sili skin tinker mackeral [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: sili skin tinker mackeral

SteveF
08-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Just migrating the sand eel idea to another round bait, this time the tinker mackeral. Same basic construction as the sand eel just fatter. The material was a "blend" of unique hair and angel hair over large e-z body. Mirror flash was used to provide additional inner flash inside the e-z body. The blend was tied over the e-z body. Top of the fly was striped with a black marker, then sili skin the same length as the e-z body was wrapped over the blend, eyes added, and a coat of plasti dip applied to head and belly seam.

SteveF

Jim Miller
08-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Another Beauty!
Question for you: how long is the fly and what size hook is it tied on?
Thanks Steve!

SteveF
08-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Jim,

The fly is 5 inches. It's tied on a mustad C68S SS tarpon 2/0. The hook has been slightly modified(old habit) by opening it up slightly, then turning it down working higher on the bend and towards the eye. It results in a shorter hook with a deeper keel. Must be done with round nose pliers.

Steve

striblue
08-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Steve, I really like that one. I have a bunch of siliskin flats and have done some things but have not really expanded. A while back I experimented with various "Heads"... but I need to look into this more... anothewinter project.

SteveF
08-22-2004, 10:07 PM
John,

Make sure you've got multiple sizes of both e-z body and flexi-cord light. E-Z body for the rounder body types and the flexicord for rainfish/spearing body types. With your creativity, there should be some good stuff coming our way. I'll post one of the flexicord/siliskin flies later this week.

Steve

Slinger
08-27-2004, 12:31 AM
Steve, please explain how you eliminate the overlapping seam that I allways have to stop the skin from snapping back and leaving a gap. This stuff makes some super peanuts! E-Z body in differant colors is nice too, the silver makes great silversides, the chartreuse looks real sharp with a little green topping.
Slinger

SteveF
08-27-2004, 07:23 AM
Steve,

It's not the overlapping that caused the seam to open up, it's stretching the sili skin when applying. I don't overlap the seam simply because I apply the sili skin by draping it over the top of the pattern then pressing it together along the belly of the fly. It just never gets a chance to overlap. Then I trim away the excess with very sharp scissors cutting front to back, back to front, and peel it away with my fingers. If I cut too close or have stretched it while applying, the seam will open up(when it does I just coat it and fish it). I make sure I cut over the shank using enough pressure to slice the sili skin but not enough to dull the scissors against the shank. I then coat the seam with plasti dip or softex. It just took a closeup to try to show you the seam of this fly. Overlapping might actually leave less of a ridge but I just don't apply it that way.

You're right that is makes super spearing(anchovy too) and peanut flies. I'll be posting some I've made using flexi cord for a scaled belly effect this weekend.

SteveF

Gartooth
08-27-2004, 09:04 AM
Very nice.

I like the depth and volume of the belly.

Casey

Slinger
08-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Steve, thanks for explaining, that last pic looks great.
Slinger

striblue
08-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks Steve.... good advice on the internal stuff....I want to do a series of very delicate bait fish for Monomoy Island. Yesterday, I happened to spy a fly of George Ryan, a well known guide at Monomoy. I was standing next to his client when his client asked him if he wanted the fly he was using back,,, he held it out.. I immediatly scrutinized it as best I could...George told his client to keep it...I felt like saying to the guy..."you will not need that now that you are done here... can I look at it".... But I know George and did not want to do that but I saw enough to let me go to work... The fly was no more than 2 1/2 inches long...but it did have an olive back.... perfect for the use of sili skin.....