Pollock Grocery Flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Pollock Grocery Flies

flyfishjeff
08-10-2004, 05:57 AM
These are a bunch of pollock grocery flies I just tied up. Jim Bernstein from Cape Neddick, ME taught me how to tie his original and these are variations on that idea.

They are tied on 4/0 Mustad 7766 hooks. The tails are schlappen, bucktail on the front, topped with peacock herl, red rabbit throat and gold 7.5 mm eyes.

The color didn't come out great in the photos but the top ones have bronze backs and the bottom ones are olive.

striblue
08-10-2004, 07:22 AM
They Look perfect...Nice colors and proportions.

saltydog
08-10-2004, 02:58 PM
Flyfishjeff, very NICE.
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN. :smokin:

striblue
08-10-2004, 03:22 PM
FlyfishJeff...if you can and when you get a chance...can you do a step by step... since the photo's are difficult to follow from your original description... it does not have to be long ...just a quick step by step...thanks.

Striperknight
08-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Very nice.

flyfishjeff
08-11-2004, 01:27 PM
They are basically big deceivers except the tail is made from schlappen feathers and the bucktail is layered along the hook shank instead of just tied as a collar behind the hook eye. I guess I would have to show you how I tie them if you wanted further details.

Jim Miller
08-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Jeff
Great series of flys. Thanks for sharing! Pattern also looks good for pogies or herring imitations (in different colors?) :D

flyfishjeff
08-15-2004, 08:16 PM
When these flies get wet they get more round bodied like a pollock. If I were to tie them more to imitate bunker or herring I would high tie the bucktail along the hookshank and tie all the feathers right at the back. Jim I've seen some of your flies on the forums and I've always been impressed. If you have been tying anything lately I'd be interested in seeing them.

Jim Miller
08-15-2004, 08:41 PM
Thanks Jeff
I'm a architect by profession and a "hack" flytyer by hobby! He He!
But I guess there is some cross over in the artisic rhelm.
Nothing really new from me as of late...been on vacation in Nantucket (field testing) :wink:
I did fish some Orvis patterns (Kellaher herring?) this past spring that were similiar to yours and were very effective for S Bass in May. Probably 7-8 inches long. But those Orvis patterns were kinda heavy and a bear to cast! :eek:
The patterns you have posted look to be more streamlined and lighter.
Keep up the good work and keep posting your creations!

juro
08-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Jeff -

Those flies are awesome. Tying instructions would be great.

Jim -

Unrelated topic - I just had to comment on that bonito image on your profile! NICE and gets me psyched for da' boneclave bigtime.

Jim Miller
08-15-2004, 08:51 PM
JURO
Just got back from 2 weeks on ACK. Bonito were thick at the bar on the incoming.
Bonito bunnies, white deceivers and mushies (small) all worked well! :biggrin:

Sorry to get off topic Jeff.....didn't mean to highjack your thread :) :)

dennypisegna
08-19-2006, 09:14 PM
These are a bunch of pollock grocery flies I just tied up. Jim Bernstein from Cape Neddick, ME taught me how to tie his original and these are variations on that idea.

They are tied on 4/0 Mustad 7766 hooks. The tails are schlappen, bucktail on the front, topped with peacock herl, red rabbit throat and gold 7.5 mm eyes.

The color didn't come out great in the photos but the top ones have bronze backs and the bottom ones are olive.

How about a quote on a half dozen