Maine stripah report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Maine stripah report

Dble Haul
07-18-2004, 07:50 PM
The wife and I spent the weekend up in Maine with my folks for a family reunion, so my dad and I snuck out for several hours worth of fishing this morning.

We fished some cliffs and jetties in the South Portland and Cape Elizabeth areas. Early morning provided some nice topwater action in the white water crashing the rocks. If a cast was timed right with the wave cycle and the Banger made enough noise, a slot fish usually jumped all over it. There were a few bigger (just under 30") fish as well, and we finished up the morning with my dad taking a beautiful 33" pig on a squid pattern just downtide of a rip on a jetty tip. I was really happy to see him connect with such a fish in that current. :smokin:

I also noted that most of these areas seemed to be tailored for use with the Atlantis two-hander. We could have covered much more water with them, and aside from one jetty that became slightly crowded with other fishermen, there was plenty of backcasting room.

Juro, I might be PMing you again soon regarding the two-hander. :wink:

Chris
07-19-2004, 09:24 AM
Nice to here you did well. Porkslice, Drew and I pulled an all nighter, Friday at Popham but didn't do much for our efforts. I hooked three and landed one, all small schoolies, Jim landed one. If you're up this way again drop a note and maybe we can meet. I'm on call this week but will try to get to Ferry beach or Cape E for some action.

Dble Haul
07-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Chris, if my time hadn't been so compressed with the reunion I definitely would have given you guys a heads up so that we could meet. I might be up that way again at the end of August.

Thanks for the offer.