Quiting Smoking [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Quiting Smoking

striblue
07-12-2004, 04:10 PM
I started the nicorette gum early this morning and it's now 5 PM EST...without a smoke...I hope when I stop the nicorette, I am there...... bTW...right now I want to know if anybody wants to Fight. :Eyecrazy:

Adrian
07-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Great stuff John!

It took me two attempts with the wacky gum but it will be three years in November and this time it feels permanent!

Beware of all nicotine temptations. Give the Havanas away - or put them on eBay :lildevl: It was late nights, single malt and Monte Christos that got me back into the habit last time. You'll be sprinting to the end of South beach in double quick time and the South Monomoy deathmarch will hold no fears for you now :smokin: (poor chocie of smiley I guess :lildevl: )

loophitech
07-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Hey Stri,

keep at it brother. It is now seven months for me and about a dozen times trying to quit. I used zyban which really helped quell the cravings when I was tapering off the cig's. Good luck!!

LoopHiTech

Skilly
07-12-2004, 05:14 PM
John

I quit the 5th of January and still have panic attacks wanting a smoke. One of my sons quit 10 years ago and says he still wants to smoke.

I used the patch for 2 weeks then cold turkey. I dont think anything makes quitting easy. One thing does help----- $150.00------ a month in my pocket. That always helps. Just go to the fly shop when you think you cant stand it any longer. You will now have more money to spend there.

Oh I smoked for 50 stupid years.

Skilly

striblue
07-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Thanks Guys...I have quit before and restarted.... I afraid i will have to put the cigars away too, since that was what basically started me nback on th e smokes... I will ge thouught today...tomorrow I will start coughing up flem from the lungs that was the protective coving which built up from smocking... when the coughing is done... by week end...I will have done .... Anybody want to buy some incredible cuban and other cigars.

FredA
07-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Ah yes. Quiting smoking, I'm good at this as I've done it a few times. I'd suggest aan Rx for Zyban or Wellbruten, a mild anti-depressant. Start a week before you quit, augment with the gum if you need it. I was told a couple of years ago when I was about to quit, and I thought fly tying might keep me occupied, that it (fly tying) would have the opposite effect.

I had my last butt right after the Super Bowl. Chain smoked and sucked beers through the first half. Had 3 butts left at half time and decided to save them to go with my victory 3 fingers of Doublewood after the game. Did good until the spring clave. I was down the house in Dennis by myself and had the better part of a box of stale Macanudo's I'd won at a CCA banquet a year and a half ago, so I said, "what the heck". I knew it was a mistake (as I said, I'm experienced with this quitting stuff). But I will not have a cigarette. I'll drop the cigars shortly, but it's like starting over again.

Bottom line is:
if you want to continue bein the Iron Man, quit

cigars aren't an option for the long term smoker

if it doesn't work out this time keep trying - get the Rx for the happy pills

hide the woman and children and don't kick the dog
Good Luck!

PS, So what do you want for the Cubanos

Penguin
07-12-2004, 07:28 PM
It was long ago but...
Having worked at the Strong Memorial Psych ward in Rochester, and a certain Agency in the Middle East, I'm familiar with
Electro Convulsive Shock Therapy... :Eyecrazy:
I could probably put together a working unit in a few daze...
Forget ANYTHING with the thoughtful application of enough joules!
Let me know if you want any "help"... :whoa:

Let's go fishin'!

Moose
07-12-2004, 07:29 PM
I quit cold turkey upon realizing one day that I was paying a hell of a lot of money for something that tastes like s**t!!

Jamey McLeod
07-12-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm working on 6 weeks, after 15yrs. Woke up one morning and said "I'm done". A bit of Skoal here and there gets me through. I tried the gum, but thought my teeth were going to fall out I was chewing so much. Its nice to be able to walk up the hill at my favorite access and not get winded, hell, sometimes I jog up it, just to show myself I can. Teeth are also starting to whiten up. Even my finger nails are groing back from the bloody stumps I chewed them to the first week.

Stick with it brother, its the best thing you can do for yourself. And, with the $$$ you save you could buy a new stick by fall.

Jamey

juro
07-12-2004, 08:24 PM
When you hug your children or wife, you can feel proud. The morning air... never smelled so good on the beach. Hmmm.... was that a remnant of new car smell in your car? When you walk the backside, you will feel a spring in the step after the fourth mile. Most of all, you won't leave people behind in the event of serious illness, which is almost inevitable. People who love you, and whom you love that you won't want to leave behind. You can't get those years back once they're gone so the only sensible approach is to prevent the harm in the first place by doing exactly what you're doing!

I stopped the cigars and that was the key :cool:

Of course my collection was paltry compared to yours! :chuckle:

loophitech
07-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Juro,

Your words brought tears to my eyes bro. Everytime I crave a cigarette I look at my 3 month old and the craving dissappears. Next to quitting for yourself, family is the next best reason. :smokin: BAD! Fish on, GOOD!!!

Vinnie

Big K1
07-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Stick with it John!

It has been 3 years 2 months and 7 days since I quit. I still crave one every once in awhile. I would avoid all forms of smoking. I sometimes think I could just have one. One would turn right back into 20-30. I quit the day I found out my wife was pregnant. I will never smoke again.

