Atlantis feasibility in boat fishing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Atlantis feasibility in boat fishing

Dble Haul
07-28-2004, 09:47 AM
An Atlantis rod is on the horizon for me.... :)

I've heard and seen some of the advantages of using this tool from the shore, but is it practical at all to use a two-hander from a boat? My vessel has nice, open casting decks, but I'm wondering about issues of landing fish on a boat with such a long rod. Plus there may be other issues that I'm not even aware of at this point.

Either way, I'll get plenty of use with it from the shore. But I'm curious about boat fishing with it.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Striper
07-28-2004, 10:20 AM
DH,
Juro came out with me last year on the boat with the extra long rods in the boat and they seemed to work fine. I don't know though that you really need to have the long two-handers when on a boat as you can easily reposition the boat for a closer shot at the fish. But to answer your question I think you can use the same as a one-hander.

Mike M.

juro
07-28-2004, 10:22 AM
I hope others reply but here's my input:

I've tested from boats and found it to be effective although not without certain considerations. Here is a good example of a day out on the boat c/o striper (Mike Mayo):

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=13191

I found it to be of great advantage when fishing toward the rocks because the extra casting distance let me hook up with room to spare as the boat drifted toward the toothy jaws of the Weekapaug shore. In fact I could be hooked up with a fish before most casters could get within reach of the fish, although Mike was an exception due to his unusually long single handed casting distances.

When the wind required casting off the opposite side of the body, this rod shines. It takes a little practice to learn how to cast across the body or left-hand up but no more than it takes to learn how to cast backward with a single-hander. With a little practice though you can cast further with much bigger flies using less effort in a cross-wind and that's an advantage in my book. And you don't have to turn your back on the fish or the waves.

When the rod is tucked under the arm it is really no longer than a 9ft rod in terms of line stripping and handling. It has considerably more beef than a 9wt rod and that could come in handy for fishing big.

Mike commented that I needed assistance getting those big slammer blues on board due to the extra length, but in all fairness he needed just as much help as I needed when those gators came to the gunwhale with his 9ft 9wt too :)

When tricked out with the right line system the Atlantis 1111 will cast further with less effort and handle bigger flies and fish than the standard 9ft 9wt single handed rod. It's only 11ft, and about 8" longer from grip to tip than the standard 9ft rod.

If you go to 12ft rods, then you are 20 inches longer - 14ft rods, and you are 44" longer than the 9fter! I would advise against going longer on a boat, but in all sincerity I found the 11ft length to be quite manageable.

The one downside I found was that any long rod, single or twohanded, will require that the fish is fought from the thicker part of the blank and if you are going for fish that fight straight down the tip is going to be in the water to avoid high-sticking a big strong fish. Kind of like the Canadian king salmon fishermen who keep their mooching tips in the water during the fight. This also depends on the height of the freeboard.

The blank is plenty tough and quite powerful and the mid-lower blank can definitely handle the task.

If you are coming to Boneclave I will have one for you to try out.

Striper
07-28-2004, 10:30 AM
although Mike was an exception due to his unusually long single handed casting distances.

Juro,
You are much too kind and I am sure there are many who cast better and further than I :o . Juro did mention one advantage I forgot about and that is the fact that you have a much longer lever to fight fish with, this is a huge advantage especially if you were hooking very large bass or the like. It definitely helps in yanking them up from the deep and he had far less trouble using his sail boat mast than I did with my chopstick. It is more difficult to land the fish with the longer rod, but as he stated no more difficult than a 9 ft. rod. I think now after thinking a bit more about it that they could definitely have their advantage out in the boat just the same as from shore. They are just another tool in the fight to find the BIGGUN'.

Mike M.

Dble Haul
07-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Guys, thanks so much for the feedback. My intentions of using this rod on a boat would be to:

1. Keep the fly in the water longer (i.e., longer casts)

2. Reach the rocks from a safer distance (again, longer casts)

3. Reach fish that pop up just out of "normal" fly distance, without having to reposition the boat....sometimes things just happen quickly out there :)

4. Being able to handle the wind more effectively

According to your comments, these issues seem to be fairly well covered. And since I really never fish the ocean by myself in the boat, landing the fish could be a team effort if push comes to shove.

Juro, I won't be able to make the Boneclave, but thanks for the offer. I've pretty much made the decision to get the Atlantis, and now it's only a matter of time until I get the funds (read: annual bonus :biggrin: ) to make the purchase.

The archived threads on the Atlantis is a goldmine of info, but I may still pop up with a question or call between now and then.

Thanks again guys.

GregD
07-29-2004, 05:12 PM
I have used the Atlantis off my boat and like it very much for the same reasons that you listed as reasons to use it. I also didn't find it anymore difficult to deal with hooked fish than with my single hander 9 or 10 wieght.

I especially like the longer handle as a true fighting butt.

The Atlantis works great in standard rod holders, including rocket launcher types that single handers don't fit in. No need to buy special fly rod holders.

The reduced need for false casting coupled with greater distance casting make quick deliver over a great distance much easier in my opinion.

Really the only negative I have found is it is too long to fit in the rod holders on the inside of my hull. Minor complaint since it works so well in the transom mounted rocket launcher holder.

In short I find it to be my first choice for use on the beach or in the boat.

Can't wait to try it out on small BFT or YFT offshore, now if I can just get hooked up with one I'll be all set. :D

I think you'll enjoy it alot once you get used to it.

Greg.