Sb 9/3 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sb 9/3

Paxton
09-04-2004, 09:16 AM
The recent pattern of fish becoming more active and aggressive on the flats continued yesterday. Although that only applied yesterday to the last 2 hrs of the dropping a.m. tide to about 1 hr into incoming period. Was able to pick up 7 fish ranging from 18 to 24 inches, lost 2 others, had 2 other hits.....all this in 3 hours from 9:30 to 12:30. All fish caught on 4 inch sandeel pattern. Fish caught were the hardest hitting, hardest fighting fish (lb. for lb.) I've caught this year so far....major aggressive. Ran into Juro and clients, and he agreed that the fish were fiesty today.

Had tried the surf side as I got off the 8 a.m. drop. My intention was to fish the surf till 10 and cross over to the flats. Surf was WILD....recognizing this, I stood ankle deep at most and still almost got knocked over. Walked up a bit further to a relatively calmer surf area and was greated by our friends the seals who collected together like wool fuzz on flypaper, as I continued up the shoreline. They won, I left!

In the p.m.(last 3 hrs of incoming), saw plenty of fish. Had at least 20 head on shots of appoaching fish......not one turn/follow and even glance by a fish. Fish just swam by with an apparent sense of purpose that had nothing to do with me or my offerings. So, whatever confidence I gained in the a.m. was lost in the p.m. .
Of course, Juro yelling....."hurricane coming, vacate the flats immediately!!!!" probably had nothing to do with it :hihi:

striblue
09-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Great Report Ron.... and a Good day.

juro
09-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Paxton -

It wasn't the hurricane that cleared the flat... it was that 28ft GREAT WHITE with bits o' seal fur between it's teeth. :cool:

Certainly was a nice day on the flats, albeit chilly and windy. Several fat and fesity fish landed by my group and 100% sight fished. They stuck it out despite the wind putting a real chop on the surface, and it was their first time sight fishing so gotta give them high credits.

Not all that many days left guys... go out there and get 'em before it's too late!