Boneclave Boating List [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Boneclave Boating List

Smcdermott
08-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Below is a list of the information I have so far.

Owners please provide any updates you have regarding arrival and departure times as well as any capacity conflicts.

Passengers Since we have already started the riders list on a request basis, I will continue with that system and update the list on a first come first serve basis. Please be respectful of those who have not seen the thread yet and leave some spots open for others.

All Please only use this thread for future updates so I can track what has been worked out.

It looks like we have a good number of boat spots available this year. The only areas of difficulty I see is maybe getting Mike Z out with his two sons. If there is a boat owner who can take all three one day please let me know.

Friday
JimW Arrive 6:30 a.m. and take fliboy (Pick up Ridh D and Juro ~6 p.m.)
Esteys arrive in afternoon and take Dave17. 1 spot possible
Neac arrive early morning and take Sean
Slinger arrive early and take Flyfish Jeff and Cascobay
Schotty arrive early and take SSully, FredA and Skiman
GregD questionable due to motor problems
Lefty early arrival solo
GregO unknown arrival and capacity
Doc Duprey unknown arrival taking Fishawk and grizz0707
Quentin coming over solo

Saturday
JimW All Full (Chuck R, Rich D)
Esteys with Juro
NEAC 1 spot
Schotty SSully with 1-2 spots
Greg D questionable due to motor issues
Lefty 1 spot
Greg O ?
Silverdoc 2 spots
Slinger 2 spots
Tom D arriving early taking Porkslice and Sean.

Sunday
Esteys 2 spots
NEAC taking Sean Leaving that evening
Schotty 3 spots
Greg D questionable due to motor problems
Lefty 1 spot
Greg O ?
Silverdoc 2 spots
Slinger 2 spots leaving that evening
Tom D 2 spots
jfbasser 2 spots in morning possibly/leaving after brunch

Monday
Esteys 2 spots
Schotty 3 spots
Greg D questionable due to motor problems
Lefty 1 spot
Greg O ?
Silverdoc 2 spots
TomD 2 spots leaving 11:00 a.m.

That's what I have. I am sure I got something wrong so let me know. Again, please only use this thread for questions or updates. I will try to update it as often as possible.

Sean

flyfishjeff
08-11-2004, 09:07 PM
I'm not sure how the signup works. Cascobay (Aaron) and I hope to arrive early on Friday morning and we both need a shuttle to the island. We are both fine to fish from shore if there aren't any boats available to fish from.

Also we plan on leaving sometime in the afternoon or evening on Sunday so I guess we would need a ferry back.

Is there a jetty that fishes well that we can get dropped off at also??? What is the shore fishing like near the campsite?

Thanks,
Jeff

Smcdermott
08-11-2004, 09:17 PM
Jeff,

I will put you (and casco) first in line for early departure Friday morning once I get the times from the boat owners. We will make sure to shuttle as neccessary to the jetty as the the fishing from camp is pretty non-existent at least for speedsters. You can walk to the jetty but it is a bit of a hike.

Sean

Dave17
08-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Sean,

Thanks for organizing all of this. I can make it down just about anytime on Friday (lot of flexibility with my job). I need to catch a ride across with somebody, but feel free to fill anybody's specific needs first. I'll take last available if that works, just let me know what time to be there. I'll see you with the speedsters :smokin: .

Dave

Slinger
08-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Sean, appealed the decision to the top dog and i have Fri. off, so move me to an early Fri. departure. That`s you, me and Gerry in 2 boats so we can take a couple more over.
Slinger

FredA
08-12-2004, 05:10 AM
Sean, I plan to arrive early Friday (5 -7 am), lookin for a shuttle to the island and somebody to fish with.

juro
08-12-2004, 05:13 AM
Please bring a couple extra flies along... drop one in the fly boxes for each volunteer, Sean and Lefty for starters.

FishHawk
08-12-2004, 06:32 AM
On Fri. I'll take the early shuttle with Jim W to the island and set up and wait for Doc. Will confirm it with him but for now that's how it stands. Sat. would like to be a passinger on a boat with someone. How does that work ? Will you assign us to a boat ? FishHawk

Smcdermott
08-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Fishawk,
I didn't realize I had you on JimWs boat that was a mistake. I believe he already had chuck on board Friday and not sure he can take an extra. Please let me know if you can ride out with Doc and if not we can work something out I am sure.

I was going to let people request for all days but that might get a little difficult. I think that is a good idea. I will assign boats for Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Sean

GregD
08-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Boat has worked well up till a couple of weekends ago when I went out to chase some Bonito in RI. As luck would have it my trim motor seized requiring me to pull the outboard to replace it. My control handle cracked damaging the trim switch too. I may have some trouble with the parts on that too. I hope to have it repaired in time for the Boneclave, But you never know. I was told they can't promise I'll have the trim motor in time for the weekend. So Friday/saturday I may still be working on it :( .

I can do some ferrying, and possibly take some guys out to the beaches of nantucket for the day if the weather is good. We will have to see how it goes.

I'll update the thread with my boat repair progress, wish I had better news.

Thanks,
Greg.

JimW
08-12-2004, 10:30 AM
FishHawk - I will be loaded up with 3 people and gear so I don't think I can take a 4th with gear. I will make a second run if required though. I'll leave it to Sean.

I'm also not sure if we can set up before check in time. In the past we've dropped the gear on the beach and gone right out to fish, then come back in ~ 1ish to set up.

Sean - Nice job with the schedule, thanks a bunch for your organizational efforts.

Skiman
08-12-2004, 11:42 AM
I'll be arriving friday am ~ 6:00am and need a ride out to the Island. As stated before I am happy to fish from the beach but would like to have a little boat time if possible. I am planning on staying through dinner Sunday.

Skiman aka Pete

CascoBay
08-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Sean,
Once we are assigned to a boat, should we PM them to coordinate a meeting time and place. Jeff and myself are travelling from Maine so it requires a bit of planning on arrival times for us.

Great job on the planning, I am looking forward to it! :smokin:

Smcdermott
08-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Casco,

That works for me. I would suggest that you wait maybe a few days until we get it all worked out in case we need to switch things around.

Sean

ssully
08-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Sean,

Thanks for taking the time for this. I wouldn't get too hung up on scheduling boating assignments other than gettting people to and from the campsite. Usually the fishing just works itself out. My .02

Jim W. is right on the money about setting up. You drop the gear and go cuz you don't actually have a right to be on the site until 10 or 11 am.

shadfreak
08-13-2004, 06:54 AM
Sean
Thanks for doing the boat/passanger list. I plan on arriving on the Cape very early Fri am and can be ready for any ride available.
Thanks again Larry

striblue
08-13-2004, 06:55 AM
Sean...good Job on putting this together... I will check with pete (penguin), But he and I are scheduled for Saturday and dinner on Saturday night ...he will have his boat.

FishHawk
08-13-2004, 07:05 AM
Sean Doc. will take me to the island or we might fish and then I could get dropped
off. Thanks again for being in charge of this . Will look forward to my boat assignment for Sat. FishHawk :D

tomd
08-13-2004, 10:00 PM
I'll be staying till about 11:00 Monday morning now :D :D :D

juro
08-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Sean...good Job on putting this together... I will check with pete (penguin), But he and I are scheduled for Saturday and dinner on Saturday night ...he will have his boat.

I don't see Pete signed up for dinner...

Is he able to bring anyone over on Sat?

Are you guys staying over or headed back after dinner?

schotty
08-13-2004, 10:15 PM
I have Sully coming with me early AM Friday. Dump our stuff and we're off.
Fix us up with one or two more and we'll be good.

grizz0707
08-14-2004, 08:56 AM
Sean,
Thanks for during this. I am new to this post and it is refreshing to see everyone help up for this event. I can meet Doc anytime Friday will be staying over Thursday night.

schotty
08-14-2004, 07:40 PM
I thought I replied to this. Me and the new boat are now both in Shirley finally.
Going on a trial run to PI on Thursday.
The plan is me and Sully show up as early friday as possible, dump our stuff and head out with whoever we get set up with. Plenty of room, big fuel tank and I don't believe it takes on water like my last boat.
Mike

Smcdermott
08-14-2004, 08:08 PM
I will update the list tomorrow. Thanks for the additional info.

Sean

tomd
08-14-2004, 08:45 PM
I'll be there an extra day now, I'll be leaving on Monday!!! :D

Tom D

Smcdermott
08-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Right now I still need arrival info from Lefty and GregO.

We have 2 (Shadfreak and Dave17) needing rides over on Friday. Schotty is also pretty full so I would like to remove 1 if possible.

Grizz0707 - Please contact Doc to schedule a meeting time.

That is all for now. I will give a full update tomorrow night when I have time to check the signup and see who is missing.

Please let me know if anything is not working so far.

Sean

Lefty
08-15-2004, 07:56 PM
I'll be there at dawn on friday. I have extra stuff for the camp but I can fit one more-light to average packed passenger. As far as fishing slots, consider my boat the last choice as it's only a skiff that hangs around the jetty like a pair of knickers on a.....nevermind. And if there's a fishing slot available any day I will take a ride and beach my boat.

Lefty

ssully
08-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Sean,

FWIW, You may want to consider having everyone on either the same VHF channel of keep an active channel for cell phone coverage. It may also be beneficial to have a set return to the campsite time on Friday so no one gets left behind stuck on the island all day guarding the infamous silver tarp.

I've been there and done that.

Lefty
08-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Sean,

Thanks for taking the time for this. I wouldn't get too hung up on scheduling boating assignments other than gettting people to and from the campsite. Usually the fishing just works itself out. My .02

I agree. Some weird almalgums of fishermen vs. which boats seems to develop in camp.
Be prepared for the grey area. Mon tends to be the leftover hardcores where many will pull out early on Sun. unscheduled. I wouldn't evan worry about Mon.
Just my .03 Good work Sean.

grizz0707
08-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Hi Doc,
jus sent you a PM thanks grizz

porkslice
08-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Sean great job thanks for stepping up. that goes to all of the
pepole that are making this trip a reality.:biggrin: :biggrin: THANKS!!!!

Lefty around what time on fri are you planing to arive at the ramp?
more imporant do you have any room for the trip over.

porkslice

juro
08-16-2004, 07:35 PM
there will be a flybox for donations to the meisters who volunteered, show your appreciation by dropping a fly or two in them to say thanks.

Smcdermott
08-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Ok, after reviewing the list here are the outstanding issues.

Juro : I have you on Brian's boat on Saturday but not sure how you are getting to the island. All set

Quentin : I have you on the island Friday but not sure if you are bringing your own boat for transportation and if so if you can take anyone else. All set

GregD : Any update on the boat? Are you still coming w/o and do you need transportation? All set

Flydoc : What time are you coming on Friday. According to the list you need a ride.

MikeZ : What time are you coming on Friday?

GregO : Sent you an email looking for some ride help on Friday. Please let me know your situation as soon as possible. All set

The synopsis here is that it looks like we are very tight for rides on Friday with some relief moving in Saturday. We may need to get one or two boats to make multiple trips. Hopefully it won't come to that since I know we all want to get out and fish on our days off.

Sean

juro
08-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Sean -

Man, you rock!

I need a ride over Friday anytime after 6pm.

Is anyone heading back after the Sat dinner or early on Sunday (6am)? My work schedule for Sun is contingent on bright skies.

thanks

Lefty
08-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Lefty around what time on fri are you planing to arive at the ramp?
more imporant do you have any room for the trip over.

porkslice

I'm usually the 1st guy there and launched which means I arrive early (sorry, like to beat the crowd and be available to troubleshoot others). FWIW, Sunrise is 5:55. I was waiting for Sean to assign me a rider. But I'd be glad to run you over. Sean? If so we can talk off line and line up the time.

Lefty

Smcdermott
08-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Lefty,

I was hoping to leave you out of the mix since you already had a lot on your plate. However, it looks like we will need you so take Porkslice and we will work out the others from there. Thanks for all your help here.

Juro ,

I can't imagine with all those boats out there Saturday that you won't have a ride back when you need it.

Sean

Lefty
08-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Sean-got it all set.

porkslice
08-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Lefty, thank you for the offer, I won't be getting down there till late fri due to
work.

Is anyone planning to go over late fri?

porkslice

Smcdermott
08-16-2004, 09:21 PM
Porkslice,

Give us a time man. Juro needs a 6 p.m. pickup. Are you in that range or are you talking later than that?

Sean

JimW
08-16-2004, 09:39 PM
I'm going to be picking up Rich D Friday eve ~6ish I can take one more.

porkslice
08-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Sean, I am thinking it might be beter for me to plan on going over
sat morning. I dont get off till 4 on fri and the last time I tried
to drive down on fri afternoon I almost drove off the bridge.
I am open to any sugestions.
thanks

porkslice

Quentin
08-16-2004, 10:13 PM
Sean,

I'm still planning to arrive early Friday morning and hope to be able to bring my boat. (Keeping my fingers crossed.) Sorry, but I will not have room for extra passengers. When you see my boat you'll understand :hihi: .

See ya Friday!

Q

Smcdermott
08-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Porkslice,

Ok, you are up for Saturday morning with TomD.

JimW,

Sounds like you have Juro covered.

Lefty,

I now have Shadfreak with you.

Sean

bcasey
08-17-2004, 06:30 AM
It's killing me but, sorry guys I gotta pull out! Family matters come first! :mad:
Sean, thanks for all your hard work, we will get together again, soon! Good Luck All

Smcdermott
08-17-2004, 07:54 AM
Brian,

Can't say I am not a little bummed but we understand. The only question now is what do I do with this Henschel reel and custom built 14wt rod!! :wink:

Sean

GregD
08-17-2004, 09:23 AM
Well my boat repairs are making progress, replaced the trim switch and rebuilt my control handle. Trim motor should be in today hopefully. Cut and welded a steel boom to lift the motor off the boat this weekend. I do have an appointment to have the trim motor swapped out by saturday, But so far he never seems to get the work done before I can get to it. If it's not fixed by friday, I'll be working on it saturday. I'm hoping to be there saturday morning thru monday now. We'll update this thread when I know more. We probably won't make it without a boat, and if by myself I would be limited to one day fishing solo. :frown:

Hope to see you guys this weekend,
Greg.

Smcdermott
08-17-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the update Greg. Hope things work out. I will consider you self sufficient unless I hear from you otherwise.

Sean

GregD
08-17-2004, 10:52 AM
Thanks, Sean.

I hope it works out too. Missed it last year, don't want a repeat of that. It's certainly one of my favorite clave get togethers... Hope we can make it.

Thanks,
Greg.

grego
08-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Sean,

Sorry but I am very up in the air.

I don't know exactly what days I will be going (hoping for at least Fri & Sat).

Also, I'm Definately taking my dad out at least once, & my brother-in-law is a maybe. So, I really don't know what my slot situation is.

Currently, I am shooting for being at the Ramp at 6:00 AM on FRI. & will shuttle to the Island with whatever space I have.

Smcdermott
08-17-2004, 12:41 PM
No problem GregO. Just wanted to know where you stood so I could schedule. I will consider you all full unless I hear otherwise.

Dave17 : It looks like the best option right now is the afternoon hitching a ride from the Esteys. I think you said you were flexible on arrival time. Let me know if that works for you. If not we can work out a morning time with a second run if necessary. If you have the day free don't feel like you have to waste it. Let us know.

Sean

Smcdermott
08-17-2004, 03:33 PM
It looks like everyone has been set up for a ride to the island with the exception of Flydoc and the Mike Z family who I haven't heard from.

Riders : Please contact the boat owners directly to work out the final logisitics of your rides directly (via PM, email or phone) if you haven't done so already. Make sure to discuss what gear you are bringing and let me know if there are any space issues we need to address.

I suggest that we work out rides off the island Saturday night as I imagine needs will change between now and then. Let me know if there are concerns with that strategy.

I will sketch out a boating schedule and bring it with me but with the recent drops I think it best that we work that out together each night as well.

Sean

FishHawk
08-17-2004, 04:14 PM
I have made contact with Doc and am all set for Fri. Will let you know Fri. night about weather I will stay Sat night or leave. Thanks again for putting this all together. FishHawk :smokin:

shadfreak
08-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Sean
Thanks for all your hard work. I won't be able to make the clave. I messed up my back somehow. I pm Lefty informing him that I won't be needing a ride
Have fun
Larry :frown:

Smcdermott
08-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Shadfreak,

Sorry to hear that. Get well soon.

Sean

ssully
08-18-2004, 11:30 AM
It's killing me but, sorry guys I gotta pull out! Family matters come first! :mad:
Sean, thanks for all your hard work, we will get together again, soon! Good Luck All

Case, I hope everything is OK with the family. And thanks for the inivte maybe we can do it some other time.

juro
08-18-2004, 11:54 AM
So Sean -

Looks like I am on the jetty with my two-handed friend on Sat. Which believe me, I like the sound of a lot. I have a grudge match with a big king mack to settle.

striblue
08-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Penguin and I are still in for Saturday BUT we are watching the weather carefully.

Smcdermott
08-18-2004, 12:13 PM
Juro,

Lets work out the boat schedule Friday night. It seems to me that there are a few veterans who always offer to take the beach. I understand thats your zone but if you want I don't see why we can't find a berth for you.

Sean

ssully
08-18-2004, 09:21 PM
Sean,

With the recent change of events I'm going to be on schotty's boat Saturday also with Lefty. That only leaves one slot. Thanks again.

Doc Duprey
08-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Sean, et al.,

Still planning on launching about 0600 hrs., but the weather is getting me a little nervous. I may just serve as a water taxi...don't know the area at all, so I'm being a bit conservative. Remember, there are old small boat skippers, and bold small boat skippers...

Also, where do youi recommend launching? Again, being new to the area, I can use some advice.

Best regards,

-Doc

Slinger
08-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Doc, the closest launch is at White`s landing, right behind Edwards Boatyard. The boatyard is right on Rt. 28 around the Falmouth- Mashpee town line, large parking area next to boatyard for ramp users. Don`t worry about the weathr, the Vineyard will keep you protected from the swells and you don`t have to go more than a half mile from the breakwater to find all the fish you want. If the wind blows hard the water will get choppy but even my little boat can handle it, last year the wind was worse and we still managed.
Slinger

Slinger
08-19-2004, 12:12 PM
Sean, push gerry to get him on the road earlier than 6, say 5:30. I have to be at the ramp by 7:30 and I`d like to stop at Leos for breakfast on the way. If it was up to me I`d leave right after work but he wants to follow me. Like I said push for an earlier start!
Slinger
ps He reminds me of my father in law, who we had to tell that somthing started at 5 if we wanted him there by 7. I detest lateness.

FredA
08-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Any hints or tips for first timers at Whites? Seem I recall a sharp drop if you got to far to the left or right when luanching.

striblue
08-19-2004, 01:29 PM
One Question... wasn't there some major vandelism problems with cars at Whites one year?...or do I have that wrong.

Lefty
08-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Yes there was a vandalism problem. But that was a at least 2 or 3 Boneclaves ago and we've been lucky since. I try to park out near the road, and leave the Beemer at home.

Lefty