Wild Steelhead in Big Lagoon! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wild Steelhead in Big Lagoon!

nickcsus
07-19-2004, 04:36 PM
So, the guide says we would probably get a few cutthroat trout and maybe a half-pounder or two. Imagine my suprise while fishing with a Scott 5 wt. and a Tioga Teton #6 to see my fly go screaming off for parts unknown! Through the line and into my (only) 100 yds of backing! Fish stopped with only about 20 yds left on the reel. She made three more runs before we netted her. My first steelhead! I now know what the obsession is about. Thanks for all the advice on this forum and the vicarious pleasures of hearing about the fish when I can't get out there...thought I'd return the favor.

Nick

MJC
07-19-2004, 05:29 PM
Very cool! :whoa:

mattzoid
07-20-2004, 01:54 AM
Catching them in fresh water is a blast, but I've heard that catching them in the salt would make me scream like a little girl. Who cares what I sounded like, I'd be a high pitched happy assed fly fisherman.

Congrats,

andre
07-21-2004, 10:04 AM
Nick, Is this the Big Lagoon north of Trinidad? I've heard of Steelie and some monster cutts coming from that area.

Matt, I mirrored your thoughts on the latest post on the matching shirts in the pics (you know the site). You might notice something else if you check the properties of those pics (with a user name on anothoer site).

andre

nickcsus
07-21-2004, 10:23 AM
Yes, exactly the Lagoon is visible from Highway 101, probably four miles by two miles. It is brackish because salt water seeps through the 15 ft. high sand wall that separates the lagoon and the ocean.

I am told that occasionally the ocean actually breaks through--either from storms or erosion and an inlet is established, but that has not happened for several years. I should mention that we went out with Mike from the Eureka Fly Shop in a drift boat. I ended up with two 9lb steelies, a half-pounder about 14 inches, and a seven inch silver (big eyes!)

The highlight of the day for me however was my wife turning around and saying "Where's my bobber?" "Set the hook!," yelled Mike, and after a nice tussle, she landed a very handsome male steelhead about 4 pounds. Couldn't have asked for a better trip! There is another smaller lagoon a bit further north but I am not sure about what fish it holds.

We really did expect to get sea run cutthroat trout but didn't see one all day. Beautiful--Alaska-like surroundings...osprey, pelicans, herons, bald eagle, etc. Highly recommended.

nickcsus
07-25-2004, 10:59 PM
Finally, and we will see if this attachment business works, I have a picture of the beast that worked me so hard...let me know if you can see this...

Nick csus

nickcsus
07-25-2004, 11:02 PM
The previous posting worked so well, I thought I would upload the steelhead the wife got as well...a male about 4 pounds. She was fishing with spinning tackle and couldn't understand where the heck her bobber went...!