maxing out a 10wt? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: maxing out a 10wt?

BigDave
07-08-2004, 05:18 PM
I'm looking for line reccomendations for getting mega-deep with a 10wt rod.

I used a 450grn rio last weekend which did the job but I'm wondering if I can go any heavier without stressing out the rod. This line will do double duty for wading so it will need to be managable with a stripping basket.

The Rio lines seem to have the fastest sink rate per-grain.

For comparison

Cortland 444 QD 625 Grain = 9ips

RIO Striper 450 Grain = 9-9.5ips

Any suggestions/opinions appreciated :D

rooster
07-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Dave,
I have used a shooting head made out of 30' of LC -13. I put braided loops on each end and use a rio clear intermediate running line (I think it is .30 diameter, but am not sure of this). I have used this on a 9 wt Sage RPLX many times, it gets down deep, quickly and it is a pretty cheap setup.
You may want to try it.
Tight lines and it was good fishing with you last month.
Dennis

FredA
07-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Rio has tungsten heads that might suit your purpose. I test cast a Teeny line at Monomoy yesterday that was a super thin sinking line. Had to be pretty dense stuff. The QD's must use a lower density, thus fatter, line compared to some of the others. JFBasser bought some of those Rio tungsten filled heads. Maybe he'll comment.

Brian Simonseth
07-09-2004, 01:45 AM
Big Dave
Rio make a poduct called T-14 (13.7 grains per foot)
Call your local Rio dealer

juro
07-09-2004, 07:20 AM
Big Dave -

I have a bulk spool of T-14. I'll gladly exchange some for a cold beer and some steamers at the fishermens hut one of these weekends. I am guiding this weekend - are you on cape? If so can bring it along.

BigDave
07-09-2004, 08:20 AM
Thanks all.

What is the running line of choice for the T-14?

Juro, I'll be down. Drop me a line. Cold beer is something we always have
readily available :lildevl:

jimS
07-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Big Dave, As Rooster said, the Rio shooting line handles well. It is called Powerflex Core Shooting Line. While it comes in floating, intermediate and floating/intermediate tip, using T-14/LC-13 shooting heads, the intermediate is the way to go. Two sizes are available, .030 and .035. For the 9wt, .030 @25lb test is fine. For heavier weights, I use the .035. This running line appears to be identical to the running lines for their integrated shooting head systems.

While some people favor braided loops for connecting running lines to heads, I use double nail knots for both the running line and shooting heads. Small loops with an application of Knot Sense over the nail knots provides a smooth and strong connection.

Simms

juro
07-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Good recommendation above for running lines. Jim I'll have to try the knot sense.

I also really like the Rio 50# slickshooter man does it shoot and tangles very little, feels beefy in the hands. The new Miracle Braid from Airflo is a dream come true in that it shoots like brad but has a no-stretch braid and coating to reduce the mileage on the stripping finger. For two-handed strip retrieve you can't beat it.

Dave, no specifics... but can you describe the situation you are going after?

BigDave
07-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Thx again guys.

Yep, the situation is this:

Couple miles offshore, rippin' current, 50+ feet of water, fish are 25-30 ft down.

Cast upcurrent. Let entire line out to acheive maximum depth. Strip fly more or less vertically under the boat and through current swing. Down and dirty.

juro
07-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the clarification.

So you aren't happy with all those 30-40 inch keepers lounging around the sand eel rafts in open waters and have to go for the 50" fish down in the rips, I see! ;) ;)

T14 is approx 14 grains per foot. I would think that you could manage 450-500 grains on your 10wt depending on make and model. 35 ft should do it. Any stroke out of cadence or an accidental bow rail encounter could mean rod breakage with that much density whipping around so it's best to avoid going too much over.

The real advantage to T14 is it's thin diameter combined with it's density once in the water. It slices where some lines sail in the water.

Because of the inherent stiffness to LC13, I find that it actually turns over a little nicer than T14 when used as a full head. T14 is better as a sinking tip material but because the energy wave tends to flow right through the end of the head, a little stiffness dissipates energy and holds the loop shape further thru the casting distance.

For this application I would highly recommend the slickshooter because it will slice the current better than larger diameter running lines while feeling beefy in the hands. 50# flourescent green, about $10.

Big squid patterns have been best for me in the rips. Good luck Mr.Phelps.

BigDave
07-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Juro thanks for the advice. I'll see about picking up the Slickshooter. If you help me set them up when you stop by there might be a dram of Maker's Mark in it for you :chuckle:

So loops or a nail knot make an acceptable connection? Jim did you mean nail-knot the running line directly onto the head?

juro
07-09-2004, 10:44 AM
Per the slickshooter...

The best method is to do a blind splice of the slickshooter right into the core of the t14.

The advantage is you won't even feel the joint, the disadvantage is that after you fall in love with the slickshooter you won't be able to exchange heads if you splice.

I tied a quick loop in the end and went fishing with intent to make an official loop later. Many big fish later, it's still the original parking lot perfection loop. I guess it really doesn't matter all that much because the stuff is super strong. I have only been fishing it on the Atlantis so can't really say how it will fish on the singlehand rod. I will attest that you can handle at least 80ft of it in the stripping basket without a problem.

On the t-14 end, I would recommend a very thin diameter braided nylon loop nail knotted over the far end of the braid to allow enough Chinese finger trap effect to occur on the remainder of the braid. Making your own is the best approach because you can control the braid, length, size of loop, etc. Cortland sells a loop tool for approx $3 and it comes in small and large sizes, very handy. You can also use the dental floss trick with a needle eye to pull the braid inside itself.

In any case, no need to get fancy. You could do an albright and go fishing if you didn't mind the clunk thru the guides.

grego
07-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Juro,

Can you give some info on retialers for both the T-14 & the SlickShooter?

Thanks

juro
07-09-2004, 11:56 AM
I recall talking about this stuff recently with Scott, our sponsor at Bears Dean in Taunton www.bearsden.com. He would be your best bet.

jimS
07-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Dave, double nail knot on both shooting line and shooting head to form a loop-to-loop connection. Double nail knot with 8-10lb tippet material, lightly coat with knot sense.

Juro, I think Rio has dropped the Slickshooter line this year. Might want to stock up with remaining inventories. The new running line has a mono core that would make a blind splice into the head a nice option.

Simms

jimS
07-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Juro, Slickshooter is still available from Rio. Checked with my dealer today, and it is still listed. My mistake.

Simms