sili skin sand eel prototype [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: sili skin sand eel prototype

SteveF
08-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Trying sili skin with sand eel patterns. Here's one hot off the vise with the material tied over some E-Z body then sili skin wrapped over the material. Enjoy.

SteveF

flyfishjeff
08-14-2004, 08:13 PM
Nice,realistic, foulproof design....what is the material for the tail?

saltydog
08-15-2004, 08:27 AM
STEVEF, great looking,
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN :smokin:

SteveF
08-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Jeff,

The material is fishair. Unique hair and super hair work as well. Bucktail can be used and needs to be inside the e-z body as opposed to being tied over it.

One plus of using the e-z body with material tied over it is it opens the tie to easily incorporating a rattle, foam flotation, or weight inside.

SteveF

juro
08-15-2004, 01:57 PM
I give this one a 10 for the flats in subtle colors... or combined with your previous design, which I also really liked.

striblue
08-15-2004, 02:46 PM
Steve, TOO Much!... thanks for posting... That is one realistic fly!

Jim Miller
08-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Steve
Great Fly. I like the look and most of all....it's simplicity!
Thanks for sharing :)

SteveF
08-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Juro, John, and Jim

Thanks again for the warm welcome. Glad you're enjoying the ties.

SteveF

flyfisha1
08-16-2004, 07:19 AM
Wow - The overall shape and coloration is... very realistic (not to sound like a broken record). So many ties, so little time to tie them...

Moron_Saxatilis
08-17-2004, 10:30 PM
How do you apply siliskin on the ez-body?
Thanks,
Brian

SteveF
08-18-2004, 05:58 AM
Brian,

The sili skin is applied over the material , not the e-z body for the fly in the photo. It's applied by first preparing a rectangle of sili skin as long as the e-z body and wide enough to completely surround the e-z bocy when drapped over it from the top. If you have not worked with sili skin before, use a small piece of twist tie to hold the material in place. Then, anchor the sili skin, centered on the top of the pattern immediately behind the hook eye with a light touch. You may have to switch hands to get the right angle, but hold the material straight back with one hand and with the other let the sili skin drap over the top of the pattern. Aviod stretching the sili skin as it has a tendency to return to its original shape so if you stretch while applying you may end up with a contorted fly. Fold it over so it meets underneath and sticks together, then trim with sharp scissors. If you have not worked with sili skin before, here's a quote from one of my first posts.

"Roughly a year ago, Sili Skin hit the fly shops thanks to Blane Chocklett and Harrison Steeves. I think the idea was to use it to craft a fly version of the deadly sluggo. I had my first "bout" with sili skin this winter during and in between fly fishing shows. I say "bout" because the first couple of times I used it, it stuck to everything but the fly. I had to just get up a walk away from it until persistence finally paid off."

So, be prepared for the initial frustration and be prepared to get up and walk away from it the first few times. Once you get the nack, you'll be crafting amazing looking pattens in record time. Another caution -- sili skin is expensive so unless you can afford an endless supply, keep your patterns small.

Good Luck!
SteveF

PS - I'll be posting step by step instructions with photos for this pattern on www.aswf.org within the next month. I'll let you know here when it's up.

Penguin
08-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Because of reasons previously visited, SiliSkin is not usually my friend...
More often than not, the adversarial nature of the material drives me back to epoxy...my gooood friend.

With Steve's original in mind, I took some DNA and gave it a whirl...

SteveF
08-24-2004, 09:27 PM
Pete,

You may want to try that idea on a long shank bendback. Feel free to give me a call or use email on the sili skin technique. I picked up a few things from the school of hard knocks like using twist ties that may help you out.

Steve

SteveF
08-30-2004, 06:24 PM
The step by step photos and instructions for the sili skin sand eel are up. I've been experimenting with more photos and less words in describing how a fly is tied.

http://www.aswf.org/saltwater_flies_for_web/steve_farrar/siliskinsandeel/sili_skin_sand_eel.html

The Atlantic Saltwater Flyrodders is a non political/non competitive teaching club. Enjoy the step by step and good luck with the fly.

SteveF