Low water flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Low water flies

sean
07-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Now that we are getting to the dog days I thought we could post our low water flies as we wait for the water to cool off before we can get back out there. Sorry for the image quality as this was done on a scanner but you can get the idea.

Mine is the Creme De Menthe by Dick Van Demark. I never got a chance to meet him but love his low water flat wing series of flies. I think olive is an underutilized color in steelheading and this fly has brought me good luck during low flows.

Thread: Olive
Tip: Gold Mylar
Tag: Flor. Yellow-Orange Floss
Tail: 4-5 Strands of Flor. Yellow-Orange Floss
Body: 3 parts Olive 2 parts Chatreuse
Dubbing Silk: yellow or olive
Ribbing: Gold
Hackle: Greenish gray pheasant rump
Underwing: few fibers yellow or white hair
Overwing: 2 greenish gray feathers pheasant rump

Smalma
07-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Sean-
Dick would be very pleased that you enjoy one of his flies and that they are still be shown to one of his life's loves.

I had the pleasure of knowing and fishing with him for more than 25 years. While he could certainly be quirky he was a true sportman and gentlemen with a great passion for native salmonids and the fisheries they support. His series of flies reflects his years on the water and his thoughts on what appeals to both the angler and fish.

For me a simplified hair wing version of the Lady Caroline (sorry no picture) served well during those occassions that I wished to grease line below the surface in skinny water.

Tight lines
S malma

flytyer
07-26-2004, 01:10 AM
Sean,

It is nice to see someone else ties and fishes true low-water style flies in the skinny water of late summer/early fall. They are such sleek, good swimming flies when fish greased line or with a riffle hitch that I look forward each year to skinny water so I can use them again.

Here are Kelson's "Bo Peep" and "Bumbee" along with Art Lee's "Stardust".

I also fish a low water Lady Caroline, the Old English Iron Blue Dun, the March Brown, Logie, Jockie, Claret Adler, and Jeanie.

juro
07-26-2004, 05:52 AM
A few of my favorite low water style flies are the black heron, purple peril spey, and a sparse lady caroline like Smalma mentioned. I especially love the black heron because it's such a throwback and I've had really great luck with it on summer steelhead.

In low water I tend to work the rapids and riffles more with other flies, thus using other designs suited to fast water. There may be less fish than in stacking pools but the ones that are there torpedo the fly with zeal at first light. These are usually ansty fish trying to move, but often can't wont.

The low water designs have produced most for me over holding fish, e.g. stacked fish in a pool.

Gotta admit though - one of the most effective flies I've ever fished during low water is the marabou wooly bugger in black, olive, or purple. :tongue:

Charlie
07-27-2004, 08:56 AM
Nice flies gentleman! That Creme De Menthe would be fantastic in the Great Lakes. Th color and profile are perfect. I’m not so sure about Atlantic salmon, but I think that just stems from the fact that I have not used olive colored flies for Atlantic salmon. Sounds like something I should get to work on.

Charlie

Salar-1
07-30-2004, 09:28 PM
Charlie
You've never used a Lady Caroline(2/0) on ANY Gaspe river in the spring ?????????
Or an Olive Trotinette on the York ??????? :eek:
I'll tying up some #6 and 8 Creme de Menthe's for the Madeleine in 3 weeks. Will keep ya'll posted !!!
Cheers
Brian

Poul
08-01-2004, 12:42 PM
A version of Van Demark's "Dark Priest" in sizes 12 through 2/0 is my most-used steelhead fly. I first met Dick in 1969. I was 14 and he took me under his wing as my mentor. Dick was an exceptionally talented, thoughtful and versatile angler, and as loyal a friend as any man could hope to have. I think of him often, particularly when fishing the waters we once shared.

Poul

Charlie
08-02-2004, 07:24 AM
Brian,

Good luck on the Madeleine. Some friends tell me it gets a fantastic run of fish. Very under rated river.

As for the Lady Caroline and the Olive Trotinette, I already have some tied up so the situation will be remedied.

Thanks, Charlie.

Salar-1
08-04-2004, 03:17 PM
here's a version of the C.de M. I tyed up for Gaspe
Used Olive for body and changed the tail and tag for Chartruese,as our Atlantics are particular to this colour :)
Named it the East Coast Creme de Menthe

Salar-1
08-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Charlie
The Madeleeeeeeene is also one of Gaspe's prettiest rivers.The trail up(or down) Rapids Blancs is also an extreme test of one's hiking skills as is the trail (trail, WHAT TRAIL !! ??) down to pools 4 through 1 on sector 1 .
Cheers
Brian

Charlie
08-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Nice Fly Brian,

Hope you catch a bunch on it. :D

Charlie.

Charlie
08-04-2004, 03:59 PM
And Sean,

Even though I'm a little late, Happy birthday!

Charlie.