Kevin

FlyFishMich
07-12-2004, 09:45 PM
I am smoking them while I've got 'em :smokin: ....JULY 16th is D-day...set a date a couple of weeks ago when.....allergies + sinusitis=bronchitis...plus MI just went up $0.75. Have gum and ready to go! :hihi:

Good luck on your adventure...Man, its going to be tough when I am standing around, swatting mosquitos, waiting for the hexes to fall. :(

To all my East Coast brothers of the long rod, will make my Rhode Island appearance around the 3rd of October...see you all at Weekapaug and someone do me a favor and make sure there are a few albies around. May try the two-hander this year...have plenty of backing on my spey reel. :eek:

rooster
07-13-2004, 01:12 AM
Hey John,
Good luck, I'm on your side. Hate to tell you this but, you need to deep 6 the stogies too.....,(at least for a year)
Quiting the cigs was the 2nd easiest thing I ever did ..., (and I did it SEVERAL times)..., Picking them back up again was the #1 easiest thing I ever did!!! I quit the smokes the first time in '84, everytime I picked 'em up again was after I grabbed a good stogie. After better than 15 years without a cig, I can finally light up a good cigar and not feel like I need to buy a pack of butts or bum from my buddies.
Stay the course.
I need for you to hang around 'til we're both in our 70s, so we can still fish and really spend some time together. I still have alot to learn from you!!! And at the current pace I won't have enough free time to spend with my feet in the salt, until I'm 70!!
Just say NO and tie another fly.
I'm with you (in spirit)!
All the best,
DK
NOT :smokin:

old man
07-13-2004, 01:54 AM
Quit 13 years ago. Cold turkey. Was pure hell but I got thru it. But there is only one draw back on quitting smoking. Food now starts to taste better and you will probably eat more so then you have to go on a diet just to lose all the weight that you put on from not smoking any more. And you will find out that it goes on a lot easier than coming off. The weight that is. Plus after a while all cigarettes stink.

Nothing worse that a ex-smoker.

Jim

juro
07-13-2004, 05:41 AM
Rooster makes a great point... there are without a doubt some UNBELIEVABLE changes coming to our home waters from mother nature that we will need to experience. Big girl was insane in 2000-2001. Remember the meccca in it's prime? And the first Rip Trip you and I instigated together? Well there are perhaps dozens of these left in our lifetimes and we also have the responsibility to pass the torch to the next generation of flyfishers. When I started the flyfishing forum one of the most important reasons was to ensure the next generation of anglers in our society. If we kick off, they'll all troll umbrella rigs :lildevl:

Oh yeah... the CAC! Don't forget there is some available real estate in South Chatham on 28 near the Harwich line that is perfect for the anglers club.... traditional small cut square windows, lofted ceilings and a large parking lot (but no cigars). ;)

... so many things still ahead, we all need to be there.

Dble Haul
07-13-2004, 08:01 AM
To those of you quitting the habit- Best of luck, and know that we are here for you. If you need to vent, you know where to find us.

To those of you who have quit- Congratulations, and keep up the good work.

Chris
07-13-2004, 08:58 AM
...more self riteous than a reformed smoker. ( except maybe a reformed drinker)Take it from me. I've quit several times and look at them as practice for this time. Once for three years!! This time feels for real. It's a hard thing to reconcile when your boy has had cancer.

I have been cold turkey for a month this time and you have all the immoral support I can give. I had to drop the cigars too. I kept finding myself backsliding into the butts because it was too easy to step back into the old habits from the stogies.

And then there's the fishing. That seems to be when I miss it most. Hang in there bud we're all behind you.

OC
07-13-2004, 09:08 AM
Good luck John and all those who want to quit.

It really sucks to be a slave to the smoke. I started innocently enough as part of a paitence game sneaking up on feeding trout on the Henery's Fork. There were one smoke fish all the way to 4 smoke fish. A 4 smoke fish was a spooky fish to make a cast too believe me and a pack of smokes was gone in no time at all. Well twenty years latter I'm still smoking and a have become one of those nasty, dirty smokers who hides behind buildings, makes excuses to go do an errand and always has two bottles of mouth wash and 3 packs of gum. My new girl friend, love of my life is a doctor and has caught me smoking a couple of times and has let me know it does not make her happy. Her 11 year old son caught me one day at the boat having a butt with a fellow boatman. He was shocked and couldn't believe it as I was the first person he knew who smoked.

So today I started the Zyban, cut down to 20 oz of coffee a day, and started identifying my smoke habits like lighting up on the way to work with that first cup of coffee. I have 3 weeks before girlfriend and son get back from their trip to the Amazon jungle and I want to be free of smoke and free of guilt.

John and anyone else quiting lets keep this thread going and see if we can help each other get over the hump. I will miss the enjoyment of fishing and smoking but that would be a small price to pay for good health and freedom.

juro
07-13-2004, 09:40 AM
One thing to keep in mind is the list of carcinogens and caustic chemicals that are contained in the smoke and residual subtances that come into your mouth, throat, trachea and lungs.

Here's a list of 4000 chemicals that occur in cigarette smoke. (http://quitsmoking.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ashline.org%2Fas h%2Fcigsmoke%2Findex.html)

If someone took a vial of the carcinogenic sludge you would get from a couple of cigars or a pack of marlboros and offered it to you to drink, you would tell him to go to hell. Yet an addicted smoker injests that daily, voluntarily. Now in a year you might need to drink a quart of these chemicals, 5 years... 10 years..... not much chance of avoiding cancer there.

