Fly Swap- Olive over White Clouser [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly Swap- Olive over White Clouser

03-14-2001, 03:27 PM

My go to fly the past two years. When all else fails no matter what the conditions this fly seemed to produce the most for me.

Basic Clouser pattern with a few tweeks. Instead of a plain body, I wrap the first layer of white bucktail with pearl flash (angel hair or other) from the bend to the eyes. This gives a nice body appearance and a good look in the water. The other thing I like is to keep the olive fairly prominent towards the head with a few wisps near the tail. Just a personal preference.

05-05-2001, 07:36 AM
When you wrap that first layer of bucktail with pearl flash, are you then wrapping mono around it or just thread? Or anything? Basically, how does it stay?

I tried tying it last night and tried to use pearl body gauze, but I don't want to ruin the flashiness with thread. Suggestions?

05-07-2001, 08:15 AM
I usually wrap the layer of bucktail the length of the shank to give a nice flat layer. Then, I lay a slim line of superglue along the shank. I then wrap the flashabou or whatever else I have around trying to move the superglue with the wraps. It makes for a pretty good connection, and as the flashabou frays from use, it becomes like a dubbed body. You could run some mono over it, or even a light coating of softex or maybe even epoxy. Haven't tried either, but that gets me thinking...
Hope that helps.

05-07-2001, 01:34 PM
Ok, thanks. I'll give it a shot. I tried tying it with mono and it worked pretty well, but it's a real pain. Would be great if they made body gauze with a sticky backing for wrapping so it would just stay while you wrap it on.