building a portable tying bench.. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: building a portable tying bench..

crashfromboston
07-24-2004, 08:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i am in the process of finishing my first bench..
and to other tyers out there.. would you prefer
to have more open room on the bench.. or have a
side rail on both sides.. one for your tools,
and the other to hold a magnetic strip for
drying your finished flys..? i have it set up
currently with two raised platforms.. one
running up the left hand side 1.5" wide by 24
long.. with holes drilled to hold scissors and
other tools, and a wider 3.5" wide platform
across the back which i plan on putting dowels
to hold spare spools of the standard thread
sizes i use oh. the bench is roughly 24x24..
and the side platform is raised about 3" and the
rear sits 5" high..
if i can post a pic when its done i will.. its
still in the dry fit stage and i have not
finalized it as of yet..
any advise will be appreicated..

Moose
07-24-2004, 09:51 PM
is a portable table that will sit securely across the arms of my recliner so I can sit in the Lazy boy tying flies with my laptop on the table beside me tuned into flyfishingforum.com and an NFL game on the tube. My wife wants a vacuum that will pick up hackle stems and dubbing from the shag carpet. :smokin:

flyfisha1
07-25-2004, 08:42 AM
I'd like some open- or closed-cell foam beneath the arm that holds the tools to prevent scissors from scratching the work surface and becoming dulled at the points. Also, a colored background (such as light green) that folds out and up to give contrast to the fly while you're working.

flytyer
07-26-2004, 02:49 AM
One of the best things I ever did was buy a polyethelene cutting board and putting it on my tying table. Glues don't adhere to it (even superglue just peels off), it is non-glare, and is a nice white color for great contrast. It would be easy to attach one to a portable tying table by simply cutting it to fit and attaching it with screws.

Since I don't use a portable tying desk or table prefering to tie on a larger surface on which I can place all the materials I'm using for a fly on and keep them separated for ease of finding and handling, I use a 4' long folding table I got at Office Depot for about $25.00. It is 30' wide and easily accomodates my tools, a lazy susan I use to put freshly head cemented flies on for drying, the material to tie the flies, etc. I have a piece of 2x4 that has holes drilled in its edge (the 2" side) that hold my bobbins (I have over 30 of them all loaded with different thread colors or sizes), bodkins 9I have 3 different sizes), dubbing twister, dubbing teaser, and wjhip finish tools ( I ahve both the standard and long-reach Materelli) that I place at the back of the table next to the wall. This way I have all my tools readily at hand. I place my cements (I use Flexament, head cement, superglue, and Loon High Gloss) just in front of the 2x4 and up against the back edge of the polyethelene cutting board, which keeps them handy but out of the way until I need them.

If you want a table to take with you on fishing trips, a polyethelene "TV tray" table is idea. Inespensive, very portable, easy to set up, takes up very little room, and can be set up for use nearly anywhere, unlike the portable tying desks. Moose, you might consider getting one of these for your use, although it won't fit over the arms of your chair, it will fit right next to it and provide a pretty stable surface for tying.