Hardy Perfect for Steelhead? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hardy Perfect for Steelhead?

go_fishing
08-22-2004, 02:13 AM
I recently purchased a Hardy Perfect 3 3/8 fly reel for $50. The person I got it from said that he bought it new sometime in the 1980's. It looks like he hardly ever used it, just one or two tiny scratches on it that are hardly noticeable. I put on some 20# backing and a Scientific Anglers 7 wt. Mastery steelhead taper fly line. I'm planning on using it for Summer Steelhead on the North Umpqua River this September. It will be on a Orvis Clearwater 10' 7wt. rod. Does this sound like a good setup? I will also be taking my old steelhead fly rod & reel which is an 8 wt. outfit.

MJC
08-22-2004, 02:25 AM
If you bought a Perfect for $50.00 you shoulda bought a Lotto ticket the same day. Your outfit seems alright to me.

North Island
08-22-2004, 11:10 AM
Sure,

It should work fine. In fact it sounds like a great set up.

Interceptor
08-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Yep you should have bought a lotto ticket after getting an old hardy perfect for $ 50. Good luck with it.

Int

go_fishing
08-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the replies,

Yeah, I guess I lucked out. I had no idea what it was worth, but I knew if it was a Hardy it had to be worth more than $50. As I was writing out the check another guy pulled in and came running up wanting to buy it. Afterwards I did some research and found out that the Hardy perfect was in production for almost 100 years when they quit making them in the late 1980's. I can't wait to hear it sing with a steelhead on the line.