Released! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Released!

Striper
09-03-2004, 03:57 PM
I was released from employment today, the reason given was doing my job???? First time I lost a job for actually doing my job. My boss is totally inept and incompetent and he saw me as a threat and due to my constantly exposing him for what he is I was on the losing end. Truly a blessing because the stress lately has been effecting my health and it was just a matter of time before I quit anyway, I just wanted to have another job lined up first but no matter he did me a favor and now I can concentrate on finding a new and hopefully more rewarding and happier environment than what I left. I have never been in a job where the stress was higher than this one, I think I am pretty good at handling stress and I am a great problem solver but this job was just too much even for me. A case of a company trying to do too much with too little, and that will spell the end eventually for them. My ex-boss will eventually dig himself into the grave and he is riding a very thin tightrope that will not hold his weight for much longer, it is my fault that I got terminated but only because I will not stand idly by and watch as someone screws up the works without voicing my concerns. I can live with myself because I know I told the truth and fought for my crew of guy's and went to battle for them, my system never ran as smoothly as it did since I was put in charge and he knew it and hated that fact. He could not get them to work as well as I could and that really pissed him off, he is not a people person and will never be any good at managing people the way he is. But enough of that I am free now and the timing is perfect, anyone wanting to go fishing let me know, the price is gas only and i will put you on to some fish. This is of course only if I don't become employed immediately which I hope does happen, but if not I am going fishing. Taking the crazy holiday weekend off as it doesn't look like there is much to chase right now anyway but next week hopefully the fish get active and I will be there to check it out.

Tightlines all,
Mike M.

Dble Haul
09-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Everything happens for a reason, and it sounds like this happened for the right reason.

Good luck with your new search, and keep chasing those fish. :wink:

FishHawk
09-04-2004, 03:16 AM
Mike I got released last Nov for no reason at all . All they said wasthat there were changes to be made. Just two years from retirement. Well good luck to all those people.
FishHawk :D

fliboy
09-04-2004, 07:35 AM
Mike,

Sorry to hear this news, but it sounds like it was impacting your health. Your health is much more important. I wish you the best in your finding a new position. Just like Dbl Haul said - everything happens for a reason.

Keep those posts coming, I find them very interesting.

Good luck and TL,

Dave

Adrian
09-04-2004, 11:07 AM
Good luck in the search Mike. Sounds like you are definitely better off out of there. The market is a lot better now than it was this time last year . Enjoy a bit of R&R in the meantime!

TimSt
09-04-2004, 12:27 PM
Just in time; the albies are here :) A bit tough in today's swell, but they're here, nonetheless.

Good luck with the job hunt!

Tim

striblue
09-04-2004, 02:15 PM
Mike, I don't know what to say except that these things are not surprising to me... there was once a time... when we were younger... that if you did your job well you would stay as long as you wanted... but today as it has been for "high end" jobs ....it's all about money. I was "asked" to leave Hancock... after all I was VP and had a big salary+ bonus... I thought about it and "cut" a deal... I left... last year and am still on salary for one more year...( I knew the company was going to be sold so I cut a deal with the guys I knew and who knew me) at that point I go right into my "retirement" pension... I lucked out... even with Kids going into College...I will be able to make it...BUT... sometimes I wonder whether I should have gone into Private practice and gine into trial law.... My OWN business... but then I saw the statistics... even trial lawyers.. when I was thinking about it... were on an average making $40,000- max... these are the guys you see with shingles over the variety stores.... Then again... I guess I did not have the "balls"... You will make it and you will be fine... Don't forget... most guys who work for companies move around..... today...5 years with one company is an acheivement ... 5 Companies and you are done and the 5 years vests your pension ...usually.... but then again... maybe is the time to look for that business... without a boss and politics..... I wish you luck and let me know if I can help out... I know a lot of people in Boston Business.... The funny thing for me is that another large company came to me and asked If I would "mind" to help out... I cut a deal for an hourily rate... sort of Consultant.... I do that, teach at the program I started at "Fishing The Cape" and am a Hearing Judge for the NASD on Securities law case... I am actually now at about the same place I was when I was at Hancock----Minus the bonus.......... You need to search for REDUCED stress... that is the key.......PS.. I logged back on to say that I know you will need to pay the bills...so take whatever job you can get... then while at that job...look for what you want to do... we all know that most of us are not having "FUN" at work... even the great "surgeons" are wondering if they did the right thing..It is rare to find someone who is happy in there work... maybe a writer... or some other profession... like maybe a ball player... etc... but... get that "carry over" job... then start to look for the opportunities.... so ... just get the money flowing back in... and learn... and look. You know what I mean.

