Galvan OB vs. Galvan Torque [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Galvan OB vs. Galvan Torque

mtflycaster
08-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Just wondering if anyone has an objective view on the pluses and minuses of these two reels. I'm going to put it on a 5 wt. Sage XP and use it for freshwater trout fishing.

Much Thanks!

zugbugz
01-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Just wondering if anyone has an objective view on the pluses and minuses of these two reels. I'm going to put it on a 5 wt. Sage XP and use it for freshwater trout fishing.

Much Thanks!

MTFLYCASTER, both of these reels are very, very nice. I own the OB-5 and use it with a 6 wt line...I love it. The finish and quality are superb and the drag is SMOOTH and sensitive for the lightest of tippets. I've caught some hard-charging smallies with it and it works beautifully. I haven't caught any really big fish with it or used it in the salt, ...yet, but as smooth as it feels, I don't think it would ever be an issue. It's also a NO MAINTENANCE drag, though I always clean mine after every use. IMHO, it's a perfect reel for big trout.

Although I don't own the Torque, functionally, the two reels are quite similar. The OB has a silent retrieve and a quiet outgoing click. I think the Torque has a soft click on both the in and the out (not positive on this). The Torque is lighter by about 1/2 oz (but a little more expensive as well). The OB-5 balances perfectly on my 6 wt Loomis Streamlight rod (3.5 oz), so the OB-4 should be a perfect balance for your 5 wt Sage. Both reels are beautiful in appearance, but the Torque definitely has the cool factor :smokin: going for it! I'd say a matter of taste and budget as to which one you go for. Just a note, the Galvan standard has the same guts as the OB and the Rush the same as the Torque (but cheaper price, slightly more weight and less flash; black only).

Zugbugz - Arizona :smile: