Spectacular day in RI [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spectacular day in RI

Dble Haul
09-07-2004, 10:02 AM
What can I say, except that Labor Day in South County was perhaps the best saltwater flyfishing day I've ever had.

Bert and I started at dawn and took several schoolie bass and medium bluefish from an outflow near low tide. After breakfast, we went in search of albie action. We hit a few of the known haunts for these fish and although we saw them clearly working the first location, they were often out of reach and very flighty.

At our second location, we were told that bluefish had been in the area so I was rigged with a floating line and a popper. What appeared within minutes was a few pods of albies. Not wanting to run all the way back to the Pathfinder to switch over to a sinking line, I began to work the area in the hopes of triggering a surface strike. Believe it or not, I took the first albie on that very bluefish popper. After that initial fish, the area became a hotbed of action for about ninety minutes, and all five flyfishermen hooked with some regularity. I changed over to a crease fly and continued to get a few more albacore, and Bert scored with an epoxied craft fur fly.

After that action stopped and we went to put some food in our stomachs, we returned to the scene of the dawn activity for sunset. We were again rewarded, but this time with LARGE bluefish, several of which were in the ten to twelve pound range. These fish were absolute brutes on our ten weight rods, and for every fish landed there were several long distance releases. We continued fishing for about an hour or two after dark, and continued to catch fish. Finally, at about ten o'clock, we left weary but happy.

I've had days of catching more fish. I've had days of catching bigger fish. But the quality of this day, the qualtity of my fishing partner, and the quality of our fellow anglers who were complete strangers were all high. The cooperation and growing comaraderie among the five of us as the albie action increased was contagious. We made a few new friends, and I'm sure that we'll see them again. On top of all that, the weather was just wonderful.

The amount of bait and level of fish activity at this point in the season are good indicators for this fall.

On a final note, yesterday was the first time that Bert and I had ever taken albies on a flyrod. We finished with three apiece, and now completely understand the obsession that goes with these fish. We had set a goal for ourselves to finally put ourselves in position to cross paths with them, and the payoff was worth the twenty hour day.

Paxton
09-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Great report Mark...and...the nicest part, was that your day was not a dream! I've had those kind of days, but then I woke up :smokin: Congrats!!!!
Ron

BigDave
09-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Awesome day!

CascoBay
09-07-2004, 12:22 PM
Great report.. would have loved to have been down there to see it. I have still yet to tangle with the Tunoids.
Great to hear that you got your first Albie(second & Third Too)... not to mention on a bluefish popper! :lildevl: Days like that make it all worth while for years to come and really drive home that lust for this sport that is hard to explain to people who don't fly fish!

Aaron

Dble Haul
09-07-2004, 12:26 PM
I've been talking to a few folks today, and apparently it isn't too uncommon for albies to hit large surfcasting plugs when the fish are really active like they were yesterday. So I suppose that one hitting a bluefish popper shouldn't be much of a surprise to me....but in yesterday's bedlam I suppose anything could have happened.

Two words that go great together: TOPWATER ALBACORE! :)

FishHawk
09-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Great report. You got to love the challenge of flyfishing.
FishHawk :D

Striper
09-07-2004, 05:42 PM
Albies are the FlyFisherman's Cocaine :hihi: :D

M. Mayo

jfbasser
09-07-2004, 06:11 PM
It is also not uncommon to use a floating line for hardtails with bunker flies. I was not a believer at first having used an intermediate last year with some success. This year has been mostly floater giving the angler a chance to represent the fly to a school very quickly..nice catch :smokin:

From the Nearside

Quentin
09-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Congrats on the slams guys! Great report! I almost took a ride down there myself on Monday -- now I'm kicking myself for not going :rolleyes: .

It's good to hear that there seems to be a good run of albies this year. I'm on vacation next week (9/13 - 9/17) and I hope to get in on the action.

Q