New Selective Fishery Waters for Steelhead [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New Selective Fishery Waters for Steelhead

NrthFrk16
08-17-2004, 08:56 PM
I just recieved my 'minor cycle' rule proposal packet from the WDFW.

In it, they are proposing (if the Moratorium sticks), selective fishery regulations in March and April on all the rivers that are effected by the Moratorium.

The Sol Duc and Quillayute would be exempt from this proposal however as they have targeted salmon fisheries during this time frame. However, the Hoh, Bogey, Calawah, Clearwater, Dickey, Hoho and Upper Quianualt would all be under Selective Fishery Regs come March 1.

Their reasoning behind this proposal was so that now these river systems would reflect the Department's "management approach for wild steelhead catch and release fisheries."

flytyer
08-17-2004, 11:56 PM
I saw this too and will be sending an email in support of it before this week is over. In fact, I'm going to suggest it be put into place even if the moratorium is abandoned in the meeting later this month. I was happy to see it as a proposed rule change for this "monor cycle".

Nailknot
08-19-2004, 04:37 AM
Noticed the addition of char to "Sparkey's rule" as well. Fair enough. I'd think new C&R/selective rules would benefit the char much more, but I'll take what we get. I'll be sure to tell the char poachers I see on a regular basis about the rule, but they don't seem to have a handle on the 6 year old rule about 20" size limit yet... seems like hardware would be easier to enforce than these types of regs.