Quinebaug River, MA/CT line? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Quinebaug River, MA/CT line?

juro
07-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Anyone familiar with this river?

I would like to find a spot to teach a private Spey casting lesson in that area. I am looking for a spot that is at least 150ft wide with a shallow wadeable bank and good current. Preferably both sides of the river would be accessible.

Thanks in advance.

artb
07-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Juro, I know of no places 150 feet wide, no room for backcast, except maybe right in the center of putnam,ct alongside Kennedy Drive. Sorry not much help, but it is a good area though for Brown trout fishing, CT license is very expensive. I am now out of commission, and doubt that I will be able to fish again this year if ever, Julu 4 th I received a double compound fracture of my left leg, just got out of the hospital yesterday. Sorry, not much help. ArtB

Dble Haul
07-22-2004, 09:19 PM
Juro- Sorry, but even though that river is close to my area I'm not familiar with it.

Art- Get well soon! I'm sorry to hear about your injury.

juro
07-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Art -

:Eyecrazy: Sorry to hear about your injury! I hope things are on the mend. I know you will be fishing again, even if we have to carry you to the beach :)

Please get well quickly and thanks for the reply.

juro
07-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Art,

Just took a look at putname on terraserver. This stretch is just below a dam... does the water have decent current? Thanks for the recommendation.

artb
07-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Juro, The more I think about it the better I feel. Kennedy Drive runs right alongside of it. the water has good current above and below the dam. In the spring the city of Putnam have a fishing drby for the kids. All along Kennedy Drive for about a mile there is park like grounds with even fireplaces. I n the dam area It is about 200 feet wide with unobstructive back casts. Further down it has much shade, but excellent brown trout fishing, and not that heavily fished. My brother-in-law lives no more than a stone's throw away. After thinking about it I think it would be a good place. Very easy access to rt.395. hope this helps. Just about running on a laptop, can't access my main computer in the cellar. :mad: artb

Lefty
07-23-2004, 04:26 PM
How about the Nashua in Peperell?

juro
07-23-2004, 04:42 PM
Art -

My student lives in CT so this is an excellent choice, almost halfway a little in his favor :)

One more question - is is possible to wade out into the water 15-20 feet away from the shore along this stretch without being over the tops of the waders? In other words, a gravelly bottom that one could wade around in with a gradual sloping bottom? Shallow riffles are good too (safety purposes).

Thanks again and get that leg better for the hardtails ;)

Lefty -

Thanks for the suggestion, I practice on the Nashua River in Hollis NH frequently near the bridge. Nice spot, like being up in the north country or something. Down below the rocks it's about 200ft wide.

My customer lives in CT so I want to meet him halfway. Aerial searches revealed this interesting looking river, the Quinebaug, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks to Art I think I might just have my spot!

artb
07-24-2004, 07:00 PM
Juroif it is in the near future, I don't know what the waterflow is, it is a river that changes a lot. I don't know what the depth is below the dam, or if it s wadable, if I wasn't hurt I would check it out for you. I do know that there is a small river that joins the Quninebaug just below the dam and it has a bar or two. I just don't know if it is clear for a backcast. sorry. Wish I could help more. It is good brown trout water though.