Dee Strip Speys [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Dee Strip Speys

steelmaniac
08-27-2004, 08:39 AM
I was going to post a few pictures of some new flies that I have started to tie, but I don't know how to shrink the file down so that it will fit. the pictures look good except for this hangup. Also does anyone else fish dee style flies or are they impractical?

Charlie
08-27-2004, 09:56 AM
steelmaniac,

They work well for Atlantic salmon and Steelhead. Open them with MS photo Editor, Photo Shop or whatever you have to edit Photos and find the resize option. It is usually under the Image menu. Keep shrinking it down until the Attachment manager takes it.

The one below is a Rally tied by Mark Leblanc. I need to take some pictures of mine so I can post them later. Looking forward to seeing yours.

Charlie

steelmaniac
08-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try. The flies look good but I don't hear much about them. Also what do you like to use for winging. I am using brown turkey tail but that is running low and germany does not have very many wild turkey's.

The taking of pictures still takes a little practice though. Getting the lighting correct is hard as all get up.

Charlie
08-27-2004, 10:22 AM
Goose shoulder works good as well as Golden and Amherst pheasant tail. It really depends on the pattern you are tying. Any kind of long fiber wing or tail quill will work. Being in Germany you should see if you could find some Swan. Good luck with the tying.

Charlie.

steelmaniac
08-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Just a test pattern will follow

steelmaniac
08-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Pattern as follows:

Alec Jackson 1.5 Spey hook(gold)
Ribs: Wide gold tinsel(metal), medium oval silver in front and a fine oval silver counter rib.
Body: Green embroidery thread
Hackle: Imitation Blue Eared Substitute( a few people on here may know what that is)
Throat: Teal
Wing: Cinnamon brown turkey tail feathers
Head: Black

Looks very nice and I think the fish will agree. I have a few variations also. Tan body red rib and such. More pics soon. :lildevl:

steelmaniac
08-27-2004, 10:43 AM
this one has a mallard strip wing(very hard to make) Purple thread body, jungle Cock and an oval gold tinsel rib. The hackle is the same feather only true gray. This one should be clearer.

flytyer
08-27-2004, 01:59 PM
As Charlie already mentioned, any long fibered feather works for a dee wing. One of my favorites is Argus Pheasant wing or tail. Amhearst Pheasant (which is very easy to dye by the way) is also a favorite as is turkey tail of any type.

Dee flies are very effective for steelhead and I always carry them with me from December to April for winter/spring steelhead. Two of my favorites are the Akroyd (with Argus wing fibers for the wing) and the Avon Eagle. I like them ties on Alec Jackson Blind Eye Spey Hooks #1.5.