Tobacco companies are really the devil in disguise if you think about it. Killing for profit, addicting children to drugs, driving our medical costs up, and robbing families of their loved ones. Supporting them by joining their club should piss off anyone with an independent mind. The bastards!

striblue
07-13-2004, 09:42 AM
These are all great stories and I am glad my original post has prompted such a responce.... Day 2 today and I feel better...woke this morning and grabbed the gum...had coffee and hour later and it's now 10:45 and no problem...except I almost chewed my wife's head off this morning because she asked me the same question twice.... I am really jumpy...I don't intend to give you boring play-by-play... but beleive it or not at 10:45 on day 2...I KNOW I can do this.

Moonlight
07-13-2004, 09:50 AM
When my wife and I returned to Sitka from her Fathers untimely funeral ( Lung Cancer 2 packs a day). She told me that I had to make a choice I could either quit smoking or I could pick up all of my possesions from the front yard when I got back from my next fishing trip! Cold turkey worked for me.
However from time to time I find myself in a late night social situation where somebody has cigarettes and it just seems so natural to be puffing away on one.Hey Marlow you got an extra one of those? The odd thing is I seem to be able to not have the slightest urge to start in smoking the next day.(could it be a mild hangover) I wouldn't recomend this option to anybody else most folks just need one too fall of the wagon for years at a time.
OC I really wish you Good Luck in this endeavor I was wondering about this very subject the first time you told me about your new Friend. PK threw his pipe off the H River bridge on our way back from our last campout. Pretty soon no more temptations. :D

dewey
07-13-2004, 10:54 AM
I used to always smoke butts as a way of waiting and observing while fishing. And of course I smoked all the time too.
I used the gum to taper down.
Now I carry sunflower seeds when I am fishing and just chew a mouthful of those instead of having a smoke when waiting for the fish to go on the feed or whatever. It's good to have an alternative habit.
good luck.

Adrian
07-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Wierdest thing that happened to me after I quit was the dreams :Eyecrazy:

I had a series of dreams where I was smoking and felt really bad about it. All part of the adjustment process I guess.

old man
07-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Lemon drops are good also. If you feel like a smoke just pop one of them in your mouth. Be sure to get the sugar free ones :chuckle:

Jim

DFix
07-13-2004, 12:12 PM
"...except I almost chewed my wife's head off this morning because she asked me the same question twice...."

I'm surprised she didn't use that broomstick we talked about yesterday! :eek: - Hey- I offered to come uptown and let you try your best!!! :chuckle: :devil:

I quit once back in the late Seventies- no need to relate why I started again. Good Luck to you who are 'having at it'- I still think of doing myself the same favor, and that's about as far as it gets- thinking about it (after over forty years).

striblue
07-13-2004, 12:30 PM
Dave.... anytime... just get to me this week while I am still pissed off... and real grumpy...meet me out at Coply Place at any time so I can kick your arse all over the place. :hihi: :wink:

DFix
07-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Funny, but I remember saying "...skewer you like a piece of Teriyaki beef...." - even with a bum arm, I'd make you look like a victim of Dracula's revenge! :devil:

Doublespey
07-13-2004, 05:19 PM
I was trying to quit and would bum Juro's Carlton 100s or Merit Ultras (like sucking on a burning straw) when we'd be out chasing steelhead and salmon in his ol' stomping grounds. I remember more than one occasion when he politely mumbled something about me buying a pack :hihi: as we were hoofing it to the river.

I'd smoked since I was 12 or 13, quit once for about a year and backslid when I tried to only smoke during outdoor outings. One trip where there was about 1/2 pack left that I took home and that was enuf.

The hardest thing for me was getting used to enjoying fishing and golfing w/o nicotine supplementation. So many rituals were involved - lighting up as the sun was coming up and I stepped into the head of a fine steelhead run in summer, sharing a smoke and drink with friends after landing a nice fish, and lighting up while waiting for the group in front to clear the green. Once I was able to fish with Juro and not feel the urge to bum a Carlton, I knew I was well on my way! :lildevl:

It's been over 4 years since I quit and I don't miss it a bit. Quitting was hell, and part of what keeps me away is the fear of having to go thru that again. My system was seriously addicted to nicotine. :Eyecrazy:

Juro's right - the rivers and surf smell way better. Food too. And I have much better stamina for a long day of fishing than before when I was running on the nicotine high.

So don't give up! Just because it seems you'll never enjoy fishing as much, that nothing would taste as good as a cigarette after that long morning on the flats or after that cold beer, just remember IT ALL CHANGES after your system overcomes the addiction to nicotine.

Suddenly, you'll understand what all those Holier than Thou former smokers are talking about! Almost overnite, what had tasted so wonderful suddenly becomes the foulest stinking stench imaginable. In fact, you can hardly believe you ever put one of those things in your mouth. And believe me, when that day arrives you'll Celebrate. :)

Good thread - and good luck to OC, Juro, Striblue and others kicking the habit!

