More Moratorium Work Needed [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: More Moratorium Work Needed

Ken Hunter
09-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Last night this issue made the evening news on King 5 TV. Dennis Bounds lead-in was "Good News For Fisherman". He and the rest of the people were oh so happy that fisherman will still be able to kill wild steelhead.

Unless the main stream news gets on board, it will be an uphill battle. I haven't heard any of the local polititcians talk much about this either.

Ken

NrthFrk16
09-04-2004, 01:00 AM
Last Saturday evening, KOMO TV covered it as well. Molly Shen's lead in was "Fishermen may once again be able to fish for wild steelhead."

What disgusting twist of the truth.

KerryS
09-04-2004, 12:49 PM
This is the way fishing is viewed by most. Take a look at the one fishing event that gets the most converage by the Seattle media, the Lake Washington sockeye. It is reported on from the point of view that fits most of the population of this state. For the average guy on the street that only fishes a few times a year or not at all, fishing is about putting something on the table. This does not surprise me a bit. I think for each one of us in the beginning fishing meant the exact same thing. Those of us that have taken angling to the level where we are now more concerned about the fish then whether we get to take one home to eat or not are truly the minority. I include in this group those that wish to take a fish home from time to time but also are concerned about the state of our fisheries such as some of those that opposed the moratorium. Even though some of us think that all of those who wish to kill a wild steelhead are only thinking about themselves and not the fish there are those that oppose the moratoriium who work very hard to protect and maintain our fish. Still all of us combined are a very small percentage of the population.

roballen2
09-04-2004, 01:05 PM
We need a regulation stating that once you retain your wild steelhead for the year you MUST use single barbless artificals! That would be consistent regulating.. if you are required to release a wild fish you should be using selective gear rules!

Moonlight
09-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Very good Rob the argument is so logical it might not even get argued.

flytyer
09-04-2004, 09:14 PM
KerryS,

Very well said!

Roballen2,

That is why I'm writing to the WDFW commission and urging them to adopt the selctive gear rules regulation for March/April on the OP rivers (proposal #16 for those who may wish to write in support of its adoption) eventhough the moratorium was rescinded and replaced with the single wild steelhead/year regulation.

Ken Hunter
09-05-2004, 11:52 AM
I like the selective fishery rule idea. In fact I would like to see more of it in other rivers. Just think how many smolt die each June and July because of bait fishing.

Ken