Monomoy, 7/23?, Lost in the Fog [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Monomoy, 7/23?, Lost in the Fog

FredA
07-23-2004, 06:40 PM
I think it's the 23rd. Chatham was socked in this morning and the early wind was more easterly than I expected. Fishhawk and several others made the trip over. After castin into the wind and fog for awhile decided to find the crib. Steve from Ketcham made the mistake of following me. Promptly got disoriented and a 5 to 7 minute walk became aan hour or so. Steve, a serious fisherman, was undoubtedly swearing at me under his breath. He suggested we talk to a clammer near by, but, you know about guys and asking for directions. Finally ran into a channel and I figured this must be the east end of the crib (only been there once this year so I really disdn't have the lay of the land. We followed the edge and came upon a woman clamming. she staightend us out and explained we were at the west extreme of Broad creek on the west side (just call me Lewis or Clark. Anyhow we finally found the crib. Caught a few fish Steve had an opp. to try to figure out how to make a number of stripers eat his fly.

Very interesting day. After things cleared I was still disoriented but eventually I was trying to figure out how I got so screwed up. By the way, when I looked for my compass in my pack it wasn't there. I'd used another pack 2 weeks ago for Monomoy and it was in there.

jfbasser
07-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Next time it happens remember when you hook a fish they always head East :whoa: Be careful out there! Need you around to help with the Doublewood!

FredA
07-23-2004, 09:41 PM
It wasn't a bad situation, just strange and a little embarassing. Kept bumping into clammers and I knew the fog was going to break. But the places spatial aspect was wierd. Looking at the area later in the day, the place just ain't that big. But in the fog, when you can't see and just keep walkin, it seems like your in an endless closet.

FishHawk
07-24-2004, 09:03 AM
I stayed close to shore for fear of getting lost in the Fog. Got one Blue. When the Fog cleared made it over to the Crib and watched Fred release a nice fish.
Meet two anglere from Long Island who told me that they had a double and there were lots of fish around. Guided Steve a little and showed him the island. Took compass bearings for future use. High on my list is a GPS.
When we landed on the island Captain Dan had the boat turned around so that when I got off the boat the island was behind me not if front of me as I thought it would be. Asked Capt. Dan where's the island he said it was behind me. That made a big impression on me. Lesson learned . Watch it in the fog.
Another great day at Striper U. Failed the Fog test. Where is Jim Sims when you need him. FishHawk :hihi:

striblue
07-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Hand held GPS"s are really perfect for those situations.

FishHawk
07-24-2004, 07:11 PM
That's my next purchase a GPS but the old fashioned compass never needs battries. FishHawk

jimS
07-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Fishhawk, I've been so disoriented by fog in both hunting and fishfing trips to numerous to mention. As a result, I'm almost anal about having a compass and GPS when venturing about. I've been in near panic mode on Monomoy in the fog, but not anymore. Waypoints with real names, e.g. drop-off, north end, & crib, are in my GPS. One thing I don't have, that I should have in my GPS, are a few cuts on the west flats. Striblue is correct in that a GPS won't do you any good unless you have the necessary waypoints in the system.

See ya soon,

Simms

juro
07-25-2004, 02:56 PM
Just one note on this topic:

Compass will give you relative heading. How are you at dead reckoning? Better be pretty good if you are looking to do more than a straight line to shore. Cuts, channels, trenches - all will require more than a heading but iteration over given spans at given headings. Without the ability to confirm length of vector it's only a half-way solution.

Anyone who thinks a compass heading toward the known land masses equals safe passage is dangerously naive. Sometimes the only safe escape route is to go in a direction you would not expect, often 3-5x the distance to shore, but the only safe route.

Only if you are certain of this heading relative to your position would a compass do any good. This is a function of your knowledge, not the device in your hand. Even with a track set in GPS, the trail you walked at low tide has no relevance to the trail you are safe to retreat mid-flood.

I've quite a few footprints out there and would offer this advice for what it's worth: #1 tool is caution/prevention, #2 is knowledge, #3 GPS and #4 compass. It's a good idea to bring all four.