Classic's for Fishing! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Classic's for Fishing!

Charlie
07-15-2004, 02:17 PM
Fellow tier’s,

Flytyer had some great posts recently on Bombers, Waller Waker’s and the Riffle Dancer. Just wondered if anyone out their uses Classic Atlantic patterns for their fishing, ether for Steelhead or Salmon. I use some once in a great while on the Gaspe. If you do, lets see some of the ones you use. Or if you just tied a few up and haven’t used them. I know there are some fantastic tiers on the board. So let’s see. Here are a few of mine. The Lady Amherst, Ray Mead and Orange Parson.

Charlie

mattzoid
07-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Those are beautiful fies Charlie. Too pretty for here on the west coast. It would be a shame to get them caught up in some gear guys garbage and lose them. Plus with my casting, I am just too brutal to put anything that nice on the end of my line. Very nice indeed.

Brian Simonseth
07-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Beautiful !!
:)

sean
07-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Nothing is too pretty for a steelhead. Why show a steelhead anything less than the best?

Nice flies and I am slowly teaching myself to tie them. It is quite the art.

-sean

inland
07-15-2004, 08:47 PM
Charlie,

Sweet ties!!!

I have spent a very small amount of time throwing full dress classics for steelhead. They work as good, or bad, as anything out there.

My first handful of Atlantics all came to full dress Green Highlander, Jock Scott, or Silver Doctor. Still fish them when I get a chance.

William

flytyer
07-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Charlie--

Like you, I tie and fish classics. So what if I lose a fly to a rock, crowned stump, tree, etc., they were designed for fishing and they are still rather effective. Instead of the Ray Mead, I like the Eden Bulldog with its blue instead of yellow body and orange tag. I also fish a Ray Mead style fly that I put a red/blue instead of yellow/black wing on and a hot pink tag, red floss body, and dyed red mallard collar. It has caught several winter steelhead. The Purple Emperer is one of my favorite winger steelhead flies and I fish it from December to the end of April. Kelson's Kate is another one i like a lot for winter steelhead.

I also use several of the old strip wing classics in the summer. Silver Blue, Logie, Jockie, Alder, Bumbee, March Brown (Pryce-Tannat version) and Blue Charm tied true low-water style on the beautifully made #4, 6,and 8 Daiichi Veverka Low Water hook or #5, 7,and 9 Daiichi Alec Jackson river Dee Low-water hook (these are the same hook and identical sizes) model #2131 are very effective summer steelhead flies, including when hitched.

I've also found Kelson's Sun Fly (red version), Blue Boyne, Black Prince, Bo Peep tied on #8 and #10 hooks work in bright sun during mid-day in low water. Something about the way a topping wing looks in the water is I'm sure why these work in low water

I suspect the reason the classics are not fished by more people is the time it takes to learn and develop the tying skills to tie them well. You certainly have developed them. Very nice work.

Here is a #10 Bo Peep taken out of my fly box.

flytyer
07-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Here's a low-water Stardust.

flytyer
07-15-2004, 09:10 PM
Here's a low-water Bumbee.

Charlie
07-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Very nice, I especially like that Bo Peep, very nice looking Fly. Sean and William, you should put up some pics of yours. I’m sure everyone would be interested. As for the gear guys that Matt talks about, most of the ones in my area of the Great Lakes use the float rods with Very light line. When they get in my way and I inadvertently hook their line, one good pull with my 12-15lb. tippet and they are suddenly gearless. :eek: Boy do they hate that!

Charlie

Cascade
07-17-2004, 05:03 AM
I always enjoy asking a salmon angler what would be his choice of fly for a day, if only allowed one pattern.
The answer always amuses me, as almost each time the choice is different, and the favourite is declared.
The renowned Hugh Falkus once said that if he had to choose just one fly, it would have to be a "black one", like the stoats tail, or silver stoat.
Just this week I met Peter Anderson in the West of Ireland, (a man held in high regard on this side of the world, for a lifetime dedicated to casting and fishing), and asked him the same question. He quickly replied without hesitation, "the thunder and lightening of course, best fly in the world for salmon".
Over the course of many years, what I consider to be a cross-section of fine anglers, I have had a wide range of favourites nominated as "the one".
My conclusions are as follows, firstly there is a regional variation, and there is no doubt that certain patterns work better in particular areas, or on certain river systems. An example of this is that in all the years I have fished the River Moy the "cascade" has never failed me, and over the same time I have never landed a salmon to the "cascade" on Galway Weir, and only an hour seperates them.
Secondly, I am totally convinced that when we fish a favourite fly, we fish with a lot more confidence, and as a result fish better, hence the success rate improves.
I am well aware of plenty of exceptions to this, as quite often I have pulled something new out of the fly box and had success, or thrown every fly in the box at them, and drawn a blank.
My own personal approach consists of six flies, all tied in different sizes(6-14) to accomodate different water levels. Three shrimp, and three hairwing. In no particular order, as all have saved my day on different occasions.......
Cascade
Black and Gold
Yellow Ally
Willie Gunn
Gary Dog
Munroe Killer
If one of these doesn`t succeed, a blank is usually on the cards.
Will get them photo`s up as soon as possible.
Tight lines, whatever you`re swimming.
Peter.

flytyer
07-17-2004, 08:29 PM
Charlie,

Here's a Kelson Floodtide on a Partridge Bartleet CS10/03 Blind Eye #1/0. Yes, I fish it as it is tied on the blind-eye hook, and this one came out of one of my stock boxes. I use 15# or 20# braided mono for the eye loop. The additional action the blind eye hook provides is worth the extra time to put the braided loop on it.

