Blue Bird Skies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Blue Bird Skies

Lefty
08-26-2004, 02:46 PM
Can you believe the skies this week? Why couldn't this be the week for my vacation :cool: . It's soooo nice out.
Anyway, enough is enough. I just talk to my friend Dale and am meeting him at the dock at 5:00pm. Scooting out early today to catch the bite. And who says it's too soon after a clave to go out? Look for my report on PI Sound tomorrow.

Lefty

Nick
08-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Lefty,
Tell me about it!!! I'm going on my third week of sitting on the couch in my living room VPN'ing to work with my broken ankle elevated. Finally got all the commitments for the summer done and now I went ahead and tried to run in the rain in flip flops. Now I'm 6 screws and one plate richer. Hopefully I'll be able to salvage a day or two in late september or early october back on the water. Staring out this bay window has been absolutely brutel.

GO GET'M OUT THERE! ENJOY THE WEATHER FOR ME!

Nick

Lefty
08-27-2004, 09:05 AM
Nick,
Wow what a bad break :chuckle: Jeez, Magnolia won't be the same without you pounding it this fall. Heal up quick and see you out there. Remember my last fish was Oct. 28 last year down in Nahant.

Last night was dead. Not yet is all I can say. Got a hickory shad though up the Parker R.

Lefty.

Nick
08-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Got my Fibula nice and clean. I think I should be able to snag a few days, but I'm not opposed to following them south into October! Thanks for the morale lift!

Nick

GregD
08-27-2004, 10:50 AM
Nick -

Hope you get well soon... Hopefully you will be able to get around well enough to fish out of a boat at least for the fall migration. Might be to much to be yakkin it for awhile. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Greg.

Nick
08-27-2004, 02:22 PM
Yeah, the yak may be a little much, but a boat should be doable. Have to be a boat mooch for a few!

Thanks Greg.

Nick

Dble Haul
08-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Nick, I was unaware of your injury.

Get well soon.

juro
08-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Ouch! Nick I hope you heal up quickly... catching the fall run should give you some incentive to grow some bone ;)

Seriously, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Nick
08-27-2004, 10:06 PM
Believe me...Tums and Calcium chews daily! Thanks guys for the wishes!

Nick

artb
08-28-2004, 06:25 AM
Nick, Sorry to hear about yor missfortune. I know that feeling. Finally I am getting to use crutches, with a redi-rod from my knee to my ankle and 3 cross pins to hold everthing together I get that feeling. My doc says about a year, I don't think so. I hope to chase albies in late Sep. or October. I know a place where they come right into the shore. I have a couple of good fly patterns I should be tying. One has caught about every saltwater fish in the area. Got to dig out the tying material. Nick, speedy recovery!

Nick
08-28-2004, 08:50 AM
Art, Glad to hear your coming along! The crutches are some PITA! We should start a broken leg fishing club that has exclusive access to close water.

Thanks for the wishes, and right back at ya!

Nick

kush
08-28-2004, 01:59 PM
I can relate! Coming out of our trailer while on a trout fishing trip in the Cariboo region of B.C. I misjudged the step and badly sprained my right ankle, then stepped down right onto Tyler's shoe and broke my left in three places. :( Two hospitals later (we were out in the boonies) I am now the proud owner of a five inch plate with seven screws and two pins. Because I only had half a leg to work with, its been wheelchair and walker for 3 weeks, graduating to crutches and after that.

Going anywhere out of the house requires an extra 10 min prep time and a chauffer as our SUV is a standard and my clutch foot isn't up to it yet. Thank God for patient spouses! I also am becoming more intimately acquainted with the living room couch, have read 5 novels, now read the newspaper cover to cover, and know the birds in the tree outside by name. The Olympics has been a godsend as the rest of TV grows old really quick.

Hopefully Tyler (my ever patient husband) will be back on the water by September, he's only managed two fishing days since this happened. Thanks Kush.

Nick and Art, I wish you both good healing and maybe we can compare notes and scars next July when we hit the Cape for a couple of weeks.

Cheers SANDI

striblue
08-28-2004, 04:38 PM
Nick... I just checked this post and wish you a speedy recovery... I did not look at it originally since it was from Terry :wink: ....and I am on vacation this week. Terry... would love to meet up with you in September on the north shore... and the antique rod you donated to CAC is looking goood on the wall...you need to come down and check it out this fall.... stay at CAC.

Nick
08-28-2004, 06:08 PM
When I get better we should all do a classic North Shoah Truck Toah!

fliboy
08-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Nick - wishing you a speedy recovery.

Penguin
08-28-2004, 07:32 PM
Holy Cow Bat Man!
...and here I thought this thread was about the good weather?!
The titanium in my shoulder seems pale by comparison!

I've got a boat...
Not exactly handicapped accessable (I'm slightly challenged and it works for me :hihi:)
Nor is is OSHA approved...
...but, if the planets allign and with a little luck, it'll get you into some fish!

Nick/Art Best wishes for a speedy mend...
Consider a trip to the PharSide...Let's go phishing!

Nick
08-31-2004, 09:36 AM
Doctors yesterday..i got upgraded to a walking cast. Still on crutches, but they should be gone in a week. Starting to look a little better!

doogue
08-31-2004, 06:51 PM
Damn fellas.

All of these stories of plates and screws are making me wince.

I hope that all of you have the good fortune of a speedy recovery. I had a cast on for 12 weeks once and the 1st 4 weeks were waaaaayyy worse than the last 8 weeks. It gets better.

So keep on keeping on and listen to your doctors. There will be many more fishing seasons so don't go out and slip while chasing albies on some forsaken jetty.

Get well soon.

-Mike

Nick
09-01-2004, 08:06 AM
Doogue,
Thanks. You should see the pic I took of the xray...Frankenstein!
Nick