Cortland 555 floating ghost tip surprise - Please Help [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cortland 555 floating ghost tip surprise - Please Help

Casper
08-13-2004, 08:52 PM
:confused:

Having heard good reviews about this line, I bought it on ebay. I tried it out yesterday for the first time and it scares me.

First of all, it had a memory from hell. How exactly should I stretch this particular line and how often do I have to do it?

Secondly, the line feels "hard" between the fingers compared to other floating lines. Is this normal?

To sum it up,
It's like fishing with a coily floating nylon guitar string - and it's not that green either. Makes me wonder...is this perhaps the answer to the previous questions. Could this line be old and sun-damaged?

Thanks

brooklynangler
08-13-2004, 10:18 PM
I have a hard time understanding the 555 other than the "Little Tunny" line, which is excellent.

The floater is quite simply the worst line I've ever used on any rod, bar none. I had the "golden" 5 wt, and the "clear" 5 weight and I just don't get it! Just the worst stiffness and memory of ANY line, let alone a trout line. No redeeming values at all.

Anyone with industry inside info have the real skinny on how a LINE company who is supposed to test their lines could produce such a dog...and still be selling it.

I am embarassed FOR Cortland. Their 444 is, on the other hand, my favorite trout line.

Joe

Slinger
08-14-2004, 01:44 AM
We`ve been complaining about the 555 for a couple of years now and Cortland just keeps turning them out. They don`t even have the common sense to stop making them and admit it was a failure.
Slinger

old man
08-14-2004, 11:04 AM
If you read the fine print that comes with the package,it states that you have to stretch the line every so often. I bought it when it first came out and since then I have gone back to my 444 which is in my opinion a better line hands down than the 555. It floats nice but the coiling of the line throws it all off.

I used to stretch it before each use but got tired of it especially in cold weather.

Jim

Casper
08-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Well, that's surprising. Thanks for your input. Anyone out there that uses it and likes it???

jfbasser
08-18-2004, 07:26 PM
I have heard rumors that the 666 is on the way to save face :mad:

flyfisha1
08-18-2004, 09:55 PM
I have heard rumors that the 666 is on the way to save face :mad:

Religious fisherman everywhere will shun this line! :tongue:

What a bummer about the 555. I, too, like the 444 lines. I don't think I've ever used anything so supple yet that casts well.

FredA
08-19-2004, 07:56 AM
On the positive side, I've got a 555 QD 350 grn that I think I like. The running line is less snarly than the 444QD.