Seduced by the "DARK Side" [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Seduced by the "DARK Side"

bigboatdog
08-15-2004, 09:30 AM
It happened slowly in an unsuspected way. The guide used sandeels. The the harbor filled with bait that could not be netted. The unused sabiki rig lay unused for three years. Kids in the boat so no flyfishing. Then I went out and neglected the fly rod and other artificials. Tinker Mackeral, the Dark Side had taken over.
I will struggle back. :rolleyes:
HELP ME OBI WAN!!!

juro
08-15-2004, 09:31 AM
:chuckle: :hihi:

As long as the kids had a good time it was a good dance with the devil ;) ;)

juro
08-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Tie two merkins and call me in the morning :lildevl: :wink:

Roop
08-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Balance is the key grasshopper.

Understanding and mastering one style can only make another stronger.

Adrian
08-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Balance is the key grasshopper.

Understanding and mastering one style can only make another stronger.

So true!

I recently picked up a copy of Robert Post's book "Reading the Water" which tells of the exploits of the legendary Marthas Vineyard anglers. It's a brilliant read.

Roberto Germani describes a "heave and haul" outfit he used in the surf complete with stripping basket, flyline "head" and a waist mounted reel to hold the excess mono. I have all the components and intend to fish the surf this way a few times.

Sinlge handed, double handed - who needs a rod? :lildevl:

JimW
08-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Adrian, That is a great read, I have not picked it up in a few years but there are many jewels in that book. Maybe a MV tournament clave one of these years. :Eyecrazy:

Adrian
08-17-2004, 03:42 PM
We would probably need to sign up for Navy Seal training to get into condition for the MV tourney. Total sleep deprivation, no food or water for a whole week and fish 'till your fingers bleed :Eyecrazy:

Sounds good to me :D

San Diego is a cool town - or maybe Penguin could set us up a little closer to home? :smokin:

jfbasser
08-17-2004, 06:30 PM
I fished often with my grandfather who used tarred handline. I still bring some out now and again to make a few "casts". He very often outfished my spinning rod.

juro
08-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Balance = single hand | double hand. One makes the other stronger. :cool:

Smcdermott
08-17-2004, 10:35 PM
My philosophy is really starting to come around on this one. Golfers cary a number of clubs in their bag for a reason.

Fish in tight to the shore/most flats fishing = single hand fly rod

Fish busting a 150ft out or large flies in the wind = two hander

Bonito busting 150 yds off the shore :Eyecrazy: (like this past saturday) = 2 ounces of metal and a fish for the bbq.

Why limit yourself. Every great athlete/team can beat you in a number of ways.

Now Juro, I think I know your point on this one and I agree that challenging yourself to achieve the result with a tougher tool is more rewarding but sometimes you just want to catch a fish. Especially after you just dropped an expensive fly reel down a crevice and it becomes apparent you are not going to ever see it again (also this past Saturday :( ).

Sean

juro
08-17-2004, 11:39 PM
Fishing is enjoyment - do whatever you enjoy! I was only trying to make a joke about the initial post on this here flie-fushin' sight. Please let's not go down the "defend your gear fishing" rathole again. I have no interest in changing anyones fishing preferences; I also have no interest in diluting the fly fishing content of this site.

However, for myself (and only myself) I hold strong convictions about my sport. As you know flyfishing to me is a pursuit, not of fish per se but of mastery of something that is not necessarily measured in pounds or inches but measured in wisdom, acumen, ability. Eventually, the fish are part of the equation again, and provide acknowledgement that the time invested is indeed well-spent. I get immense satisfaction from this pursuit, and frankly little from a fish caught by other means.

I am like anyone, if I want to eat and catching is the way to get some meat pass the chum bucket.

But as I have said many times, I fish for satisfaction not fish. The fish just help me go there.

FishHawk
08-18-2004, 04:29 AM
I am in total agreement with Juro . That's why I like this site.
FishHawk :D

bigboatdog
08-18-2004, 05:49 AM
If the master resorts to chum then I am not as far gone as I thought!

Part of the reason for the bait was my futile attemps at catching blues on the fly rod. I hooked into several reel burners but was unable to bring them to the boat.
Frustration is being in the middle of a bluefish blitz and catching stripers while nephew catches Blues.
I will continue the hunt!
BBD

Smcdermott
08-18-2004, 07:36 AM
Sorry Juro. Not trying to go down that road or change the content of the site. Just agreeing with a few others that its good to change it up every now and then. If anything I was more venting about my lost reel which was part of the reason for picking up the evil wand to begin with!! Looking forward to this weekend.

Sean

juro
08-18-2004, 07:53 AM
Sean,

Didn't mean to imply that you were going down the road at all, just making a general statement that we (not you but we all) tend to beat that horse historically.

Was it possible to see the reel? I hope it was not "that" reel that I was lusting over the last time I saw it, engraved etc.

I think fiber optics is called for to see into the crevice.

A cheap solution would be a wireless webcam on a flexible probe at low tide.

Smcdermott
08-18-2004, 08:21 AM
No problem. Just didn't want to get blamed for inciting a riot :lildevl: .

As for the reel, thank god it was not "that one." If that was the case I would still be there looking for it. Unfortunately at the bottom of the crevice was some water and another crevice and so on. I was able to crawl down under one set of rocks, much to the dismay of an older Portugese man who was afraid of the ocean, and look for it. I even had Patrice bring me what the home depot guy called "a third arm", a mechanical claw like device. After digging around face first in the rocks with a slight bit of tide moving in and out I had to call it a day. It was a Bauer M4 reel that i got off ebay so it won't really break the bank but it was the reel I caught my first fly rod striper on and so fourth. It also had my favorite sinking line on it so that will need to get replaced. Oh, well. I think an Old Florida was calling my name anyway.

Sean

Roop
08-18-2004, 08:31 AM
[QUOTE=Adrian]We would probably need to sign up for Navy Seal training to get into condition for the MV tourney. Total sleep deprivation, no food or water for a whole week and fish 'till your fingers bleed :Eyecrazy:

Sounds good to me :D [QUOTE]

That's what Red Bull & Amp are for!

If you're refering to the One Fly, I fished that for several years and really enjoyed it. A few of us would always get over a day or two ahead of time and start scouting and by the night of the tourney have a good idea where we wanted to be at what time.

Of course we never came close to winning any of the categories... :redface:

Some people complain that the spirit of the tournament, matching up locals with non-locals is gone but, having never experienced that I can't comment.

Definitely something to try once in your life.

Now, I respectfully submit a request for a new forum:

WIRE LINE/ TUBE & WORM!! :p :wink:

Smcdermott
08-18-2004, 08:41 AM
I have 3 vacation days left to burn that I have specifically allocated to fishing. One option I have been tossing around is spending those along with a weekend doing the tourney thing. I know 5 days doesn't even come close to the whole experience but thats all I can handle this time around. Anyone else interested let me know. Not sure what a place to catch a shower that time of year will cost.

Sean

JimW
08-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Sean, I pm'd you about the reel.

Slinger
08-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Sean, I`m on vacation all week of Columbus day. You`ve got me interested.
Slinger

FredA
08-18-2004, 11:20 AM
Did I ever tell you about chumming for Cape kettle pond trout with corn. ;)

jfbasser
08-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Slinger, Sean

I up for a few days on the Vineyard

bigboatdog
08-18-2004, 08:37 PM
The Darkside Forum- For those who use "other methods"and feel guilty about it. :chuckle:
BBD