DS

juro
07-13-2004, 05:38 PM
DS -

I was successful at keeping it an outdoor event activity, in fact I have never smoked in front of my kids their entire life (one just graduated college) or my wife since the first was born. Quit for almost 3 years, started again while fishing, etc. We all know the drill. The Carltons were my risk reduction method while fishing, but your hand-rolled filterless Buglers (tobacco joints that you smoked) didn't help my efforts to cut them out either - it was reciprocal my friend. I fell back into it quite a few times when I had quit at the hands of your little nico-spleefs. ;)

I cut them all out of my fishing trips, then would get a few cigars to take their place and ended up sliding a pack back into my chest pack for convenience. Cigars are not the answer, they re-introduce the poison back into the brain (dopamine) and you end up going for the more convenient fix later.

Once I killed the stogie action and let my body flush I am feeling no urge except for a ping every now and then while fishing. Frankly I am disgusted with my weakness and the pride alone keeps me going.

I joined a club and work out, eat better (although more) and feel GREAT. I give my wife and kids a hug when I get back from fishing cause I have no shame. They still say "ew" but it's the beard stubble not the smell of weakness :lildevl:

Skilly
07-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Now that I can smell again I wonder how my wife put up with the way I smelled, Stank, stunk and all the other -------- words to describe the oder.

Today going into the grocery store I walked by a guy just putting one out. The stench was revolting, I cant believe I could never smell it when I was smoking.

And I still crave one, god what a terrible habit it is . I have made it over 6 months now and I will not go back to them. I hope I hope I hope. :mad:

Skilly

striblue
07-14-2004, 06:36 AM
OK...48 hours over,,,, starting day 3 and quit the gum..... no major cravings this morning while having coffee..... I will be there guys certainly by friday... and I know I will dream about it and always think about it....but I am feeling better already..... I like this feeling better.

juro
07-14-2004, 07:22 AM
Just had some cheerios with a fresh banana sliced on it with some orange juice, a multi-vitamin and some beta-carotene for the skin and sight fishing eyes - two things a flats rat needs in tip top shape for the long run. In my master plan throughout my golden years I want to "own" Monomoy as an old crusty weathered fulltime flats guide (along with all you guys of course ;)) with trips to the Bahamian Archipelago with my wife to escape the bitter winter; pacific northwest steelheading with spey rods in between - so the actions I take now will keep me in the game as long as possible.

Flats acumen involves health, so does hiking away from the jet sleds through the old growth forest trails and being sharp as an osprey on the marl and mangroves in the tropical sun for grey ghostly bones. Every non-fishing minute in retirement will be spent celebrating my beloved family, and every non-family moment will be spent on my beloved waters.

So my life is just going to be too damn good to accelerate the ending, the "C" word, emphysema, cardiac arrest, stroke, all of the other things smoking causes every day to thousands of people around the world. It could happen anyway, but I just can't live with it being my own fault.

OC
07-14-2004, 08:43 AM
Way to go John, you are doing great but be careful of the next couple of days from what I hear. Just when your begining to feel a little better those evil cravings secretly build up some type of offensive within your nervous system and come at you full bore.

Those are great possitive words and outlook Juro, thanks. Like you I want a good future too. Sailing around the world or Pacific, fishing unknown flats and ones I fished 35 years ago probably still untouched and surfing smallish isolated rights all in some sort of good mental and physical health. Looking forward to seeing what life is all about without smoke.

Let's all keep going.

Greg Pavlov
07-14-2004, 05:01 PM
One of my sons quit 10 years ago and says he still wants to smoke.
Skilly
I quit seven years ago, one of the hardest things I've ever done, and every once in a blue moon I still get an urge. It's pretty easy to ward it off, tho, all I have to do is think about what it took to stop.

In the first 18 months after I quit I would every once in a while get a very very strong urge for a cigarette, seemingly out of the blue. I realized after a while that they tended to happen when I was in a situation that I hadn't been in since I quit, or had only been in once or twice since I quit: it was the old habit coming back, with the addiction making it more intense. Realizing that made it easier for me to deal with those situations.

craig
07-14-2004, 05:42 PM
I just saw this post. Way to go John, keep it going. I quit 23 years ago and know a little about what you are going through. All's I can say is you can do it!

boxmaker
07-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Hang in there I smoked 3 packs a day when i quit i would wake up with chest pains been 7 years now still get that occasional craving good luck. Mark tmarstudios.com ps it was worth it i will live to see my kids grow up

Adrian
07-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Great stuff John.

Just make sure to keep the gum handy for the next three months! The last thing you want is to be stuck somewhere with the only relief from a severe craving being someone with a pack of butts :wink:

OC
07-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Well into day 2 and doing fine. The cravings are often but short lived. Definately can feel the nervous system screaming for smoke. Feels like what I imagine being cooked in a microwave at lowest setting. Also feels like I want to go out and run hard for 10 miles, I imagine myself runing everytime the cravings get bad. Funny thing is you feel like you have a hundred times more energy too.

Weekend will be interesting, must be careful about drinking. Anyone hear how John is doing?

FlyFishMich
07-16-2004, 03:26 PM
OC,
Congrats on 2 days! :) , I am 6 hours and counting in hell :Eyecrazy: ....did a test run last night (fished without smoking, and just gum) and it went alright. Actually, my lighter took a sh*t just as I was trying to light up on the way out of the boat launch. Finished my LAST (and final) PACK this morning. It seems that the most important thing is to remain occupied.

striblue
07-16-2004, 04:26 PM
OK..started Monday Morning and it is now Friday afternoon and I am still on track... Have been feeling and sleeping better...up early and feel like a kid again.... I am liking this

Adrian
07-16-2004, 04:50 PM
Great going John! First you count the hours, then the days, then the weeks and before you know it, its been how long?.... :D

craig
07-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Nice to hear you are still hanging in there. Keep up the good fight! Congrats!

