8/4 Niantic [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 8/4 Niantic

Striper
08-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Well I got out to fish solo yesterday for the first time in quite awhile. I got to the ramp about 5:00 am. and launched soon after, I had talked to my buddy Al and he was already there in his boat from Clinton. We meandered around looking for shad and after awhile we got enough to head out to the reefs. Upon arriving at the reefs we found lots of small bass and blues feasting on peanuts/butterfish, I got the flyrod out and had some fun for a little while with them. Got tired of the small fish and decided to drown some shad for some bigguns'. My buddie Al was already drifting and had a couple of whacks but no hookups. Then Blaine Anderson Guide Service) calls me on the phone says he is out there and asks how I am doing. Told him just started but hoped for some large pretty quick. He came over with his charter and did some drifting with us for awhile before moving on to one of his secret spots. His sports seemed to be doing pretty well and all were smiling . I ended up the day with 8 big fish all over 40" and the biggest measured fish (not the biggest overall) was 46". Blaine was nice enough to take some pics of the biggest fish that I estimate at close to 40 lbs. judging by the difficulty I had lifting it . Pretty good day with alot of small fish on the light tackle first thing and then a nice bunch of big fish to end the day. I fished the end of the outgoing through the whole incoming tide and then the first of the outgoing again in the afternoon. Most of the fish came on the incoming tide and all were released successfully. Thanks again to Blaine for the pics, I really miss my digital camera and I am going to have to get another one soon.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
http://ctfisherman.com/data/4188-4-04mike3-med.jpg http://ctfisherman.com/data/4188-4-04mike5-med.jpg

CSJ60
08-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Hey Mike,

Looks like you are back in the groove...very cool :smokin:

Craig

juro
08-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Mike -

I am going to tie a 3 pound shad fly and meet you at the landing. :lildevl:

BigDave
08-06-2004, 07:35 AM
Mike,

Nice shot of you battling that fish from the Triton. Sounds like you're back
to your old tricks fooling the big girls.

Way to go bud :D

FishHawk
08-06-2004, 07:57 AM
I knew you couldn't leave the big girls alone. :lildevl:
FishHawk

Dble Haul
08-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Is it just me, or is that fish actually pulling your boat a bit in that first picture? :eek:

Lefty
08-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Wow Mike what an awesome looking....................BOAT!
I'm used to seeing you post incredible fish pictures, but I don't remember seeing your boat. How hard is that baby to launch? Hows it hold up in 3'+ seas? Nice fish too.

Lefty

Striper
08-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Lefty,
Thank you very much for the compliments, I am humbled by your comments. I love the boat it really is the perfect boat for me right now (always want something bigger faster stronger:) ) It is the easiest boat in the world to launch and retrieve, takes me all of maybe 3-5 min. from the time I get to the ramp till I am motoring off to fish. Literally 30-45 sec. once I back down the ramp. Retrieving is even faster especially if I have someone with me who can back the trailer. Drive it right on the trailer up to the bow stop clip the cable tighten her up and drive away to a remote area of the ramp to finish stowing. Very fast at it now after so many years boating and it allows for more time on the water :D .

Mike M.