Salmonier Special [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Salmonier Special

sayow
08-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Folks, I thought I would share this pattern with you. It is one that was new to me this spring after it was published in the SPAWNER magazine. I substituted the white moose hair wirh white buck tail, and the red wool body with red floss. It took three fish at Parsons Pond when no other fish were hooked. It has moved to the "preferred section" of my fly can. It may work in your areas as well. The photo is from a scan of the SPAWNER. I don't have my kit with me to show my example.

flytyer
08-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Love claret bodied flies, especially in low water or water that has a bit of color in it. A very unappreciated and underused color IMHO.

Charlie
08-10-2004, 08:33 AM
Interesting fly Sayow,

Itís a color scheme that you very rarely see in Salmon flies.

Charlie.

sayow
08-10-2004, 09:13 AM
I hear ya Charlie! It's been a hot fly from central to the east coast of Newfoundland for the past few years. White wing flies usually fish well there...but claret body?? A "red" body and white wing fly on the west coast and northern peninsula..."won't fish..." is the general reaction. As I said, I didn't have any Claret or white moose hair, so I substituted red floss and white buck tail. It worked wonderfully!!
You just never know do you!

Charlie
08-10-2004, 09:30 AM
That's another thing. Claret I have. But white moose hair? Even when you bleach it, it comes out more of a tan. :Eyecrazy:

Charlie

Stu Farnham
08-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Check this out: http://www.farnham.ws/Four-Patricias

The background is a note card of of a Ralph Wahl photo for a 1997 exhibition at the Watcom Museum. The flies are my low-water ties of Randy Stetzer's Patricia, in sizes from 3/0 to 7.

the photo isn't great, it's a quick snapshot with ambient lighting. I plan to shoot it again with my photofloods set up (when the weather cools down a bit).

Stu

sayow
08-11-2004, 07:17 AM
Nice work!