Big Bunker in NJ [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Big Bunker in NJ

Nick
07-21-2004, 10:35 AM
I'm down in Avalon, NJ (just north of Cape May) this week. Fishing is not the main objective (we did get some fluke for a fry), but there are MONSTER bunker all along the beach front. I've never seen this in my four years coming here about this time every year. I snagged one yesterday hoping there where blues in the mix and it was easily 14". I haven't seen bunker like this since I was younger...very awesome and hopefully great news for the fall run!

Nick

juro
07-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Sounds good! If they wander into any bays or inlets go back at night and they will be getting pounded by cow bass and slammer blues.

craig
07-21-2004, 01:44 PM
With bait like that for the stripers to feed on, we should be seeing some really big fish in the future! :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Nick
07-21-2004, 02:45 PM
Found some small blues hitting the surface and shiners today...the bunker are staying just off the beaches out front, i've been waiting for them to run the Townsend inlet...

I may go try and harrass them at daybreak this week...i'll be sure to report.

BigDave
07-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Nick we used to stay down there every summer.

The fishing inside Townsend's all through the intercostal waterway
behind Avalon can be a riot for schoolie bass and cocktail blues
right up against the sodbanks on poppers.

Just gotta catch it at low light when the boat traffic has cooled down.

Have fun!

IronMike
07-21-2004, 09:03 PM
Not that I don't think you know your fish, but might they be shad? I was down in Jersey this time last year and was snagging what I thought were large bunker like that and turned out they were shad.

Just thought I'd toss that out there.

Nick
07-21-2004, 10:44 PM
BigDave....I've yet to be in any condition by sunset that would allow me to take the boat out and about...the slogan here should be "you come for our days, you stay for our nights!" I always intend to head out and find these elusive summer time bass, maybe I'll give it a whirl tommorow.

Ironmike, I'm 99% sure their bunker....look just like what I bought to stick in the Crab Trap. But you never know, could be wrong.