Sorry this is a third edit... I can't help it ... my thoughts are flowing.... I remember my Dad.. a WW11 vet.... work for years at the Boston Navy Yard and got laid off during the Nixon administration when they closed the Yard.... He was a Chemist and a expert in Metalergy... a Spectosphy guy (sp).... so what does he do... I am in Law school at the time and they are still helping me pay for Law school...so... this guy gets a job as a mainatence worker at Brookline High school though his buddies at the VFW... I go down one day to pick him up and there he is... with his green unifom on...just finishing sweeping floors... and I look at this guy and I finally realize what this man is really like... what he is .. a child of the depression... no ego probelems here I say... so anyway.. this is transition and with his experience he finally ends his career at J Syvester Associaties , a private company in Rockland... an expert in what they need... years later. I see a friend of mine... a Dartmouth graduate and UMich Law school who got laid off from his high powered law firm... lives in a big house in Winchester. and a Member of Winchester CC... and where do I see him... at the Stop and Shop... BAGGING groceries... I thought this only happened in movies.. His oldest son had just been killed in a car accident and here he was... bagging groceries... a guy who was a recruiter for Dartmouth College in Winchester... I looked at him and he recognized me... and just . ...said... "John..I have to do what I have to do... Your ego is your worst enemy". He is doing this in the town he lives in. So... all I want you to remember is what he said to me... "You ego is your worst enemy". BTW... he finally got established where he belongs...a happy ending for both these guys.... My Dad is passed away.... Five graves from James Micheal Curly at old Calvery Cemetary in Boston... a closed Cemetary now...

jimS
09-04-2004, 08:55 PM
Hi Mike, Jim was moved by your situation and all the positive feedback that you are receiving, especially the comments from John, and asked me to read it. To which I say BRAVO!! I requested to respond for several reasons. I am a Kindergarten teacher in a small school in PA. The pay isn't great.......We have been 2 years without a contract, (which has just this month been settled). I am one of the lucky one who still loves what I do. What I don't love is constantly dealing with school boards and administrations who don't have a clue. Add "no child left behind" to that mix and it is a very stessful situation. But I. like you, constantly, call my superiors on the decisions or lack of them, that affect the children I serve. Needless to say that is one of the benefits of tenure but also one of the reasons it is very necessary.
However, my main reason for writing to you is strangely enough........my Father!! My Dad just turned 86 in August. He was orphaned when he was about 13 and fought for himself from that point on. He held many jobs as a teenager and learned valuable lessons from that. He graduated from high school at 16 having been promoted and skipping grades several times, no chance for a higher education. He worked for Allis Chalmers prior to WW II shoveling coal and returned there afterwards. Some of the people he worked for realized his talents and spoke up for him. Life took all of it's turns and he kept working hard and proving his interests in helping the company grow and improve.. There was a change of companies and several moves. Finally, when he was about 50 years years old, he was one of the choices for company President. The decision was truly based on the President not wanting to be shown up by someone else. The next seven years meant several moves from state to state and Dad was always asked to train new people to do the job he was doing. After these men were trained they also became a threat to the President and he let them go with "golden parachutes" that were unbelievable. Finally. in 1975, at the age of 57 he "retired". He couldn't stand it any longer! He had watched the President reduce the company from a multi-million dollar company to practically brankruptsy. He discussed this with my Mom and they agreed upon his decision knowing the financial straights that would be the consequences of such a decision. They felt his stress level and happiness were more important. Well he became involved in conculting work and then he and my Mom started a little craft business. They ended up with more money than they ever expected and true stressless happiness. They traveled all over with their little business and had 21 wonderful years together before she died. He is still doing well and never regrets or looks back. Doors always open when others close. Being true to yourself and what you believe is most important!! I believe this will be the case for you also.