North Island
07-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Good on you!

It's much better on this side

Padlock the fridge . . . N I

Maxg
07-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Here is a little story. Some years ago I smoked until one day I had a dose of the flu, and I was at work 149 miles north east of Alice Springs in Aust. I had to go over the road from the Office to the control building, I worked on the Jindalee Over the Horizon Radar at the time, and I set out to cross the road. Never made it. I more or less collapsed at the entry door. So I just sat there on the step for a half hour and finally got enough puff to go back whence I came. There I got my cigarette packet, I smoked a pack a day, and chucked it into the trash bin. My mate said, "you giving up smoking" I said, "bloody right". he said "can I have them" I said "they are killing me, I'm not going to add to your woes" and I retrieved the packet and crinched it up to cigarette powder and threw it back in there. Haven't smoked since then. Have crook lungs, like 80% of same and didn't have one funny feeling. I suggest you sit down and tell yourself, "Today is a new day in my life, I am reborn, cigarettes are killing me slowly and I really do not want to die. Bugger cigarettes". If you get your head far enough into this "I want to live. Bugger tobacco" thing you might find that withdrawel is a myth. Cheers Max the unsmoker.

FishHawk
07-17-2004, 07:10 AM
Keep it up Iron Man. Take it from me lung diease is no fun . I have asthma can not imagine what the other lung dieases are like. When you can't breathe it tough .
FishHawk.

Maxg
07-18-2004, 01:16 AM
Ring on brother, added to cardiac problems the lung issue is a disaster although I blame myself mostly because I don't exercise as much as I should. Mind you its cold now and winter so i prefer the warm places. Max

Chris
07-19-2004, 09:33 AM
It's been about a month for me now and a couple of things I really notice are that the wheezing and whistling in the bronchi when I lay down to bed are gone. I also can smell someone smoking a butt on the sidewalk or in traffic in a car in front of me from my car as I drive and how nasty I find it to be.
:cool:

striblue
07-19-2004, 09:48 AM
It's been One week this morning and I am feeling really great.... lungs feel great, sleeping better...up earlier...food better.... OK...NOW WHO ELSE WANTS TO QUIT?????????????????????????? If so sign up here and we will bug you to death...but give suggestions as well.....WHO'S NEXT?

OC
07-19-2004, 10:04 AM
Sounds like we are all getting there. I think I'm on day 5 now and I'm proud I made it through the weekend. It was tough taking the sloop out of the harbor without a but lit. Seems like the habit is just that habit. I keep reaching for a smoke in certain situations where I've always had a smoke before and it's got nothing to do with a nicotine craving just habit. Some of those situations are tougher than others and I've been surprised that fishing and not smoking was not all that tough, same with morning coffee and a butt. The boat was tough though, hanging out at anchor on a nice evening with a gin & tonic and no cig drove me crazy but I did it and woke up next morning feeling good about it.

The craving was really bad on night two and three but it's leaving the body now and I hope in a few more days I will have none of that strange withdrawl feeling. Over the last 4 days I completed more projects than I've completed in 3 months. Not sure it all this extra, healthy energy or just a ton nerves being twisted in a million different directions as the nicotine leaves the body. But what I like most so far is I come home from work and don't take an hour nap on the couch, I'm not tired any more.

You all keep it up, we are beating it so far but think we got a lot more time ahead of us to really whip it.

juro
07-19-2004, 10:24 AM
As I understand it, the addiction comes from the way the neurotransmitter dopamine is generated, processed and sustained in the brain by tobacco use.

Dopamine is a "joy" chemical in the brain that is similar to adrenaline, the body uses it to control reactions. When it is used by the body in a normal way it's associated with happiness and well being. When it's induced chemically, the wires get crossed in the brain and addiction occurs.

It's like adrenaline, but where adrenaline prepares the body for some physical protection or exertion, for example when a person is threatened, dopamine is released and lights up receptors to tell the brain that whatever you are doing is something good to do again, like having fun, or sex, any satisfying behavoir... probably fishing. It's also artificially released by drugs like nicotine, cocaine, acid, etc. If I were to guess that's probably where the term "dope" comes from. Anyway, when it's made or preserved or blocked or sensitized by chemicals (drugs) then things get all screwed up in the natural way we are supposed to assign this "wanting" feeling.

Getting rid of a wanting for a mankind's most preventable cause of death is a good thing, and keeps that precious reaction in the brain reserved for much better things... (see list above) :lildevl:

striblue
07-19-2004, 10:44 AM
Don't know much about that Juro...I do know, however, what I saw at the light house the other morning with you....Skating buy me...like a vision from the Miami portion of 'South beach"...."wait for me....I can learn to roller blade too!"

Striperknight
07-19-2004, 01:18 PM
John,

keep it up. I tried to get my dad to quit my whole life and he could not do it.
Lung cancer took him eventually.

- - - - -Striperknight

FlyFishMich
07-19-2004, 02:10 PM
In my third day, thanks to 3mg orange flavored Nicorette gum. Have gone fishing, golfing, and drank beer over the weekend with the cravings going away slowly.