Charlie
07-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Flytyer,

Very, very nice! I just got some of the Braided mono and am looking foreword to using it. I have some Gut. But most of it is old and very brittle. :confused: I think it would probably hold a fish if I soaked it, but I still don’t trust it.

Peter,

Looking foreword to seeing what you put up!

Thanks, Charlie

flytyer
07-19-2004, 03:32 PM
Charlie,

Gut is the traiditional material used for the blind eyes since that was the best available material prior to nylon monofilament, and it is OK; however, it doesn't hold up nearly as well nor is it as strong as braided mono. Also, if you fish a fly tied with a gut eye, you must soak it until the gut becomes pliable or it is brittle and highly prone to breakage.

We use nylon and polyester tying threads and synthetics dubbings on our classic salmon flies, why not use braided mono instead of twisted gut? The braided mono looks good, has a similar translecency, it easier to work with, is stronger, and holds up much better. The only thing to keep in mind if tying a fly for fishing on a blind eye hook is too make sure the gut or braided mono (some folks use 20# dacron fly line backing; but it is too soft for my tastes and acts very differentyly than gut or braided mono as a result of its softness) is lashed down at least 3/4 of the hook's shank length to eliminate the possiblity of its slipping or pulling loose when fighting a fish.

Charlie
07-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Flytyer,

I was interested in how you attach a blind eye fly to your leader. Loop to give it more action, or tight not such as a clinch? :confused:

Thanks, Charlie

flytyer
07-19-2004, 03:54 PM
Charlie,

I just use a clinch knot. The braided loop creates a flexible joint to the fly so there is no need for any other attachment.

Salar-1
07-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Charlie
I messed around with Kevlar loops on blind eye flies awhile back .Do not recall any difference in feesh catchin #'s between them and reg. hooks.
As far as using classics ? Yep ,Lady Caroline in # 2/0 to # 8's,Black Dose (original) in size 6 or 8 and , very occasionally, a modified Lady Amherst.
I've used Green Highlanders till blue in the face and they have never worked for me except for a mod. pattern using Green Mallard as a body hackle and a wing with orange deer hair with Bronze Mallard over.
Cheers
Brian

Charlie
07-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Brian,

The Kevlar sounds interesting. Never thought of using that. As for the Green Highlander next time you are on the York make sure you have one. It is a go to fly for me on that river.

Charlie

flytyer
07-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Brian,

Yep, the Kevlar works fine, although it is thicker than the 15# or 20# braided mono. Also, I am not aware of anyplace you can buy it by the spool as you can braided mono. You can get spools of Gudebrod braided mono in 10', 10yd, and 100yd spools, and Cortland braided mono in 30' and 100' spools. The braided mono spools are also cheaper than the Kevlar loops and are completely translucent, instead of having the decided yellow-tan color of the Kevlar. The braided mono is also smaller in diameter than the Kevlar loops (the Kevlar loops are comprised of braided mono with Kevlar added to the braid), which helps keep the fly's body and head from getting overly large. This is why I use braided mono.

Cascade
07-22-2004, 05:22 AM
Eventually ! Here are the 6 flies that always seem to do the trick for me.
Cascade
Yellow Ally
Black and Gold
Willie Gunn
Gary Dog
Munroe Killer

Cascade
07-22-2004, 05:23 AM
Here`s the last one.

Salar-1
07-22-2004, 07:01 AM
Flytyer
The Kevlar i used was NOT the flytying crap it was a SPOOLED (25 yds)tippet material called Duramax, made in Germany by Climax. The 30 # stuff was announced as 00X but miked out thinner, actually ,'cause it flattened out.
I tried it because it was EXTREMELY limp and flattened out to almost nuthin' when tyed onto a fly body.
Cheers
Brian

flytyer
07-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Salar-1,

OK. Duramax is sure limp stuff, and very strong to boot. The reaon I don't use dacron backing or Duramax for blind eye loops is they are way to limp and flexible, which allows the loop to turn completely sideways when fighting a fish. This can put most of the strain of the fish pulling sideways against the thread holding the loop in place and this can ruin the fly by distorting the head/wing area or have the loop shear the thread wraps that are holding the loop in place at the head. The stiffer braided mono helps to prevent either of these.

Charlie
07-27-2004, 08:42 AM
Peter,

Very nice flies. :cool:

Charlie

Cascade
10-05-2004, 08:52 AM
Have had a few pm`s for the receipe/pattern for the cascade, my favourite salmon shrimp fly.
In case anyone else would like it......... tie it, try it, and hold on tight !

Thread: Black
Tail: Mix of orange and yellow bucktail with a few strands of Krystalflash.
Body: Rear half: Holographic gold/silver flat tinsel.
Front half: Black floss.
Rib: Oval silver or gold.
Wing: Black artic fox or squirrel tail.
Hackle: Fully wound yellow and orange hackles.

Tight lines.
Peter.