FF Class Needed [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: FF Class Needed

Lefty
07-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Got a group of about 1/2 dozen grad students and advisors at MIT looking for a weekend away for their annual outing. This year they decided to do a FF class. Anyone got any ideas or recomendations? All I can think of is the LL Bean course. Doesn't Orvis run a class? Hmmm....

Lefty

striblue
07-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Whats the male/ female ratio???????????????? :devil:

Lefty
07-13-2004, 11:18 AM
50/50.

Jeez,
thought I'd get swamped with replies. Ok, they got $$ too. Cape Cod, Maine, Vermont, are all options.

Lefty

Tod D
07-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Lefty,

Big vote for LLBean. McCauley Lord is top notch & I've heard nothing but high praise from everyone I know who's gone attended one of their sessions.

My brother & a sales rep of his did the Orvis one in VT, stayed at the Equinox etc. Said it was good, but definitely high brow.

juro
07-13-2004, 11:49 AM
If they are interested in Cape Cod I am sure the Mayor and I could put together a very informative and educational coastal flyfishing package within the Monomoy Wildlife Refuge.

jared
07-13-2004, 12:09 PM
Definitely go w/ LL Bean.

striblue
07-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Don't listen to Jared!.... Juro and I could do something...I have the Advanced School at Orvis at FTC which is not is session during the summer...it will start up in the fall again and It is out of Fishing The Cape the Harwich Orvis Store.... BUT...I have a curiculum for the Advanced School and Juro has his video and other material... and we would do a great job and I will have alot of jokes too, Terry, you know that. :hihi: :wink: .... Also a lesson in basic Fly tying would be part of it...a clouser and deceiver...things like that.... they would end up with a good session and we could do it when they are available providing we have notice. So lets do it....

FrenchCreek
07-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Go with forum sponsors!
Juro & Striblue can handle the group, Juro gets the guys :razz:
and John can induct the girls in the CAC :razz:

jared
07-14-2004, 02:11 PM
Terry,

You have a PM.

-j

striblue
07-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Terry.... let us know.... and what did Jared PM you about?...LL Bean??????

Lefty
07-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Seems I broke a forum rule about non-sponsors and stuff. Was unaware and I think my membership here will remain intact. :cool: Sorry.

Anyway, if you've ever worked with physicists you'd know know why I directed them to the other more "institutionalized" classes. No offense but normally I would not hesitate to send you guys relatives, friends, or any other group. But these folks are professionally intertwined with me and this get's it out of my realm of responsibility (not to mention how delicate they are). Thanks for the help.
BTW Striblue- Jared PM-ed me and we gossiped big time about you. Now I know why you go to South Beach so early everyday....and I thought you were fishing.

Lefty

juro
07-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Terry, Jared -

I would have to differ with your opinions on this matter, for what it's worth.

I am familiar with institutionalized angling schools. Some run hundreds of students through per month in peak season, so the odds are the so-so casters and somewhat there anglers you see nowadays have likely attended these classes. This is not a reflection on the instructors, they are top notch and sometimes achieve miracles. This is a statement about the approach of a large volume business.

If we are talking about learning lets say striper fishing, from soup to nuts, you're not going to gain the proper insights to become a fisherman on a lawn or parking lot in a tourist town. If their objective is to learn the physics of casting and an angling method for short casts geared toward trout, I would imagine these institutionalized classes would be a great start. But the end result would be a person most of us could fish circles around. They wouldn't stand a chance on Monomoy, for instance. They'd never catch a fish at Big Girl even with a stream of cows coming by. The surf would pound them to submission. I am very confident I could deliver a much more insightful experience based on my understanding of the game, not just the mechanics.

I've been a hardcore angler since very young, and take pride in my combined knowledge of the pursuit and communication of fishing mechanics, casting, sight fishing techniques, behavoiral patterns of fish and their prey, etc - which for the most part I have held in check with Forum members. Since I am the founder of the forum (perhaps a sign of my dedication to flyfishing) I tend to be shy about pushing my guiding or casting involvement on the membership unlike some founders who more the other direction. Nothing wrong with keeping a low profile, but frankly most members have no clue about my alter ego.

In my recent FFF certification studies, I've invested perhaps more hours of two-handed casting study than some anglers have spent single-handed casting all season so as to be prepared for the test. I've partaken in 38 instruction scenarios ranging from short interactions at claves to full day classes and private instruction between the San Francisco Golden Gate Casting Club event and the date of my test with Simon Gawesworth in June. I have 4-6 more instructional appointments tentatively planned, both single and two-handed, over the next week. In addition to my two-handed regimen add my single handed casting, angling and guiding hours to that total and I would argue that my hours far exceed the average institutionalized instructor who is focused primarly on casting.

My point is, you really don't know what my instructional abilities are and unless you've taken the "institutionalized" classes yourself you have nothing to compare against either. That's neither here nor there, but my point is, I am of the belief that large institutionalized flyfishing schools are effective at dispensing a thin layer of knowledge across a large number of people. I was at the counter at a large shop that runs lots of classes when a "graduated" student came in with a leader that had come off. He said he could not fish all day because of the mishap, and needed it fixed before the next day when he planned to fish. He asked how much it would cost to have repaired. I shook my head and walked out.

A good instructor can work closely with individuals and adapt to the thinking patterns of the student within scenarios that cultivate ability, not just exposure. Of course the student must be receptive and able, and there are good days and bad days for both student and teacher. There are many factors in the exchange that influence it's outcome. But having been in this game for years now and taking this much more seriously of late, I respectfully disagree that a bulk class could be superior to a personalized program.

To stand behind my claim, why don't you let me see if I can diagnose any casting nuances of your casting. Most likely advanced casters like you have very few or none, and it would not be an easy task - but it would be good fun. Then I will ask you to critique my casting, I have faults like everyone and do not take offense. It's all positive if you learn something.

Bring someone who you would like to have introduced to fly casting along. Let me teach them the basics for an hour. Maybe we could leave them with a newfound skill.

Let me know, I would love to do it - and no there is no deposit required and I don't need a credit card number to hold your place.

Juro

Lefty
07-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Wow! Too much to reply to. You've certainly helped me in my casting, especially the back cast. Your post is a pseudo resume. Some things in there I wasn't aware of.
Could you arrange lodging for groups too in peak season on the cape? And, lastly are there insurance concerns? I know that was an issue for Guiding a few years ago. Also, what's the URL for your site?

Lefty (the young handsome one, not the old fart who does the FFing show circuit)