Would like t start tying,,,,,Recomendations? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Would like t start tying,,,,,Recomendations?

Havok
08-21-2004, 01:04 AM
just as the title says I would like to start tying, any books I should get? advice?

Thanks

Neil.

Jim Miller
08-21-2004, 08:47 AM
Hi Neil
I would say start w/ the basic tools. Buy or borrow a basic vise, scissors, etc. Pick a couple patterns to try. Maybe a clouser, a deceiver.....Search the archives of this forum and others for "the step by step" instructions. Buy the materials needed for those patterns only. Try your hand and perfect the techniques for the "simple" patterns. Maybe even take a class or two. It should be fun and not frustrating.

If you end up liking this hobby.....then expand your horizons.
Buy better tools and more materials. Try new and different patterns & techniques

Have Fun & Good Luck! :)

Paxton
08-21-2004, 09:35 AM
Neil,
My recommendation would be to take lessons at a local fly tyers club. I did 2 years ago....they had loner equipment and materials and it was the best $40 I spent (borrow equipemnt to practice at home). Even tough the tying classes focused on trout flies.....the basic tying principals were the same. Once you know that you like doing it.....buy a good vise and other equipemnt...I started cheap and bought twice. Additionally, if you are married.....the most important thing to remember is to WIPE YOUR FEET AND BRUSH YOURSELF OFF before coming up from the basement :hihi:
Ron

Havok
08-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Neil,
Additionally, if you are married.....the most important thing to remember is to WIPE YOUR FEET AND BRUSH YOURSELF OFF before coming up from the basement :hihi:
Ron
LOL
Yea I'm married, I think it would be a good hobbie for the evenings.

Thanks for the advice. Can't wait to start tye'n :biggrin:

Penguin
08-24-2004, 08:01 PM
IMHO
I learn best by observing someone demo...(take a class, buy/borrow a video or two and remember to have fun)
Positive feed back goes a long way...
Keep things simple...
Learn some basic techniques and learn them well...
Become familiar with the materials and how they are used...
Improvise in the dead of a dark winter...
Avoid taking out a second mortgage!
It's cheaper, in the long run, to buy good equipment to start with than to buy junque that will quickly break or be cast aside..
Used good stuff is better than new cheapo junque!
Learn how to incorporate steps with good technique...
With the basics for a foundation, things will start to make better sense and soon you will be trashing the kitchen table and cluttering the carpet with stubborn clippings.
Don't be affraid to ask for professional help...psychiatric and otherwise...
Find a friend with a big dog with long hair...'makes descent streamers!
When spring arrives, complete the circle and catch some fish!
Knock yourself out!