Sometime you need to ask Jim about taking "early retirement" with 2 kids in college. Trust me when I say the timing wasn't great but the lack of stress and the relationships that he has developed with his 2 sons since then because he finally had time to enjoy them is, as Mastercard says "Priceless"! Good luck and my thoughts and prayers will be with you!!
P.S. I think that this web site for you guys to talk and support each other is absolutely wonderful.

striblue
09-04-2004, 09:35 PM
That about says it... and... Jim and I.. early retirement... I can tell you one thing... My real wish is to die of a Heart Attack on some secluded beach as I Land a 50 inch striper on a 9 wt and a 16 pound test.....Come into the world alone and go out alone... drifting with the tide.

juro
09-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Pam,

It's great to hear your perspective!

I too am displaced from a high-tech mid-mgmt position at an age where I now work three jobs to put one paycheck together - but I must say I have a certain sense of satisfaction from every little victory where I could work 70 hours before and come home beat and tight-chested with stress. I still come home beat now but with a smile.

You just made one of my endeavors absolutely "priceless" with your words of encouragement, on behalf of all who make the forum a special place thank you.

Mike - let's talk about the possibilities buddy!

John Desjardins
09-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Mike, it will get better. I've recently been through the job loss - new job cycle and managed to reduce the stress level on the new job. What has made a difference for me is that I'm back in a position, where I get a challenge on the technical side, and lost a lot of unrelated tasks along the way.

And as Adrian noted the job situation is better now than a year ago.

polareyez
09-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Mike,

I know it's tough, having been 'displaced" 3 times in the last 5 years. I too was in a real tough position at one time. A manger who was impossible to work with and too much work to get done. Looking back, I'm glad I'm out of there. Just think of it as another opportunity. Don't be fussy about title or salary. If something comes along grab it, and then, if you want, you can start looking for something else.

Keep in touch with your business contacts. Let them know you're looking for work. Networking may open some doors for you. Get your resume online. Find a couple of employment agencies and call them at least weekly.

The main thing is don't get down on yourself. There are many other good workers "in transition" now, through no fault of their own

Good luck

Striper
09-05-2004, 08:13 PM
I must say I am very touched by all of your heartfelt comments and it is very reassuring to know you guy's have been there and recovered to all do well. The position I was in was really a joke and the management people above me were really the epitome of the Peter Principle. The difference being that my boss was promoted to his level of incompetence when he joined the company :chuckle: . I can't even think about him or his ineptness anymore as it just makes no sense at all why he did and does the things he does??? I am not the type of person to keep their mouth shut and if I see a problem I immediately take the initiative to find a solution and hopefully find one that is more efficient. I also cannot stand by while my boss just treats my crew like crap and constantly takes money out of their pockets when they are busting their asses for the company. The real reason for him trumping up all of the invalid writeups on me was he was very concerned that my calling him out and exposing him to our client was eventually going to end his reign. And it would of if I had the chance to continue my fight, but it is really a good thing that I am no longer there and dealing with the daily BS that I had to endure. I do not have any problem with doing any type of work as long as it is helping me make ends meet. I am currently trying to build a small computer business in the residential arena, there seems to be a huge need for my services and there is some good money to be made as well as significant job satisfaction when you see the people's faces when you have fixed their computer problem that has been frustrating them for a long time. Also have another gig that will be coming alive hopefully next week sometime and if it goes as planned it could be somewhat lucrative and still allow me to fish :biggrin: We will see and this thread really has bolstered my confidence immensely, I thank you all once again for the support and encouragement it is something I can never repay but if I get the chance i will.

Mike Mayo