Gatti rods !? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Gatti rods !?

T&TMan
08-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Any1 knows something about Gatti rods ?

boogie
08-09-2004, 03:08 PM
there is a guy in portland Or. that builds on these blanks. he is a big fan and knows alot about them. his name is Chritian Brink i belive. ill try to find his number but you might be able to look him up.

flytyer
08-09-2004, 03:39 PM
They are some of the fastest recovering, stiffest, least flexible rods on the market. Very nice if you like a very fast rod that rarely bends more than the top 1/3 to 1/2 of the blank when casting. They are also a thin wall design, which doesn't like to be bent into a half-circle nor does it like to be hit with a fly. These two things will break the blank pretty quickly.

Bottom line, if you like a very fast rod that doesn' bend beyond the middle of the blank when casting, you'l love them.

T&TMan
08-10-2004, 05:38 AM
Thanks people..........so, T&T rods are more to trust to !? :confused:

AdrianV
08-12-2004, 07:43 AM
I own 3 of these Italian made rods and I cannot find myself in the answers you have received so far.
The Gatti range covers a wide area, from quite thick-walled working horses to extremely light, fast and thus breakable rods.
My standard rods (#6) are a couple of these working horses. They load easily, cast great (full length of flyline) and I do not get nervous if a beaded fly hits the rod. Next to that they are affordable (in Holland about 150 Euros, which is about $ 185,00). You could compare them with a Loomis GL3 but a bit faster. The finish is excellent. Next to that I use one of the racing horses (#4, 8') thin walled, quite fast, precise and delicate casting, and yes it gets me a bit nervous if I hit it on a branch or anything (after 6 years still in one piece) I personally do not like these very light rods, buts that's in general. All of those rods, whatever exclusive and/or expensive brand tend to break more easily. I just stopped joining the ratrace of buying "better, lighter, faster, more expensive rolls royce kind of rods" and became extremely pleased with these working horse Gatti's. Better buy a couple of good (working horse) reels with an excellent clutch and excellent lines, these bring you more fish and, most important, more fun.
rgds Adrian

flyfisha1
08-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Adrian,
That's a very good review of their rods. I was interested in building a rod on one of their blanks recently but was fortunate enough to find the real rod I was looking for at the time. Your assertion that they are nice rods at a good price is something that a lot of people could sit up and take notice of. While it's often nice to fish very expensive rods, it's not always desirable, and when a manufacturer offers a good rod at a reasonable price I honestly don't think it matters who's name is on the blank. This is probably why St. Croix sells so many rods over here, and why TFO and Albright are rapidly increasing sales.

hnl
10-08-2004, 08:58 AM
T&T man
You don't refer to the type of fishing you do. If salt water the following may help.
I bought two Gatti's from the factory. Both three piece 9' PA"s (Progressive action). The 9wt was a little slow - willowy - for me. But casted relatively well if you loke soft rods. What I really didn't like about the 9wt was the way it flexed all the way into the butt with even a small fish. I sold that rod and the new owner is happy. The 8wt is another matter. Stiffer but flexes well where it's supposed to. Its strength is in its ability to cast clousers which I usually hate. Loops are small and the rod seems to absorb the jerk at the end of a back cast with a clouser. I still have that rod. I just have so many rods that I don't get to use it as much - especially since I bought a Burkheimer 8wt. For a description of Gatti rods go to his web site : [url]www.gatti-flyrods.it
I'm looking at the T&T line. Can you tell me if you have any knowledge of their helix rods
Herb

fredaevans
10-08-2004, 10:45 AM
For a full 'breakdown' on Gatti rods contact Bob Meiser (R B Meiz rods) one of our sponc's. Up until recently he used a lot of Gatti blanks for his fab. spey rods. Moved over to Graphite USA as they allowed him a wider range of options for designing rod actions/blanks.

Robert Meiser
10-11-2004, 08:40 AM
T&T,

In years past I have built on Gatti's, have found them to be wonderful blanks.

... And have found their selection of rod actions to be very diverse.

Pretty much something for everyone.

Christian Brink does retail Gatti's in the USA, and has good knowledge of them.

He is a fine rodbuilder.

Google search his name, and you'll come to his site.

Meiz

T&TMan
02-27-2005, 03:33 PM
T&T man
You don't refer to the type of fishing you do. If salt water the following may help.
I bought two Gatti's from the factory. Both three piece 9' PA"s (Progressive action). The 9wt was a little slow - willowy - for me. But casted relatively well if you loke soft rods. What I really didn't like about the 9wt was the way it flexed all the way into the butt with even a small fish. I sold that rod and the new owner is happy. The 8wt is another matter. Stiffer but flexes well where it's supposed to. Its strength is in its ability to cast clousers which I usually hate. Loops are small and the rod seems to absorb the jerk at the end of a back cast with a clouser. I still have that rod. I just have so many rods that I don't get to use it as much - especially since I bought a Burkheimer 8wt. For a description of Gatti rods go to his web site : [url]www.gatti-flyrods.it
I'm looking at the T&T line. Can you tell me if you have any knowledge of their helix rods
Herb

I dont know anything abut helix ........ but I do own Horizon 9" 4wt & I must say it is one of the best rods I ever owned together with Winston boron.
Im looking forward to try Scott rods.......

Calibaetis
03-10-2005, 02:55 PM
I heard that Gatti is going through a major melt down. The Gatti Canada site is no longer up and I have heard that product was not being sent from Italy due to problems with the company there recently. Does anyone have any other info on this?