I did have a funny incident this morning, though. Was out trolling for salmon in Lake Michigan and took a big slug of my drink and ended up swallowing whole a brand new piece of gum. :Eyecrazy: I don't recommend it swallowing the gum on an empty stomach...still feeling the effects of it.

Thanks for continuing support!

TinMan
07-19-2004, 05:17 PM
Former pack-a-day (on a light day of course) guy back in college and then several years after. One day I had a coughing spasm and that night had no cigs and bummed Newports off a friend. Smoked to many of those and got nauseas - literally. Next few years I quit... still quit. The thought of smoking now makes me nauseas. Call it psycho-babble, but that Skinnerarian tactic sure worked for me (and I wasn't even trying)!

Quentin
07-19-2004, 08:09 PM
Former pack-a-day (on a light day of course) guy back in college and then several years after. One day I had a coughing spasm and that night had no cigs and bummed Newports off a friend. Smoked to many of those and got nauseas - literally. Next few years I quit... still quit. The thought of smoking now makes me nauseas. Call it psycho-babble, but that Skinnerarian tactic sure worked for me (and I wasn't even trying)!

That brings back some rather unpleasant memories! I had a similar experience when I tried smoking when I was a young teenager. I had just progressed beyond the puffing but not inhaling stage and discovered that I would get a little buzz by inhaling. Well, I got hold of a pack of Winchesters and "power smoked" two in a row to try to catch a good buzz. A few minutes later I was hugging the toilet puking my guts out. During each of the first few heaves, a puff of smoke came out (along with my other stomach contents), which made me gag that much harder :eek: . I never smoked cigarettes again after that.

Keep it up guys -- this is one situation where quitters WIN!

Q

FlyFishMich
07-21-2004, 10:18 PM
To my fellow "recent quitters"...keep it up! :cool: Day 5 has come and gone, as has my first day back to the office without a smoke. Surprisingly, chewed only 5 pieces of the 2mg gum today :) AND didn't swallow any :chuckle: Found that sunflower seeds are a good way to occupy the mouth while driving long distances, as well.

FlyFishMich
07-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Striblue & OC...how is it going...I past the one week mark today at 11:19am...feels good even though my sinuses are still screwed up from years of smoking. Feel like I can do it! I hope you can as well. Send me a PM if you need some support along the way! :)

Hawkeye
07-26-2004, 12:39 PM
My last dip was 7-23 in the early am. Day 3 plus and the temper is short but under control, the cravings are pretty bad but I'm in control. I'm happy with the $28 I have saved already - chew is much more expensive than cigs by the pack though the nicotine content is about 4x cigarettes on a pack to tin comparison I'm told. According to that ratio I was the equivalent of a 4 pack a day smoker.

juro
07-26-2004, 12:48 PM
Gregg -

They say nicotine flushes out in just a few days, so hang in there and you'll only have the mental dragon to slay. Being as you are kind of the knight in armour type (helping with your mom's business, haven't missed a Big Brother day, always lending a hand) it shouldn't be hard for you to slay that beast.

Especially with that fair maiden and the young ones depending on your fancy swordwork.

Godspeed, my friend.

Lefty
07-26-2004, 01:44 PM
As with any habit/addiction, the real test is staying stopped as many alluded to. The test will come months, or a year from now. It will be a Marlboro moment. Just getting in from a day on the water, in camp, having coffee or some other smooth beverage, kicking back by the smokey fire bla bla bla. And then everyone but you lites up smoke. That's when you are most vulnerable. After the one slip, what the hell, you buy a pack. You need to be fortified for those moments. They are tough. I'm weak. I really can't smoke much, so I know a couple while I'm fishing won't open a return to full time smoking. It hasn't for many years. But that is both a blessing and a curse. (I owe Grego and Sully a carton each)
Good work John. If you slip, get right back to quitting.

Lefty

OC
07-26-2004, 03:07 PM
FlyFishMich,

Don't even remember what day it is now but what at least 10 or 12 days. Most days recently have been good but the first 675 mile road trip for work was hell on wheels. Worked 16 hours on the boat on Saturday and had people smoking all around me and made it out alive. The Saturday before was interesting as there was a B-DAY cookout at the marina with mucho Margarittas I think I had at least 15 throughtout the day and evening along with plenty of food did not want a smoke. But there are many moments where I get the wanting. Will keep fighting maybe for the rest of my life. Think I may take some Yoga classes to help change body type and man made stress.

Thanks for all the good words from everyone it really helped to do it here on Flytalk. Hope you all are making it without too much trouble.

Maxg
07-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Just think how that nicotine is buggering up your life and actually killing you. Then you will find it easier to withstand the little crawly feelings. Actually the last smoke or chew you had was when it really killed you. Now you have been reborn to another life, less smoke smells, better health and freedom to look at another huge slice of living. Be strong, dilligent and resistant and you will get there. Max

Doc Duprey
07-27-2004, 09:57 PM
John,

Dunno how I missed this...Great News! Hang in there, my friend. It is tough but you can do it. Besides, I REALLY don't want you to be a subject in one of my clinical trials.

See you soon...you don't smoke and I won't eat. :D

Best regards,

--Doc

FlyFishMich
07-27-2004, 10:59 PM
OC,

I am assuming you quit "cold turkey"? I have found "the gum" quite helpful and have been able to cut back on it already, less than two weeks into the program. I have also been trying to substitute the "unleaded" variety in between pieces of "high octane". Sunflower seeds are helpful as well but its too bad that they put so much salt on them :razz:

Even when I have "kicked" the gum, I may keep some around for a while, just in case the temptation ever got to the point that I was going to grab a smoke again....then it would be...OPEN MOUTH, INSERT GUM! :chuckle: :chuckle:

As my father, who quit a year ago, says...."an ex-smoker is always only one cigarette away from smoking a pack a day".

