North Fork Lewis [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: North Fork Lewis

loophitech
07-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Well, the steelhead yesterday were as zipperlipped about taking a fly as the locals are for telling secrets of the river. The steelhead were just stacked throughout the river system and just not taking. I did bring to hand a nice 16" cutthroat that leaped about three feet in the air! It was a sight to behold. I floated from the first hatchery to the golf course with a couple buddies and had a great time nonetheless.

The jet sleds were out, need I say more? :lildevl:

roballen2
07-19-2004, 01:12 AM
The North Lewis is full of Skamania hatchery fish if ya wanna get them to move to a fly get it deep and slow.. They are completely worthless as a game fish for the fly in my opinion. Cowlitz fish are much better biters

juro
07-19-2004, 05:33 AM
Fish the major obstruction structures upstream from where they hold during the next hard rain. I've done very well with my black or purple bunny rats (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=1587&highlight=bunny) under these conditions even with otherwise dour fish. 12' super light tip made from a 7wt shooting head forward taper to pull them down, and they do dance the deadly dance underwater when tied right.