Burrowing Crab? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Burrowing Crab?

striblue
07-10-2004, 04:27 PM
I am thinking and working on trying to come up with a crab pattern that will burrow itself... Having had refusials on twiiching.... but reactions on the single fish seeing the crab apple, swimming over... I have been observing the small green/brown crabs swiming around the bottom and burrowing themselves... I am thinking that if I can do the crab , so as it is seen by the single, and I see the fish swim over...if I can slowing, barely move it so that it buries itself...the fish might not take so long in staring at it...and grab it where he thinks he saw it...it's a stretch and I need to figure out the weight I need on the flange.... the sharpness of the flange and crab back, as well as the hook eye position... this prototype will be only to test the flang angle on sand...I will look to prober weighting and hopefully simplify the tying.... this would be for those single fish.

FishHawk
07-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Brilliant!!! Hope it works could be the key to unlocking some jaws on the Flats.
FishHawk

CascoBay
07-10-2004, 09:19 PM
John,
I would think if you get a shot on a single where the sand is the softer. I think people know what I mean, you walk on it and sink 5 inches.... that the slightst twitch should burrow the fly. I am working on a new weight sand eel patter with no dumbell eyes wher I am hoping to achieve the same result.