Sage Blank Question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sage Blank Question

sayow
08-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Guys, I'm looking for some feedback for suggestions on which SAGE blank would be best suited for a rod Iam having built. I know I want a 9' 8 weight rod, medium action, for use on grilse, sea trout and salmon. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

sean
08-06-2004, 10:44 AM
I think you may be pretty happy with the XP. It is really not as fast as most people think and is a pleasant casting rod. The 4 piece 8 weight is a gem.

For a little slower rod you can go with the SLT. I use them for trout fishing and love the action. However for salmon/steelhead fishing I would still go with the XP. Would perform better at throwing for distance and handling sinking lines.

-sean

Smolt
08-06-2004, 11:22 AM
I think you may be pretty happy with the XP. It is really not as fast as most people think and is a pleasent casting rod. The 4 piece 8 weight is a gem.

For a little slower rod you can go with the SLT. I use them for trout fishing and love the action. However for salmon/steelhead fishing I would still go with the XP. Would perform better at throwing for distance and handling sinking lines.

-sean

Try and find a five-piece SP blank (now discontinued). I like it better than the three-piece, but the three peice will do in a pinch. My $0.02

juro
08-06-2004, 11:55 AM
IMHO you can't do better than the SAGE VPS 9'6" 8wt blank. It's the old RPL 8960, what could have been the best steelhead salmon singlehander ever made IMHO.

Less expensive and a true gem.

Tayside
08-06-2004, 12:24 PM
I use the SLT for Atlantics and Steelhead, it is powerfull and will pick up a lot of line. I do agree with Juro the VPS is a true gem it is just as good as the SLT and due to the price is a much better value.

Ian