fishing with a float tube [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: fishing with a float tube

harleyd
08-31-2004, 10:27 PM
ok..got a good one for you all. I frequently wear my neoprene chest waders in my float tube. Problem......my butt keeps on slipping; I have to continuously 'hike' myself back up. I have a U shaped tube. Anyone got any good ideas? I only weigh 150 lbs

uzibear
09-16-2004, 05:25 AM
wow, tons of looks and no replies. so i'll offer some sage advice: duct tape your ass to your tube! just don't flip!

old man
09-16-2004, 11:10 AM
I don't use a float tube but I have a stupid idea that might work. Tape/glue a thin strip/pad of foam to the seat that you sit in/on. It should help with the sliding.

On waders you will probably get lots of answers on what to buy. I prefer the cheaper the better one's and in a breathable kind with a stocking foot. I don't like the boot foot as the boot part is always to big for fins when in a float tube. So I use Hodgmans breathable stocking foot waders. Under $100.00

Just my nickel.

Jim

FrenchCreek
09-16-2004, 05:31 PM
Try taping(duct tape) a piece of foam "carpet underlay" to your current seat material, usually available at your local carpet installer shop.

JDJones
09-16-2004, 07:31 PM
I've spent a lot of time in float tubes. And I can testify that you are not alone in the slipping down, hiking yourself back up scenario. I think it's just the nature of the beast. Try changing the amount of air in the back rest bladders and see if that helps.
I've had both neoprene and breathable waders so I can tell you, it aint the waders.
What I have done to my tube, although for different reasons, is add a 2 inch thick piece of closed cell foam to the seat. I cut it in a D shape and sized it so that it fits tight. So tight that it keeps the sides of the tube from coming in and the seat from sagging. (Cinch up the strap between your legs and the cross bar)
If you have one of the tubes that has no cross bar nor strap, I feel for you. I tried several of those when they first came out. I always felt like I was going to slide right out of the darn thing. :whoa: