Pea bunker on South Beach (outside) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Pea bunker on South Beach (outside)

juro
08-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Had a charter yesterday, good day on the water.

During low light (hvy clouds) and low tide we ventured onto the beach where we found a lareg shoal of pea bunker, first I have seen this year on the outside of South Beach. Blues and bass ripping into them as would be expected. Fun and a real sight for my clients one who hailed from my old home turf near Seattle.

At one point I thought I saw some greenbacks busting on them, I have seen both bonito and albies on some years thick in Pleasant Bay and they are always off South Monomoy and around the rips so it might have been.

Sight fishing on the inside was exceptional when light was available, but it was not very available. However several ESPN style sight-fishing shots arose and several fish were landed in those moments of victory and defeat.

The fish have turned the page from the invertebrate stage and are entering the fall mentality. What I wouldn't do to be on the flats right now with the sun beaming!

striblue
08-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Well... I have the week off next week so I am looking forward to these conditions...

Lefty
08-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the report. God I love Autumn.

CascoBay
08-18-2004, 09:19 PM
No wonder I love going to the Cape for my week vacation in September. :lildevl: Juro, that's great news. I have been studying "Alan's bible" and I am really anxious to put some newly found tactics to work. BTW- just got my new reel and line so I am geared up and ready to go. :hihi: