Boating & the Boneclave [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Boating & the Boneclave

jfbasser
08-11-2004, 05:36 PM
We have had some discussion on this board about flats logic in the past. I would like to hear approaches and opinions for boat fishing at the boneclave (aka boneclave logic). Do we have run and gun advocates? Sit on a likely spot and wait advocates? Slow approach advocates? Cut motor and drift advocates? Blind casting advocates?

Slinger
08-12-2004, 01:04 AM
You know my opinion on it, I don`t care for the run n gun approach. I don`t think it works and it`s nothing but problems. I`d much rather drift the edge of a shoal where they`ve been seen to be feeding thru. They run in big circles and they were there for a reason and they will be back for the same reason. I`d rather be there when they blow up around you than chasing them down from behind.
Slinger

Slinger
08-12-2004, 01:08 AM
JF, you holddin out or what? When ya gonna tell them?

jfbasser
08-12-2004, 01:28 AM
Tell them what? About the SBFTs? They were on the nearside, so they don't count. BTW with the drop in water temp last Sunday they have left the area :mad: Regarding hardtail boating etiquette and the SBFTs, the score was the only "slow and methodical" boat 3 to four "run & gun" boats 0. :lildevl:

FishHawk
08-12-2004, 07:37 AM
Run and gun never works . I've seen it first hand. Takes a tremendous amount of discipline. When funny fish show up all bets are off. when they are busting on top and you can see that green marble backs smashing bait fish you tendency is to chase them. It seldom works. Easier said than done. Just my experience from watching the Red Bones Tournament a few years back on Mike Mayo's boat.
FishHawk :smokin:

Roop
08-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Run and gun never works . I've seen it first hand.

Boy that's a pretty finite statement.

I think both work, conditionally of course.