New to this board/Cape Cod question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New to this board/Cape Cod question

pcknshvl
08-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Hello, everyone,

I just registered here, and discovered that Leland is here too! I bump into him occasionally at one of our local parks.

Anyhow, onto the question:

I'll be on the Cape near Wellfleet at the end of September. I know that this is a good time of year for NE saltwater fishing, but can anyone give me some local pointers ?

And Leland, I plan to tie up some big blue and white beach poppers for the trip!

Tom

juro
08-11-2004, 06:13 AM
WELCOME!

Wellfleet at the end of September? You hit the motherlode friend. In all likelihood you will be steamrolled by the fall migration along the beaches from P-town to Chatham, and even closer to shore and reachable along the Nantucket Sound shoreline from Chatham to Woods Hole although some areas bring the fish closer than others if you are shorebound.

During all of this, the bunker are usually wandering around confused on the bayside flats and those big tides flush them around in the shallows where stripers froth the water fattening up on them where they can form an ambush line.

Adult bunker are usually present, 14" baitfish being hounded by 40" stripers whereever they go.

It's a good time to be fishing a two-hander on the backside beaches if you have a fast action shorter two-hander to bring along from your pacific northwest home waters.

The end of September is a time when there is a sense of urgency in the fish, moving quickly toward the spawning grounds so you might have to hop in and out of the vehicle a lot to stay on big pods. But unlike spring they feed actively the whole way as they move, chomping on bunker and silversides, sand eels and anything in their path.

There is not a day in late September that you won't see blitzes beyond your casting range if you spot-check the beaches on the national seashore.

I usually concentrate on the Natucket Sound shoreline at that time of year because the fish run so close to shore on that stretch as they head west.

If I am not booked, working or out of town I would be happy to show you around.

pcknshvl
08-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Nice of you to offer! I'll be there bout 9/26 till the weekend.

Unfortunately, I don't have a two-hander, but I should be able to bring a 9wt overloaded with 10 wt line (a multi-tip system).

I'll be busy at the tying bench, too!

Tom

pcknshvl
08-11-2004, 11:52 AM
BTW, does "backside beaches" mean "inside the elbow?"

Thanks....

juro
08-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Provincetown (hand) to Chatham (elbow).

I should be on cape around then and looking to get a fall striper fix.

pcknshvl
08-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Leland is urging me to meet up with you if you're available. You can e-mail me at pcknshvl@hotmail.com. I'll know more details the closer the time comes.

Looking forward to it!

Tom