Keep up the good work!

juro
07-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Everyone still on track? Ahhh life is good.

Adrian
07-30-2004, 03:51 PM
Good tip on keeping the gum handy - saved my bacon on more than one occaision. I found that a few weeks after quitting my sense of tatse started to return and the gum started to taste really strong. I still kept to a schedule of at least one piece in place of my daily ritual smokes (first thing, after meals etc.) but was pretty much off the stuff within the three months. Coming up to three years for me!

striblue
07-30-2004, 05:29 PM
FYI...I am THERE now...no gum...no smoking and I don't have any urge...

Hawkeye
07-30-2004, 07:48 PM
It's been just a hair over one week for me and the only part that has been pure hell is the last 7 days. I'm just eating a lot - gained 2 pounds so far. Cold turkey for me. The gum is too much like chew and the patches do nothing for me. I've quit three other times for at least 6 months each time. The first and third were really pretty easy while the second and this time were just aweful.

juro
07-30-2004, 08:04 PM
Well Gregg, this is the one that counts. Life's too short to be addicted.

Skilly
07-30-2004, 11:02 PM
Greg

Dont feel alone, its been a hell of a time for me to. I smoked my last butt the 5th of January this year. After 50+ years of smoking, oh and I chewed some along the way.

I have had to fight every day not to have another cigarette. I know I am only 1 cigarette away from being a pack a day smoker again. I have gained weight, so that puts my blood sugars up. Oh did I say I am diabetic ? So I exercise more to help drive the blood sugars down then I am hungry as hell. Then I eat more and exercise more, hell, this aint no fun, no way, but its gotta be done. So I keep plugging along trying to find ways to keep my mind occupied.

I have even tied several Dee flies that I probably will never fish, now I will have to make some damn plaque to put them on. At least not spending $4.50 a day on smokes gives me enough money to buy the stuff to tie the Dee flies I will never use. I would tie some hair wings to fish with ,but I already have 4 fly boxes full. :Eyecrazy:

I have also been trying all the Spey rods I can get my hands on. CNDs from the Redshed. Several rods from Bob Meiser. Now I`m down to wearing out my friends rods. Juro need some rods tested ??? Just send me a stack I`ll wave um around till the finish is worn off. Its all this energy I have coursing through these old veins.Be glad when the Steelhead start tugging on some of these rods. :smokin: :smokin:

Skilly

FlyFishMich
07-30-2004, 11:21 PM
2 weeks at 11:16am this morning!!! :D Even the urge for the gum is not as strong as it was at the beginning, unless I get into the tasty adult beverages :hihi: Averaging about 5 pieces of the 2mg gum a day but usually don't put a piece in until after lunch. I will probably reduce or cut the gum out entirely a lot sooner than the "plan" calls for but still feel it is a significantly safer alternative to smoking until I can eliminate it. So I haven't entirely "cut the cord" but am going to take things slowly, as this is the first time, EVER, that I have tried to quit my 13 year, one-two pack a day habit/addiction. Glad to see that everyone else is following the program as well.

Will be out in Rhody the first week in October (10/4-10/8), chasing albies, blues, and stripers near Weekapaug...would love the "hook up" with anyone else that may be out there at the same time? Let me know!

Thanks again for the support and keep up the good work! :)

OC
08-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Some days are better than others. Saturday night on a blue moon pulled anchor at 10:30 PM to make a 20 mile down wind run back to marina. Had sailed all day except for a 4 hour anchorage. Should have grabed some sleep but did not. Girl friend and her son fell asleep by 11:30 PM so I did it all alone. By 1:30 AM I was getting real groggy, made a pot of coffee but that didn't help. All I could think of was smoking butts to help stay awake and aware. It was a beautiful night as the coast was lit in warm summer moon light and I didn't have to be on guard as one has to be on nights without a moon. But all I could think of about every 2 minutes was smoking a cig as I have always done. Seems like they were always part of the watch when at the helm, sort of put me in some type of zen awareness of everything that is going on around me, rips, tides, reefs and surfacing subs in the dark. Needless to say and lucky for me I have no butts on board so I made it through the night but it was not enjoyable at all. Got back to the marina at 0415 and and headed up to the club house to wash up and found a big chocalate cake in the marina fridge with a note, help yourself. I had two huge chunks as I couldn't find something to cut it with. I'm sure whoever owned that cake got a hell of a surprise later that morning. But I made it not because of my strength but because there were no stores where I was to buy some smokes. Will have to prepare differtently for next night trip but not sure how. I just can't do the gum or patch thing as I will head right back to the butts if I do. Read recently that men have a better chance and an easier go of it with hypnotism than women, maybe I should try that.

juro
08-02-2004, 12:33 PM
The fact is the decision is more than just indulgence and wishing on a moonlit cruise - it's a life-altering choice.

