Bad Break.....No Pun...just pain! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bad Break.....No Pun...just pain!

RayStachelek
07-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Maybe we haven't taken notice but Art Burton has not been posting is helpful information lately.

Art had a serious leg accident while working on a ladder doing outside work on his house. Art had a double compound fracture to his left leg. He foot slipped off one of the bottom rungs. Thank God he was near the ground when this happen. Doctors have inserted a rod and cross drilled it with pins in his ankle. Spent 17 days in the hospital recovering. He's home now convalescing. He thinks it may be a year before he is active again to wet a line.

Get well!....... My thoughts are with you buddy.

ssully
07-26-2004, 11:39 PM
Get well soon Art!

Slinger
07-27-2004, 01:22 AM
This is bad news indeed. Art will be sorely missed along the South County beaches this fall. Here`s hoping for a speedy recovery. Maybe now we can get him to put down some of his experiences in print. Arts been catching bass on flies exclusivly since before spinning was invented and is a treasure chest of information.
Slinger

FishHawk
07-27-2004, 05:25 AM
Get well Art.
FishHawk

juro
07-27-2004, 05:56 AM
Art -

As mentioned in my other post (Quinebaug R) we will get you out there if we have to carry you out there on our backs!

I really appreciate your knowledge on that location, I am going to go with your advice and do the spey class there.

THANK YOU and get well soon buddy.

Hawkeye
07-27-2004, 08:08 AM
Best wishes Art and a speedy recovery. The RI waters wont be the same again until you are laying down line again.

Smcdermott
07-27-2004, 08:36 AM
I bet there are a few cow bass in South County breathing a sigh of relief. Get well soon Art so you can wipe that smile off their face :wink: .

Sean

Lefty
07-27-2004, 09:10 AM
Jeez Art, tough one. Heal up quickly and catch the fall run.

Lefty

striblue
07-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Art...My best wishes to you for a speedy recovery!

Chris
07-27-2004, 10:18 AM
OUCH!!
Get well soon.

DFix
07-27-2004, 10:53 AM
What a lousy way to get shut out of a fishing season :(

Here's to a speedy recovery, Art- there are still guys who want to tag along with you one day, if and when a chance presents itself! :wink:

Best to You and Helen.

John Desjardins
07-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Art, glad you weren't up at the eaves when you fell. I hope you feel better soon.

Striper
07-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Art,
I am very sorry to here this awful news. I hope you are recovering alright and the pain is not too bad! Breaking a limb sucks but doing it in the summer and during fishing season makes it that much more hurtful. If it makes you feel any better I have been working so much this year I may have well broken my leg cause I be damned if I can find any time to get out and fish. I hope you get well quickly and I too would be more than willing to get you into the boat however we have to do it to get you back out of the house and on the water.

Mike M.

artb
07-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Thanks it does me good to find what kind of guys are involved with this website, and I do try and feed true information as to what I know. I remember how Al Brwewster and myself worked trying to develop fly patterns that would catch bass. Today it is so much different with all the synthetic materials that are available, and all the experts that have so many different killer patterns. I have got to the point where I am finding that almost any fly will take fish if presented right. I must have atleast 300 different patterns that I have taken fish on. I think I could fish with about 6 different patterns only varrying size, shape, and weight. While I am on my soap box, I want to commend StriBlu with the great flies he ties, and find it hard to believe they are so life like, that he has only been tying for about 5 years. I have been tying for around 60 years and I would be ashammed to have one see them. Again thanks guys for the thoughts, and if I can assist anyone on how when, and where I would be happy to help. I wish I could handle a fall fishing clave around Westerely or Charlestown but I can't Two years ago I had between 4 and 6 experts to help make the clave a thing of instructions on how to fish southern RI, but something called weather stopped it.
Thanks again for the thoughts. ArtB

FrenchCreek
07-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Art, I'm real soory to hear about your misfortune. Get well soon and focus on what is most important now, a full and speedy recovery. If I get down your way this fall, I'll try my best to drop in and you can "fish with me" with your marvelous stories, if not on the beach.

Penguin
07-29-2004, 03:26 PM
Art...
You know what "they" say about "idle hands"?!
If computer access is a problem, I've got a laptop that you can borrow...
and...
If you care to make use of my portable tying outfit, I would venture off Cape to the DarkSide (of the canal) in a flash and deliver it at the speed of heat!
Down the recovery road, when you're ready to wet a line, there's always a spot onboard the Phracas with your name on it!

You've got ALOT of friends here and we're all pulling for you!!!

artb
07-30-2004, 06:11 AM
Thangs Penguin for the offer I have a laptop which I am using right now, I have got to get some kind of virus protection though. I have lots of flytying material around, but I hate to mess up the living room where I spend most of my time. The wife has a big problem now with me without having hair anf feathers blowing around. Thanks When I am able I am going to be looking for ways to get fishing, it doesn't look good for this year.

fliboy
07-30-2004, 04:45 PM
Art,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I'll never forget the first day I met you - four years ago. You drove up with your 4 wheel drive rig and told me to hop in. You showed me quite a bit of territory in the south country - and I'll be forever grateful for the help and time you provided me.

Get well soon - and let's hope we can get you out during the fall run.!

Dave

JimW
08-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Art,
I wish you a full if not speedy recovery. Don't push it and let it heal right. The fish will still be there when your at 100%.

It would be greatly appreciated by this group if you were to post now and then. As others have stated you have a wealth of info and I'm sure a fish story of two that we'd all enjoy reading.

As far as virus protection, firewall, pest control goes, maybe I can help you out there. PM me your address and I'll get a CD in the mail as soon as I can put it together.

It the machine doing anything out of the ordinary?

artb
08-03-2004, 06:33 AM
Thanks Jim for the thoughts. My stepson works repairing computers, he told me though if I hsve s problem he will fix it. I see where the RI governor went fishing the other night and got a 25 lb striper among others. Casting EELS, Improve your skill use a flyrod.