Hows The Carp [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hows The Carp

Greenhorn
08-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Read an interesting article in (fly fishing america) magazine about carp fishing.The writer who is also a fishermen cliamed to have had theese fish fight like a salmon. :rolleyes: It seemed a litle far fetched to me so i thought it would be a good idea to check around. Let me know if this carp thing has any truth or if its all :chuckle:

flytyer
08-12-2004, 01:38 AM
When I lived in Pennsylvania and Montana (the Missouri has huge Buffalo Carp in it), I caught quite a few carp some that went 20lbs. None of them ever fought like a steelhead, coho, chinook, or chum. I'd venture to say that the author of the article you read was let us say engaging in artistic license.

kush
08-12-2004, 05:15 AM
I don't know if they "fight like a salmon" but they do pull like hell and can remove line from a reel in a hurry! While I haven't targeted carp with a fly nor even caught one with gear for a great many years I will say that the only time I have been totally spooled by a fish was by a 15lb carp... :eek:

Philster
08-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Never been spooled by fish, not even a tropical hottie, but I have to say that under the right conditions carp can be better compared to bonefish than steelhead. Those conditions include water depth, temperature, season (pre-spawn carp are psychotic in my experience).

Used to target them in central california. To anyone in the San Francisco Bay region, try woodward reservoir, especially at high water. Acres of "flats" in the spring

Dble Haul
08-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Like others have said, carp have tremendous strength.

But they don't have the acceleration or leaping ability of salmon.

They are worthy adversaries.

striblue
08-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Yes... that a subject that I have agonized over for years...But I have to go back to work now. :wink:

Shaq
08-13-2004, 10:34 AM
I would consider carp more like redfish, similar flies, similar water, similar fight, and they look alike too. They are a great warm-up for people heading to the saltwater flats and practice

Charlie
08-13-2004, 11:21 AM
I would have to agree with most of these guys. Carp are strong fish, can get big and can be a lot of fun to catch. But fighting like a Salmon? :confused: No! They are very different fish and they fight differently.

Charlie