingers, one at a time. :)

Again it will be a matter of tuning into what is happening depending on water temps, bait, fish movement and the usual dose of **** luck.

Looking forward to it!

Lefty
09-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Fall fishing on the cape? :lildevl:
I'm biting my tongue :D

Lefty

juro
09-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Did I say Cape Cod? I meant CAPE ANN :lildevl: