Wire [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wire

pcknshvl
08-26-2004, 07:12 PM
For leaders, etc.--what do you all recommend? I haven't had any need for wire here on Puget Sound....BTW, caught my first Silver on a Miyawaki Popper the other day....

Thanks!

Tom

juro
08-26-2004, 09:35 PM
American wire co., leader spools of wire you can tie. It's easy to find in fly shops on the east coast due to bluefish.

Capt. Art Sawayer showed me how to use a surgeons knot to attach it to mono, I was using an albright but the surgeon is a better choice.

On the fly end the improved figure 8 is the way to go.

My favorite is 17#

pcknshvl
08-26-2004, 10:39 PM
I dug out a spool of American Fishing Wire's Surflon Micro Ultra wire, which I bought for a Baja trip (and never needed). It's 11#, but sounds like I should get something a little heavier.

Juro, thanks for all your help and input. I appreciate your patience with my questions. If you could PM me with your guide rates and schedule, maybe we can hook up!

And thanks to all the others (Big Dave, Dbl Haul, among many) who've also helped out.

From the reports I've read, and research I've done, well, as you might imagine, I'm as excited as a little kid the night before Christmas. Except Christmas is coming in September! Good thing we're visiting non-fishing friends, so my wife will have someone to talk to!

Tom

Lefty
08-27-2004, 08:12 AM
I use 30# Flouro tippets instead of wire. So far no break offs 2 seasons.

GregD
08-27-2004, 09:53 AM
I use 30# Flouro tippets instead of wire. So far no break offs 2 seasons.

Just remember to check the line after each fish, if it's all chafed or chewed up retie and you should be good to go.

Greg.

Lefty
08-27-2004, 10:00 AM
Good point Greg. Absolutely correct. After 2 or 3 blues a re-tie of the fly is essential.