Fly Fishing Forum banner

Atlantis at Parsons Beach, Maine

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
A friend of mine said he ran into someone at Parsons Beach in Maine this morning using an Atlantis rod. I was just wondering if it was anyone from here.
Jeff

#3 ·
Jeff -

It might have been Alan Erdossy of Broadside who was in the area, but could have been anyone.

Chris -

That rod was specifically designed to encourage flyfishermen to let go of schoolie fishing :lildevl:

Just kidding, Anything 24" or better is still an enjoyable fight on the rod, and a 15# plus fish is still a real handful. The Surf-tamer is rated 11/12 to be closer to AFTMA but to be fair in spey rod terms it's only a 7/8/9. For instance, the most common 8/9 spey lines are 640 grains over 54 ft, which is almost too much for the rod. Yet it's definitely not a 'schoolie rod', in fact it'll cast flies that could be mistaken for schoolies with the right lines. It's purpose is to allow the presentation of mackeral patterns in those rips to tempt the big cows, or throw full bunker flies into the Jersey surf, or boilermakers into a tropical reef spray. For me it is a reason to apply flyfishing techniques to the hunt for red october on the beach. With fall coming, these techniques will come into their own very soon.

However it can be fished "small", I find it useful for running 6" sand eel patterns in Chatham Inlet, reaching spring migratory pods others can't, and dealing with incoming beach waves with ease. Best of all in a howling cross-wind off the opposite side for casts over 100ft without breaking a sweat.

For those who want to take advantage of two-handed casting but still get yanked into the rip by a schoolie (verses the opposite), the new 9/10 Atlantis All-arounder will debut in time to make the fall migration. If you are interested in one, tell your CND dealer and that will help me put emphasis on production, which is currently focused on completing the new summer steelhead rods on the spey side of the product line for west coast and great lakes anglers.

I will have one rigged and ready for this Sunday at the Rod Builder's Workshop two-handed casting clinic (Kingston MA) along with a few Surf-tamers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.