Spey Fly Box [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spey Fly Box

steelmaniac
08-26-2004, 09:41 AM
I was wondering what you guys stored your spey flies in and still protecting the nice long flowing hackles and what not?

Thanks

juro
08-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Wheatley leaf / clip boxes.

sean
08-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Some people will disagree but I am with Juro. Nothing better than the following two swing leaf boxes for speys:

1632/1.5
1642/1.5

I like the extra width these models provide and am partial to the 1632 as it has #7 and #5 clips so you can hold a wide range of sizes.

Still upset over the the 3 that were stolen...

-sean

loco_alto
08-26-2004, 12:18 PM
I prefer not to fuss with clips, plus clips catch coq.

I like hard foam, the giant SA box, 8 3/8 x 4.5 x 1 inches. With barbless flies the foam lasts for years and years. Barbed hooks shred the foam, especially 3/0 barbs.

I do have a Wheatley foam swingleaf that stores all my trout nymphs and wets - love it.

Things I look for in a fly box: capacity, lightweight, bright interior

steelmaniac
08-26-2004, 01:30 PM
wont those leaves catch all the hackles and bend or shred them up? Also what is the rough price range on them. Just starting but I don't want to pay too much?

sean
08-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Well the wheatleys are not the type of boxes you just throw your flies into. You have to make sure you are not catching the hackle in the clips when you put them in. Never had an issue of the leaves catching any hackle.

They are exspensive though compared(~$60) to foam boxes and they do not float.

IMHO if you tie your own though there is not a better home for them. Nothing like a classic wheatley and spey flies. Nothing prettier in fishing.

-sean