Last time I went to a hospital there were patients with tubes up their noses who's faraway eyes spoke volumes. I knew that their idea of freedom was simply breathing without machines and O2 tanks. Grey skin, tar-stained teeth, taken by an evil tobacco addition to their sad life condition. I'd like to set my sights a little higher at their age, like perhaps hike into hanging gardens in my 70's to skate up a gorge running steelhead in June, or take a grandchild to the far corner of the flats on my shoulders just to see the big stripers cruising on Monomoy. Freedom is health, happiness, friends and family not struggling for the next breath.

You are lucky you got over this hump OC, smooth sailing ahead.

Moonlight
08-02-2004, 08:03 PM
I made it a habit of not hireing smokers to work on my boat for that very reason. After hauling gear non stop for 36 hours the skippers job is usually to drive the bus back to town while the lads rest up for the unloading chores. More than once I was sneaking around looking for butts in there personal gear while they slept!
Juro is right but under certain circumstances its just plain hard.
One of my deckhands was a very bright young fellow with a good grasp of how tobacco worked on the brain, under stressful conditions it would be a short time posistive, but we all know the long term effects.
Life is a struggle, keep struggling OC and all you other fellows.

FlyFishMich
08-02-2004, 09:59 PM
OC, have to disagree about the gum being a short-cut back to the butts...its 10:30pm right now and I am only on my second piece of the 2mg ("half-strength") stuff for the day! It seems like everyday it gets a little easier and I am reaching less and less for the gum. To me, the gum is a security blanket thats available when I really get the urge rather than going back to my old ways. I went through the first package of orange Nicorette brand, which tasted pretty good, and have moved onto the generic, and less tasty stuff....now I am really feeling less urge because I don't like this gum at all.

Had a very tough time on Saturday, at a party...sort of a "mini-Woodstock" that is held every year at the same place and has a ton of music and lots of beer. Started the tasty beverages at around 1:00pm and it almost got unbearable around 5:00pm or 6:00pm after too many carbonated beverages so I just kept chomping on the gum and made it through the evening. Had I still been smoking, I would have easily chain-smoked 3 packs ($13.50) in just that one day.

I have to respect that you are quitting "cold turkey" but for me I still need the crutch. I am just over 2 weeks on the program and have cut the gum back a lot more drastically than recommended but am feeling fine. Continued good luck to all!

Eddie
08-05-2004, 07:17 AM
"no gum...no urges..." Look Out! Now is when you are most vulnerable....for the next fifteen years or so. It's been about 12 for me, and I still have cravings.
Take it easy with the cigars. Chewing tobaco will start to look good, and don't be surprised when (for the first time in your life probably) smoking a pipe looks cool. :eek:
Crisis, Frustration and Boredom will prove to be the most challenging times. The celebrations, getting together with old friends and cocktails are just as dangerous. Maybe more so.
Good luck (need any help with those Cubans... :wink: )

Roop
08-05-2004, 08:10 AM
I wish everyone who is trying to quit the best of luck!

I had the torturous misfortune of watching my mother die a few years ago.

She beat the lung cancer and then got beat by the secondary brain tumor.

Watching her health wither, then watching her lose her mental abilities is enough to keep me from ever starting.

Any smokers with any family should think twice before lighting up again.

FishHawk
08-06-2004, 06:53 AM
Glad people quite smoking. As a guy with Asthma when your in a room full of smoke it's tough to breath. Great news. FishHawk.

FlyFishMich
09-20-2004, 10:33 PM
Thought that I would rehash this one to see how everyone is doing so far? 2+ months now smoke-free and I haven't coughed in about 6 weeks...amazing how all these years I was blaming my persistent cough on "post-nasal drip" when it was actually my 1-2 pack a day addiction. I am still chewing the occasional piece of "wacky gum" but that is becoming increasingly infrequent.

I will be on the South coast of Rhody 10/4-10/7 if anybody wants to visit me at the "former smokers clave" at Weekapaug :chuckle: :hihi: :D

Thanks again for whoever started this post...it was a great inspiration at just the right time!

Hawkeye
09-21-2004, 08:19 AM
2 days short of 2 months since my last dip and the cravings are still there but I'm still quit unless you count the 4 cigs I had with the poagy oil at the boneclave and the one I had with my bro 3 wks ago whilst looking for tuna. The cravings are still there and I need to take them seriously but so far so good.

Skilly
09-21-2004, 08:53 AM
I`m doing ok. None since 5 Jan 04. Its been tough but so far I am proud of myself.

Skilly

Adrian
09-23-2004, 08:42 AM
It will be three years for me in November.
Keep it up guys :D

Maxg
10-15-2004, 12:56 AM
Here in Aust a large number of people are getting at a company which made and sold a product called fibro cement. Used to build millions of houses over 50 plus years. The "fibro" bit of the fibro cement was asbestos. As it aged it started to give of minute fibres which people ingest.
They though they could escape the billion dollar bill resulting from lung cancer by moving head office overseas, but it looks like they are going to have to hit the bank to pay the bill. Its pretty much like the tobacco companies.
Right now out here, you can't smoke in trains, busses, taxis, diners or supermarkets. Its no smoking in most pubs,and smoking is slowly being banned except on the top of mountain ranges out of sight and smell of anyone. In fact you can be fined $200 if you get caught smoking in trains and busses.
We are eventually going to be smoke free, and one day it will be illegal to sell cigarettes. Buy one way of reducing smoking is to tax it heavily. One carton of fags, $86 aus, $62us. I'll bet you don't pay that for a carton of smokes.
Max